Voltage load on R/R.....

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by LayinLow, Mar 16, 2021.

1. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    ...Hey guys, long time no post. As of now I still have my streetfighter VFR and it still makes me smile every time I ride it. All thats left of the original bodywork is the 3-4 piece tail section, and of course that gives me more drama than anything else on the bike! As of now I'm using the center top piece customized to hold up the brake lights because of broken tabs etc, but that piece is now cracking, and I'm going to have to decide if I want to buy the Airtech tail replacement eventually because body parts are impossible to find for this bike, even on ebay. If I did that I would have them leave the back blank instead of cutting out for the stock lights. I would then buy modern LED's and mount them in holes that I drill myself for a custom tail that weighs much less and puts much less stress on the fairings than stock. MY QUESTION: Would having all three taillights as low voltage LED's be too much for the R/R to adjust down to normal running voltage (my plate light is already LED).....or would it be just fine? I don't want to go down another rabbit hole on a bike I 1/2 am trying to sell and 1/2 want to keep:)

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You most certainly will be reducing the electrical load on the RR, which creates more heat , but for tail lights that would amount to only 10W which isn't really that much so the STD RR will be fine. If it had been headlight to led then yes go for the upgrade.

3. LayinLow

LayinLow New Member

United States
    Good to know. The headlights have been converted, but to halogen projector style, not LED. My normal running voltage according to the little volt meter is 13.5 ish