VTEC valvetrain chatter

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by OSA 06, May 24, 2016.

1. OSA 06

OSA 06 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, I haven't been on here in quite a while.... but here's what I've got

2002 vfr800 around 16-17k miles, so time for first valve lash check. Normally I wouldn't even bother. But the real question is have any of you guys noticed fairly loud valvetrain chatter when the VTEC kicks in?? It seems like the chatter has gotten a bit louder over the past couple years. Let me know what you guys think.

2. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    How do you hear anything besides the exhaust roar and wind noise when VTEC kicks in?

3. OSA 06

OSA 06 New Member

United States
    Map
    It's actually when I'm cruising through town at 7k RPM or higher... the clatter is pretty noticeable while at low speeds. I don't really feel like the VTEC valves should be this noisy after they kick in??

4. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    VTEC noise IS rather loud and noticeable. You have two more valves per cylinder waking up for a total of eight. At your bike's low mileage (for a 2002 it hasn't been ridden much at all), I doubt if it needs any valve adjustment in spite of what Honda recommends. I would put some Mobil 1, or whatever brand you like, 10W-40 synthetic in it and ride it like I stole it. It's damned hard to break a VFR engine.

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I noticed mine this year kicking in harsher than normal ... the "CLACK" it makes upon engagement is louder than my last 2002. It's not a clatter / chatter ... it's one single loud 'clack' upon engagement.

The bike had 9,900 km's on it when it replaced my other 2002 at the end of last summer. It was only ridden for 7 of the 13 years prior with 2011 being the most recent. I suspect everything is a little 'sticky' right now as a result so I want to get at least one more oil change and my trip out of the way to see if it gets better / worse / stays the same.

It got much better after getting rid of the mouse condo in my airbox and putting in a fresh air filter, removing the snorkel, and modding the flapper. I also suspect a good starter valve adjustment will smooth it out further.

I plan on doing the valve clearances this winter and inspecting the cam chain tensioners, but if it doesn't get much better after the trip, I will dive into when I get home.