Waze (App)

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by diVeFR, Oct 3, 2013.

1. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    So I know there are a few of you out there that are tech savvy so I have something to share. If you hate traffic, or if you are being a "spirited" rider on the roads like I am from time to time and you want to avoid the police, this apps' for you.

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

Its free. (for Apple Iphone users, cant say for sure for Android) This app shows real time where cops, traffic, accidents, and will even give you alternate routes. This app works just like a GPS.

How this works is that other people on Waze report the above items. If something has changed (ie. sneaky cop hiding left to get his donuts) it gives drivers a choice to pic on screen if the cop is there or not or if an accident has cleared. This is all on the touch screen and since I am wearing gloves I cant choose the change. It even has voice prompts.

Maybe this will help a few of you (or even me) getting a performance award from the police. Enjoy.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Just downloaded it. If it is based on other peoples input, it may not work as well as one might hope, as timing is everything. Have you used it yet?

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What prevents anyone from tossing out bogus shit including advertising? Then ya got the "save the world" dudes who need to tell everyone that some other dude is tossing out bogus shit and next some moron who is more interested in what is onscreen assends a semi.

Otherwise this sounds like a great app. I am signing up this very moment to tell the world about BB's Famous Jo-Jo's.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I have this app try it one, cannot say it usefull cause I only have one way to ride to work and back. Seem logic for cager that need real time report.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Where I see it being useful is on roads like ACH or areas like Malibu or Palomar, but again, if it's based on other peoples input, what prevents "spamming" and misinformation being posted.

6. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Been using it a while and it is my go to app when traveling :)

7. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes I have used it. It updates as other Wasers' drive by and report. I use it mainly to BOLO cops. :behindsofa: It doesn't take in to effect if there is a cop that is driving. Could there be bogus reports... of course...but all you have to do (if your in a cage) is select the "not there" button and it goes away for everybody. Or you can report a new "hazard" if its not yet on the map.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Sounds like a real sporting thing. Wished I was not retired so I could partake in the new technological hunt. I used to love catching people with their radar detectors just a blaring away. JK...or not...maybe just sometimes.

9. Badbilly

United States
    For about five USD which is roughly $600.00 Canadian, a radar detector can be made silent. Using the earplug jack an LED a couple of resistors and a suction cup there is sufficient power to light up the LED. They have built ins for helmets but they are a lot more than five USD.

Tried the in helmet speaker route once. POS ! Function over form wins again..;)

10. JacksonAces

JacksonAces New Member

Here in Europe, waze is amazing, because it tells you where the traffic cameras are. So useful on the little mountain roads I love to ride.

But now Google bought the company, and is incorporating its' best features into google maps. Love having this on my phone, mounted in the mount I built with the powered USB on the bike. Good times.

~Jack

11. Badbilly

United States
    Interesting feature... Seems I read that in NZ they tried cams and the bike guys were not getting busted (cited) because they had on helmets and were not recognizable.. I wonder if spotting cams other than the traffic sort is part of the deal. One small burg near my hood here has sixteen cams in a town of about 3500. One is disguised as a birdhouse..

12. JacksonAces

JacksonAces New Member

Here they have to be large and bright orange, but that still doesn't help when you are coming around a corner, or if it is between buildings in a small town. And I typically don't get cited here because I ride in Italy on american plates.

13. Badbilly

United States
    This one is easily spotted due to lack of birdshit on it..

Are your plates US or one of the states? Interesting... Now if I could get some plates from say Nigeria or East Timor that might work here too..;)

14. JacksonAces

JacksonAces New Member

The plates are NC plates. My official residence is still there, though I have moved to Europe for the next few years.

15. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok I have been using this frequently here in Houston. Its pretty spot on. Out of 10 reports of police, only 2 of the reports of police was not where they said. That doesn't mean that the cops were not there previously. It has voice navigation guidance that warns you of traffic, cops, ect. It will even give you alternate routes. I have used it for trips to Austin and to this recent trip to the Three Sisters here in Tx.

Drawbacks of the App: Seems to work well where there are a lot of people using the App. Between Houston on Austin there are a lot of open/farm areas. Not to many people to post where 5-0 is in the small towns. It takes an average speed of all Waze users on whatever road your on. So if someone who has Waze and is stuck in traffic and you are the Ahole that has Waze on a bike and your in the HOV lane or lane splitting,:potstir: it screws with the average speed that everyone else sees.

I really like this app and I recommend it. Anyways its a free app....If you don't like it and it doesn't work for you....delete it....

16. tiki01

tiki01 New Member

United States
    Map
    I use waze on and off in the car. Love the traffic, accident and police report. I'll punch in local gas station prices if bored and I'm the passenger. Have not tried it on the bike yet. The thing I do not like is it seems to not get GPS reception when I want to use the app most...so I would say it's nice to have but not to rely solely on.

17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Most the time, when I am pulling the fifth wheel, I don't need a radar detector at all or any other of those fancy electronic devices. I have my wife that clatters away even when there may not be police around, if I am over the speed limit.