VFR800 ride from NC to TX

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Daniel.K.Harding, May 2, 2012.

1. Daniel.K.Harding

Daniel.K.Harding New Member

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
    Hello all, my name is Dan.

I am heading out from Fayetteville, NC on my way to Killeen, Texas on Friday or Saturday the 4th or 5th of May... Yes, a couple days from now. I need to assistance, I will be making this trip alone. I am going to my fathers funeral... I REALY need another rider or 2 or few to make this trip with me... This is a 1300mile ride and I really don't wanna do this long of a road trip all alone... It's just not safe... If anyone live along the I95 to I20 rought and would like to ride along, please let me know... Thank you,
    Dan

2. blue-750

blue-750 New Member

Point one; you should not be trying to ride 1,300 miles in a day. There are endurance riders who do it, but none of them STARTED OUT by doing it.
    If you can, leave earlier and break the trip up into two roughly equal legs, stay somewhere and get a good sleep, have a good meal and don't consume any alcohol.
    Point two; I appreciate that you may be saddened by your father's death (my condolences) but he would be the last one to suggest that you potentially add YOUR funeral to his passing. See point one.

3. Daniel.K.Harding

Daniel.K.Harding New Member

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
    Good points sir... Advice will be used I assure you.

4. blue-750

blue-750 New Member

My pleasure :)

5. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Dan, under other circumstances, I would have joined you for part of the ride. I have other obligations this weekend.

My parents used to live in Pinehurst NC (they both passed a couple of years ago :rip: ), and I have a good friend who friend who lives kinda near Victoria TX - helped him move there from GA. It's about 7 hours from my house to Pinehurst, and about 17 hours to Victoria - and that's driving the speed limit (averaging about 60 w/ fuel stops) with perfect weather and little or no traffic. Houston can be a real bear at the wrong times, and I would really hate to ride the VFR through during rush hour traffic. :frusty:
    I recommend you break up the ride as much as possible with good rest periods - maybe even a hotel nap or 2 on the way. Know when to tell yourself you have had enough. :whiteflag: Get there safely. Good luck.