Water Wetter vs. Antifreeze

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by SilverSurferRWB, Mar 18, 2007.

1. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    After reading a few threads about the running temperature of my beloved VFR, I had someone suggest running Water Wetter with water instead of antifreeze. I commute on my bike about 50 miles a day in sometimes heavy traffic. Does anyone have any experience with this or is it a bad idea?

2. meddle1999

meddle1999 New Member

Map
    well use this info however you wish.... i use water wetter in every liquid cooled engine i own. why? Well I own a 98 ktm 300exc when i was in my first gncc race i blew a water pump seal . race over.. replaced the seal all was good.. second gncc of the year.. middle of the special test... pooff.... water pump seal/pre ignition.... bike REALLY hot... race over. well upon further investigation i found that this model year had some issues with cooling/WP seal failure. so upon changing the seal for the third time i decided to take some precautions. I ran a 70/30 distilled water/silica free antifreeze mix with 1 cap full of water wetter per 250 ml it is now 2007 and many races later and im still running the same water pump seal...I was sold. Great product.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I'm with SS800 - Has anybody tried a non antifreeze type coolant? They will make you use it on a track day, but I was wondering if anybody has gone and made it permanent?

MD

4. PicVFR

PicVFR New Member

Water Wetter is more appropriate for the track where you temperature will stay more consistent and cooler. Running hard on the track where there are no traffic jams, red lights and idling will actually keep and engine cooler than that other stuff. Anti-freeze has a greater effective range for the engine.

You can bet the manufacturers would be using/recommending products like Water Wetter if it was better for their engines in normal use.

5. meddle1999

meddle1999 New Member

Map
    antifreeze does not lower the operating temperature it actually inhibits waters ability to cool an engine. It lowers the freezing point and also lubricates thats all. water wetter enables water to stick or hold onto the internal passages more effectively allowing it to take full advantage of waters ability to draw thermal energy out of the engine, therfore lowering its internal temperature.

6. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    I use distilled water (if I can find it), anti-freeze (sillycone freee) and water wetter. I use the suggested ratio, and haven't had any problems while riding my bike in Vegas. Here in Germany it doesn't get that hot, and I'm a wuss, and don't ride when it's really cold, or raining out.

7. Taz

Taz New Member

:clap2: Exactly !

I run 50%distilled water/50% silica free antifreeze & water wetter for street & off road.
    Track day's & racing I use distilled water & water wetter only, "BUT" if temps drop below freezing when parked, you must drain out the water & water wetter because it "WILL freeze" (trust me, I know, I live in Utah) up in your motor, components & radiator, causing serious damage.
    I have a heated garage & a custom fitted heated blankets for the bikes(Track/Race Bikes).

The Glycol/water/water wetter mix "WILL NOT" freeze with this mix in your bike, & will provide a cooler running temp & better lubrication for your water pump. Win, win if you ask me & I also run it in my cars & trucks.:smile:

8. meddle1999

meddle1999 New Member

Map
    Taz gets it....... wow i accually came across smart the for a bit........... good thin i bin doin my addimecation and lernin' stuff...:wacko: :crazy: