Voltmeter install on 2nd Gen. 1986

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by V4toTour, Jul 26, 2014.

1. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Decided to install a voltmeter on the VFR. I looked online and wasn't satisfied with the choices available for motorcycles, and besides a digital readout would look a little out of place on a 30 year old motorcycle. Occured to me to check the local Marine supply shop where I found a voltmeter from Teleflex. Marine gauges are by default waterproof (the face) and fog resistant. Thought it would be ideal for a motorcycle use. Only place I liked to mount it was the left black panel thing.

[​IMG]

Install was pretty simple, hole saw to cut plastic. Mount the gauge. For wiring I tapped the ignition outlet from the main key switch (big black connector infront of fuse box, red wire w/ black stripe) so the gauge comes on when bike is turned to "on". Gauge and bulb are fused. Think it looks pretty good, almost stock in appearance if you didn't know better. Gauge was around 28 bucks, black face Amega model 57901P. I believe you could probably track one down at a bass pro or west marine. Location is perfect and easily visible

2. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

Nice work CB-1. Thanks for the photo and info.

Another good thing about marine gauges is that they tend to be more shock/bump resistant than your average automotive road units. This is why I installed a Marine tachometer on my first 4x4 truck back in late '70s (at the suggestion of an older off-road guy).

Yet another marine gauge plus is that their gauge faces are almost always oriented so that the indicator needle points straight up under normal engine operating parameters (water temp, voltage, etc). This, of course, allows you to monitor the gauge(s) with just a quick glance. Fortunately, many non-marine analog gauges are also designed this way now days. However, this wasn't always the case prior to the '90s or so (at least in my experience).

3. svandekieft

svandekieft New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice job Cb-1. Looks sharp.