VSTROM to VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by michael.offworld, May 22, 2010.

1. michael.offworld

michael.offworld New Member

Map
    I've always wanted a VFR but could never afford one. Now, a 2008 800 is within my reach. But I bought a 650 VSTROM two years ago and am still making payments. Is it worth biting the difference between trade in and loan payout to get my dream bike? Am I chasing a false dream?

The Stom is fine, but I've had to change everything to make it comfortable (seat, windscreen, risers). And I'm still not totally satisfied.

Will the VFR kill me? I want hard bags and will probably travel 2 hours as my longest ride. I'd like to do the all-day tour, but my kids are young and can't really get away that long.

I had a FZ6 just before the Strom and found the upper back pain motivating enough to get the STROM.

Anyone else make a similar change?

I wonder if I'm just wanting a new bike because I'm a generally unsatisfied person. Might be better for me to appreciate what I got!

2. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    Seems like you have alot invested with the VStorm to make it more personal. You described yourself to be 'unsatisfied', you may (or may not) find further disappointment with VFR. Either way you're losing out on money, just dont make it worst with the "should have could have". If you're really itching for VFR, just test ride it a few times, do the math on trade-in/loan payout, figure on what you might need to invest in aftermarket equipment, then make a logical decision. You currently have a worthy bullet proof machine, stick with it - that's the best I can give you~

3. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    Have you considered finding a local Honda dealer that's having a demo day and taking one for a spin? or a local forum member that will swap bikes on a ride to check out? I went from a 600 Katana to an 06 vfr so I don't find the seating anymore aggressive. The V-strom to vfr looks to be a big change in riding position.

Also depending on the deal your getting, and where you live in Alberta, you may want to consider finding a US bike in one of the bordering States and importing. Prices are finally dropping here on used bikes after more and more people start importing from the US or buying from Quebec. Local bikes bike sales have been slow due to the deals a few hours out of province.

And lastly before I click post reply, what do you want out of your bike? your coming from a semi dual-sport touring bike to a sport touring bike with (in my opinion) the emphasis on sport :D.

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Kobe is right but if I owned both,the Suzuki would be parked unless the VFR was broke down.

5. julianivfr

julianivfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    Nitro BCSnowcat, input, please.

6. Gama1

Gama1 New Member

I just sold a 2008 V-Strom to buy my 2007 RWB. I loved my V-Strom. I choose to make the change based on performance. If you had to put risers on your V-Strom to be comfortable the VFR will probably not work for you. I found the V-Strom to be very very comfortable after adding a Gel Seat, V-Stream Windshield and Alaskan Sheepskin Seat Cover. I have added a Sargent Seat, 3/4 inch risers and a Zero Gravity Windshield to the VFR. I still am working on building up strength in my wrists and adjusting my overall riding position.

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    There is no doubt that the VSTROM is a more comfortable bike so your decision to get a VFR shouldn't be based on your desired comfort level. While the VFR is classified as "Sport Touring," the emphasis is more on sport then the touring aspect. If you will only be riding for a couple hours at a time I think the VFR will be fine but at minimum you'll need risers and a new seat to make it a bit more comfy. From what you have described I would keep the VSTROM unless your specific goal is to have a motorcycle that you can push harder in the twisties.

Rollin

8. michael.offworld

Map
    Thanks for the sober advice friends. This is really a heart vs. brain question. My brain says stay put with the Wee Strom, but my heart says VFR VFR VFR. Really, a man needs to have two machines, right? One for the logical, rational man (the tool). And the other for the heart (the toy).

I'll probably stick with the Wee -- I ride on straight-line prairie roads -- and find a way to justify having two bikes.

The thing is, I'm not getting any younger (44). If I'm going to be able to physically adapt to a sport bike, now is the time ...

9. VFRod

VFRod New Member

You could always pick up an earlier model (5th or even 4th gen), save some cash & then have the best of both worlds.

10. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    Don't sell yourself short @ 44 - you're not dead yet!

I did my test at 44 and 1st bike was a SV650S. I was 48 last year and swapped to the VFR then. Best decision I made.

