Waxes, polishes and cleaners; what do you use?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stellenbrav, Mar 7, 2008.

1. stellenbrav

stellenbrav New Member

Let me first apoligize if this thread is repetitive, but a search didn't reveal any others on the subject. I would like to know what waxes, polishes and cleaners you have had good like with. There are so many products out there that promise to cut down on cleaning time and elbow grease but I'm not to keen on spraying my bike down with some unknown methyl-ethyl-badstuff with uncertain effects. So what works best for you guys :biggrin: (and what don't:eek: ). Thanks

2. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Try this thread LINK

Action

3. indyvfr

indyvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    I found the following work very well, but there are tons of products that work well. I use Simple Green on my bicycles as a cleaner/degreaser and is environmentally friendlier than some products.

-Hondabrite spray cleaner (same thing as S100 total cycle cleaner) for every surface to clean after a long ride (used with water), I don't use this on the chain; great on brake dust
    -Triflow w/ teflon to clean/lubricate chain about every 300 miles
    -Plexus spray cleaner/polish to give all the plastic bodywork, dash and windscreen a nice wax job. Use this on my faceshield on my helmet too
    -The original spray cleaner & polish for the gas tank for a final polish
    -Used Silkolene Pro-prep to put a nice sheen and condition all metal parts over the winter after cleaning up the bike (contains silicone, just keep away from rotors & tires).

I use a very soft microfiber cloth on the windscreen and a soft wash mitt on rest of the bike. Just make sure not to use any vinyl or rubber protectant on the tire sidewalls. I've seen people do this-bad idea.

4. elf800

elf800 Banned

depending how dirty but the car wash is fine just dont spray reall hard up close then use a chamy (sp)to dry then i use mequiars polish takes out swirl marks then carnuba wax the old fashion kind with elbow grease..... but i promise u this the paint on your bike will be a deep wet glow not to toot my own horn but have had many completments of how clean and bright my bike looks i have been doing this since 1987 (ninja 600 first street bike) on all my street bikes and cars and never had the paint dull on my motorcycles its worth the effort if clean ill use the qwick detail usually i clean my bike after i ride it so next time i get to ride it looks great. ill get a pic of my bike on here soon ,you can comb your hair in the shine of the tank 07rwb.........

5. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

The one and only, Honda Polish:

[​IMG]

Keeps me looking this good...

[​IMG]

6. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    i agree with everybody on the honda stuff but i use zaino bros. products. i know alot of people swear by meguires, but this is my personal preferance. now most of their products are only a polish but i think they now have a wax. if you follow their instuctions and use the proper products and procedures they have on the website it will shine really good and have a nice slick feel to it when done. im not for sure if they mention it but i always start by cleaning all painted surfaces with a clay bar and rewash. also i know this is going to sound stupid but i have seen something similar done, do not armorall the seat. i feel it makes it too slippery to ride properly and armorall also causes vinyl to shrink over time. so if you want to take a look you can go and look around they also have photos of cars that it has been used on.http://www.zainostore.com

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Damn SLO, you beat me to it, but you forgot the Plexus for the screen.

8. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the Plexus... For obvious reasons.

The Honda Polish just does so well I don't need to use anything else. It's time for its semi-annual wash though. I'll be busting out the burbujas de lempieza, aka. scrubbing bubbles, for the really nasty bits.

9. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    Honda polish for pretty much everything, except the real dirty areas.

10. EVvy

EVvy New Member

+1 for the Honda Polish. Bought some 3M "finesse it 2"?? for a few minor scratches - dont ask