Video Of How NOT To Corner

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by KC-10 FE, Jun 2, 2008.

1. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

YouTube - Parking lot crash

If you need a video showing you exactly how not to ride slow/moderate speed corners, here it is. They have a freaking awesome idea going here, since this particular parking lot is set up perfectly for riding of this sort.

Things done incorrectly:

Body Position
    These two pretty much got it wrong in every corner. If you're going to lean down to the point of scraping pegs, you needs to start repositioning your body to help with traction & CG.

Throttle
    They chopped the throttle mid corner or coasted thru every corner.

Braking
    Use your front brake in the corner & you're playing with fire.

Head & Eye Position
    Both guys looked down at the ground more than where they were going. Consequently, that's where the guy on the rat bike ended up.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I can't watch YouTube at work!

I'll have to check it out when I get home.

BZ

3. ThickToast

ThickToast New Member

United States
    Map
    Slow, Look, Lean and Roll.:vtr2:

4. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Wow, i need to find a better parking lot, that one rocks!

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I missed this one the first time you posted it. too bad the camera guy jumped when the guy bit it. I would like to see how far he slid. He looked very stiff riding. Not very pretty at all. I like that parking lot too, except for when you do fall down, those curbs are hard stops. The MSF uses a big open parking lot here. It's not a great surface though as it is the coarse asphalt so it's gonna hurt if you hit it but they don't get too wild at that course anyway.

6. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

Yikes. thats gonna hurt the checkbook.

why is it every time someone eats it, the camera man forgets how to keep the subject in frame???

Bob

7. seattle86vf500f

seattle86vf500f New Member

Wow, that looked like it hurt .... What should he have been doing differerntly in his turns to prevent that?

Will R. Seattle, WA.

8. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Well Will, from my arm chair postion:

1. Poor body position
    2. Rolling off the throttle, even slightly, when leaned over
    3. tire pressure to high or way too low

Reg and KC had suggestions too.

Reg said the rider looked stiff. If you are stiff as a board while riding it upsets the bikes suspension, makes it hard to turn, brake, just be smooth in general.

BZ

9. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    He was leaned too far over, looked like he was going too slow and may have even turned the wheel too far(couldn't tell if it was before or after the frame sliders caught.

10. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Seattle 86:

Your questions are good, but now I have some questions for you. Have you ever read any of Keith Code’s “Twist of the Wrist” books? Or David Hough’s “Proficient Motorcycling” series?
    In addition, have you ever taken a riding skills class like the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) or any other?

If not, I cannot begin to recommend to you to get the David Hough books and take a class. I know some people are low on cash right now, but they are worth it. Also, if you post up you would like some pointers on cornering your VFR I’m sure someone on here would help.

There are some very proficient riders who would be glad to share their knowledge if you asked.

Just some thoughts.

BZ

11. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

I like watching dumbasses injure themselves. Slow speeds + extreme lean-over without a corresponding shift in body location and throttle application are a proven recipe for exactly what happened. couple of douches.

12. seattle86vf500f

seattle86vf500f New Member

BZ,
    I have not taken a MSF course, nor read the books but will order David Hough’s book when I get home. 3 yrs all weather riding under my belt (mid January to mid December usually) , Last year (which I am not including with my other riding time as it was a bit sporadic) was the first i did not have a bike since I started riding(again) but lucky for me my riding group has a couple extra bikes avail on occasion so still had much enjoyment last year. I would also love to get a MSF course under my belt too. My 86 vf500 is the first sport bike for me, My last bike was a 83 650 nighthawk, and before that was a 84 450 nighthawk. I have enjoyed Triumph rocket III , and a nice honda cruiser (vtx 1800 I think) , so I am ok with a bike having power :) . I believe in all the gear, all the time if I even get on my bike. All this being said, I know nothing about cornering with a sport bike and will definately take your advice and start a thread about tips and pointers on that subject. I do go often with my riding partner to a local lot that is used for MSF courses and has all the obstacles painted there. We make a day of it and practice all the obstacles and techniques that are needed to get endorsment here in WA.

I have been reading on countersteering last few days, In the video link just before he drops it I noticed he was not counter steering but instead steering what seemed to me to be hard right.... I know that at lower speeds counter steering doesn't work.... any thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone btw for a quick response to my earlier question, :cheersaf:

Will R. Seattle, WA.

13. stsai

stsai New Member

seattle86vf500f,
    The MSF course is good, but very basic. Sometimes that's a good thing. It may seem slow and boring, but keep an open mind and it can be very helpful.

I'd like to recommend the advanced MSF course for you since already have a few years of riding under your belt. But from reading your posts, I have a feeling that you should take the basic MSF first, even if it'll be painfully slow for you.

As for the counter-steering, you mentioned that you're reading up on it, well, you're doing it already!...if you're turning, you're counter-steering whether you know it or not. But the MSF (and other courses) emphasize making counter-steering a conscious effort rather than just doing it unconsciously (as you do now), because it's easier to get the desired result when you know how it's technically executed. It's always good to know how something works, even if you're already doing it.

Another option to consider is something like Lee Park's ARC. Although I'd suggest taking the basic MSF first since Lee Park's ARC tends to assume you know certain things before taking the course.

I took it a couple years ago and it was a great experience. More advanced than the MSF offerings, but short of a track day, perfect for honing street skills and safety in my opinion.

14. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    I can second the recommendation for Hough's books...I have the first two and they are very helpful. Even though I didn't have sound on with this video my hunch is that he started doing the last few turns a bit faster than the others and chopped the throttle. He probably wouldn't have gone done if he held a steady throttle, right?

15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah Nung, the steady throttle would have or better yet, the increasing throttle would have helped for sure.

16. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

I was taught in a corner- when in doubt, give it the beans- most of the time throttle helps in corners