VFR800 vs CBR1000RR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rufussrgnt, Nov 17, 2009.

1. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    Hi:

I'm trying to choose between a new '08 CBR1000RR and a '08 VFR800. Both are new left overs and are priced similarly. I've been riding since 1970 and the hottest bike I own is a '95 CB1000 (the monster). I want the CBR but think the VFR would fit my needs better. Why do you ride a VFR? Pro's and con's?

2. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    Like you I was attracted by Hondas discounts and bought a CBR 1000RR; great bike, stable and quick turn in super brakes and ridiculous power but only when you twist the throttle open quickly and or hold it open. Also I have been riding a little before 1970 and own a VFR. If you are going to go on longer rides or sport tour a lot get the VFR if however you commute and ride for an hour most of the time buy the CBR. .

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe a trick question. I too have been on both. and either one is great for the short hops just depends more of what you desire, Like Jimtt said longer rides are better on the VFR but???? that goes with out saying. I'm thinking long and hard to get back to a hyper bike at least for a little while, while I am still able. I'd say go ahead and jump on the 1000RR while they are being discounted big time. 800 vfrs will always be around and will be had at good pricing. Now if you where talking 4th gens, then that's a whole other story ;)

4. Lux

Lux New Member

I currently have both a 06 CBR 1000RR and a 07 VFR800. I think it would depend on what you want out of the bike. The CBR is a lot of fun but I get tired on longer rides because of the aggressive riding position. However, for those short - medium distance rides and track days, it’s the best. Because I love motorcycles so much, I recently bought the VFR because I wanted something I can ride all day if I wanted to. I find the 02-09 VFR is a very good compromise between comfort and practicality while still being quite sporty and handles quite well for what it is. Mine is pretty much stock except I gutted the exhaust and made some suspension adjustments. I can keep up if not pull away from most riders in the canyons so it’s pretty capable in stock form. If you can only have one bike and you do a variety of riding, I think you’d be better off getting the VFR. If you mostly do short to medium rides and your favorite type of riding is spirited canyon riding, the CBR is probably a better choice for you.

5. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    VFR hands down! CBR is of no use on the street. A VFR will do most everything most anyone needs. Anyone that tells you, you need more than 100hp rear wheel power on the street is either young, ignorant or both.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    If you like going to the chiropractor after an all day ride then get the CBR. If you like riding all day and then coming home and giving your wife or girlfriend a good pounding then get the VFR. Any other questions??

Regards,
    Rollin

7. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    Well said. You made me laugh.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

for a second there I thought you had almost made it.....:biggrin:

9. Lux

Lux New Member

For you it's apparently of no use but that doesn't mean it is for others. Your comment is filled with your personal "needs". Hate to break it to you but no one "needs" a motorcyle. It's a luxury that people buy for "personal" enjoyment. What gives that person enjoyment from a motorcycle varies as much as the variety of motorcyles available.

I agree, the CBR is so nimble yet so stable and stops on a dime. It took me a little while to get used to the VFR when I first got it because of the difference.

10. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Well it was a (IMO) reply, is that ok with you? This is a forum right? The guy asked right? And FYI! I do need my motorcycle. I use it everyday to and from work. I had a Blackbird and only need a fraction of it's power. If we had open speed limits, I feel the Blackbird was just right(power wise)on the open road, but that sort of power in city limits is just stupid silly.

11. Lux

Lux New Member

Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yours just came off to me as though it was a fact. Also, bikes like the CBR are more than just about raw horsepower. The CBR will out brake, manuver a VFR quite easily. BTW, what do you do for a living that requires a motorcycle?

12. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Sure, as well as every 600 SS made. And it was fact! my fact, just not yours.:smile:

I work further than I can ride my bicycle. About 90 miles round trip.

13. Lux

Lux New Member

That's correct but the OP wasn't asking about a 600. Personaly, I prefer the torque of a 1000. Had a 600 and I didn't like having to rev the piss out of it to get going.

I work farther than that but I don't fool myself into thinking I need my bike.

14. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    ??? Well do you walk? You need some sort of vehicle. I hate driving a car! I feel very locked in. With the traffic around here, you be a fool to own a bike and not use it.

I'm not sure where your coming from? What do you mean by fool myself?

I guess your a fair weather rider?

I'll drive when there's a good reason, but I look at folks in cars and feel sorry for the poor bastards. There just no feeling like the freedom of riding a bike! Need??? Oh HeLLLYa I need! And I've gone down plenty! Broken over 30 bones, but you only live once, and I'm going to live the best I can(thats on a bike).:smile:

15. Lux

Lux New Member

Like and need are two very different things. I'm glad you like riding your bike :thumbsup:

16. rufussrgnt

rufussrgnt New Member

Map
    Thanks for all of your input. Frankly, I am really surprised that so many of you liked the CBR. Most model specific forum participants are really prejudiced. Not you folks. Despite all the great suggestions, I'm still in a quandary as to what to buy. Too bad I can't ride each for a week or two. Great forum by the way. Thanks again.

17. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    One thing to consider, if you plan on owning the bike longterm the VFR will get maybe 3 times the miles as a CBR. There are a number of VFR's out there with 100,000+ miles on the odometer.

Ideally you take one of each. I gave up pure sport biking and got the VFR thinking that the track stuff was behind me and I was going to start taking longer trips and so on. I am very happy with that decision and the VFR definately delivers that in a sporty manner. While the VFR does present a fun challenge on the track, I will find myself missing the adreniline of a superbike from time to time. Like some are saying, the CBR will out sport a VFR everyday. It does it's one thing extremely well. I have always told myself that I won't be a two bike guy but in all honesty I would put an RR in my garage , right next to the VFR, if the right deal came my way.

The VFR does many things includeing getting a rider to Yellowstone without much mechanical worry,discomfort etc, and let's face it, most riders out there can't even ride a VFR to it's full sport potential, let alone a CBR. For me the VFR is a must because of it's multi- tasking and everyday usefullnes. Where as I get along just fine without the CBR, making my desire to own one nothing more than an itch that I would love to indulge every now and then.

Tough decision, just depends on your style.

18. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    if i was doing track days with it cbr for sure!! street only i dont see the point vfr is really the better road bike. on occasion i swap bikes with a few riding buddies cbr 600 gsxr 750 for sure faster easier bike to ride in the twisties. i always like getting back on my miss piggy it may take more effort to turn but at least i feel challenged. plus it always feels good when those guys cant keep up on the tight twisty stuff. on long rd trips who needs to stop at every gas station. 600 mile days are nothin on a vfr.

19. xeipher

xeipher New Member

The answer truly depends on you. Please do not take the following the wrong way,

1) How many miles will you be riding in a week?
    -- Miles will help deciding the comfort factor you need.
    2) How many times will you be riding in a week?
    -- Serious commuting or just weekend fun.
    3) Do you plan on doing track days?
    -- Whats the point of a CBR if you are not a regular track going guy.
    4) What is your level of expertise on a track?
    -- As you can see there are tons of pics of riders who have taken their VFRs to the track. So its not that the VFR is not a track bike. But can or will you work towards exacting every last bit of capability the CBR has to offer.

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    This is an impossible question! YOU know which of these 2 bikes is the one for YOU better than any of US can know. Although there is some overlap, they are very different bikes suited to very different purposes. For the kind of riding I do, a CBR would be largely - but not wholly - unsuitable. When you ask yourself, "Do I want a superbike or do I want a sport-tourer?" what answer do you give yourself? Go with that one . . .