It takes a while to get ride fit/used to the position but not really a problem I found. PLUS it really brings the kid out in you as I reminded myself blasting it out of a roundabout on Saturday up to about 11k revs :)

Deffo take one out for a decent ride around.

11. Ancon

Ancon New Member

United States
    Map
    I did just that about a month ago--went from an 06 Wee to a 2001 VFR. Exact reason you mention too--always wanted a VFR, love the look/style, etc. In addition, I had to mod the wee--windshield, seat, handlebar changes--to make it fit. Am I glad I did? Yes and no. While I do love the VFR--mine has the gear driven cams (sweet), and there's definitely more engine, there are some things I miss with the wee.

The vstrom is the kind of bike I felt like I could just get on and ride--comfortable, not intimidating--even when you twist the throttle, the bike always felt under control.
    With the VFR, I feel the ride is much more engaging--immediate throttle response, sportier position--feel like I'm part of the bike as I go through turns, brake, pass cars, etc. With the wee, I felt like I was sitting "on" the bike. With the VFR, I feel like I'm sitting "in".

If I had to contrast the 2; the wee is like driving a Ford Explorer--reliable, do-anything, comfortable, go down a gravel road/trail, etc. The VFR is like a BMW 3 series--more focused, more sporty fun, less comfortable. The Wee kinda lugs along, while the VFR 'zips' (if that makes any sense at all).

If you're commuting a few miles to work, down straight roads, then I would probably stick with the Vstrom. If you want more of a cool factor, more power, sharper focus, get a VFR--but don't let anyone kid you--the position is MUCH sportier--I'm 43, and if I didn't have bar risers and pegs lowered....

A lot of times I'll read where people "never look back" at their old bike once they've acquired a new one. While I do love my VFR and will keep it--I DO look back. One of these days I'll have a vstrom in the garage too--they are great bikes!

12. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    A sargent seat and helibars can work wonders for the VFR's all day capability.

13. mikromo

mikromo New Member

Jeez dudes........ I'm 59 and recently got a '99 VFR to go with my ZRX1200 (upright position). I took right to the lower bars of the VFR. Works really well 80mph and up. Since I've aquired the Viffer, I've barely ridden the ZRX. I need to ride it all this week as a commuter. The Viff is a heck of a bike, more so when reving to 12K + and hammering the twisty's (Hwy ARK 341 May
    7th) Ark Hwy 123, out of Mount Judiah, Ark Hwy 61, eastbound from 7 hwy. Too much fun!! (Must be a lot of things I've never done, cause I ain't never had too much fun)

14. michael.offworld

Map
    I used these exact words describing the difference between the two bikes to my wife. You must be my long-lost brother.

15. michael.offworld

Map
    I took a 09 VFR for a 90 minute test ride last week. Ancon really found the perfect words to describe the difference.

I felt different pains riding the VFR, but they didn't persist when I stopped riding. A physio friend assured me that the pains I felt were from poor conditioning and bad (non-riding) posture habits. A lifetime of slouching is catching up with me.

I could see myself on the VFR for the pure motorcycle joy of it: riding in the machine instead of just on it. I don't get that passion with the V-Strom.

Now, my decision is complicated by the appearance of 06 ST1300. 25000 km and basically the same price as the new VFR.

I want both bikes, but I can only have one. The question is which one do I want first (I'll have two in about 10 years from now). The other question is which one do I need (the passion and joy thing).

16. michael.offworld

Map
    My 08 VFR is on the way. Gotta go with the heart...

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    cool. here's the obligatory sign: :worthless:

18. michael.offworld

Map
    I will. Should have it by next weekend. Seven sleepless nights to go...

19. plasma

plasma New Member

Map
    Good post.

Plasma.

20. Billygoat

Billygoat New Member

It took me a while to get used to the ergos of the VFR, but I received some good advice on this forum. Squeeze the tank with your knees a bit and use your core to hold yourself upright - it takes the weight off your hands & wrists. It actually works.

I tried out a 650 V-strom 2 months ago...seating position is more comfortable, but the wind was too much. Mind you, there was no aftermarket windscreen on this one.

I really like my VFR. If I ever change to a different bike, it'll be to a bigger touring bike like the ST1300, Yamaha FJR, or Kawi Concourse-14.