Vtec800 2012 luggage rack

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Palo, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Palo

Palo New Member

Hi
    I have just acquired a 2012 vfr800, cracking:smile-new: bike in white. Iam looking for a luggage rack to strap down some soft bags but all the after market systems seem to go upto 2011 model, did honda change the grab rail set up in 2012 ?

Can anybody give me a steer on a good rack for this bike.

Thanks chaps

G

2. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    We need pictures of your bike. From our knowledge, Honda didn't make a 2012 800. Could be a left over one, could be just a different country kept getting them, could be a 1200. Anyway, post up some pics and someone here will be along shortly to let you know what years will fit your bike.

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I think the grab rail set up was the same for 2006-2013 European models. The stock grab rails were however removed and replaced if the bike had the full factory luggage mounting rack fitted, which was needed to carry the OEM panniers and top box system.

I wonder if people are getting confused with the fact the 800 VFR was subject to a major rework from model year 2014, or perhaps the accessory manufacturers have not bothered to keep their suitability listings up to date. The big problem with using soft luggage on the VFR is the under-seat exhaust system. Whilst it is not impossible - as Randy demonstrated a while back - see here

http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/29273/title/retirement-tour/cat/503

You need to take care to mount the luggage securely across the pillion seat without potentially touching the exhaust.

SkiMad

4. Gweglez

Gweglez New Member

Map
    It's more than likely you have an earlier year registered on a 12/62 plate. Look under the seat, model info is though, luggage rack will be the same as no changes were made after 2006 until the new model

5. Palo

Palo New Member

Thanks chaps, very good of you to confirm things for me. This is my 2nd 800 and the 2012 plate does seem to exactly the same as my previous 2009 version. I will now find a suitable rack on ebay or some place.

Thanks again