VFR800 Fi (2000) Operating Temperature?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by alexmcampbell, May 6, 2008.

1. alexmcampbell

alexmcampbell New Member

Hi,
    I've just bought a VFR800Fi which has taken a fall on the right hand side.
    The bikes fantastic, but some of the radiator fins are damaged due to the fall.

I've been keeping a close eye on the coolant temperature because of the damage, and riding round town it's got as high as 102 C (with outside air temp approx 15 C).

I know that 122 C is considered v high, but is getting up to 102 C normal or should I replace the radiator

I'm going to Spain for a 3 week tour in the summer, and want to make sure the bike doesnt over heat!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

2. DAN-SLO

DAN-SLO New Member

At 103 C fan starts to operate.In town ride is normal the temp. is a litlle higher.In open road,normal speed(up to 150kmh)temp. should be approx.80-90 C.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    My fan starts to come on at 215 - 220 degrees F in stop and go traffic. Normal going down the road is about 180.

MD

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    If you are super worryed about over heating flush out the radiators and add Redline WaterWetter to the cooling fluid. If you want more than that, another trick is to replace the fan blades with a Honda VTR1000 Super Hawk fan. PN 19020-MBB-003 Its a stock honda part. It blows out instead of sucking in.

MD

5. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Does the VTR fan match up the same as the stock fan?

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Its a direct drop in trade. Same diameter.

MD

7. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

After converting it to F, that's the same temp my 2000 VFR runs all day, every day, winter, summer, etc...

Mine runs between 200F - 220F & has since day one of ownership.

C X 1.8 + 32 = F

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

8. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Howdy Alex; Dont ruin a 3 week riding vacation because you think everything is alright! Just as an example my 00 runs about 77-83 C while cruising down the road.In traffic it will start to climb,its not uncommon to get to
    100 C in 5 to 10 minutes of stop and go riding. That is where I draw the line ,I installed a manual overide switch so I can turn my fan on when I feel
    it necessary. I think it would be a good idea to flush your cooling system ,refill with water and coolant 50/50, and if available in your neck of the woods, add Redline waterwetter. These VFRs traditionally run very hot, depending on who you talk to, some will tell you dont even worry about it, these things always run terribly hot and that is that . I dont agree with that rational and have made a few simple changes for mine to run cooler. eddie

9. alexmcampbell

alexmcampbell New Member

That's fantastic,
    Thanks for all the help / replies everyone (what a friendly community I've joined!)

I'll try and source that Redline WetterWater and also may look at the fan too. The good news is that it's not running astronomically high so I'll keep a close eye on it as the summer approaches and see how it gets on before replacing the radiator.

Thanks again!

10. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

What is that redline product? Obviously it is an additive to the cooling system but what is it? Does it take the place of of your run of the mill coolant? Do I have to do a complete flush and trade or just add some. Inquiring minds would like to know.

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?subCategoryID=4

Check out the web page...

MD

12. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

How coincidental, as I was putting mine back in the garage today after a short stretch in some stop and go traffic I noticed that the temp was about 220 and the fan was not on. After a few hours of disassembly and trouble shooting my damn fan motor switch is shot.

Does anyone know if you can get a matched up switch at the parts house or does honda have the market cornered?

MD, thanks for the link, being as I am going to have to do some fluid adding to the cooling system I think that I am going to give that redline product a whirl.

13. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Howdy DL; Fan switch,do you mean the sensor that is attached to the left side radiator?At least as I understand the fan circuit,that is what I would call the switch . Never tried an auto parts store for something like that,but take the old one and possibly they could try a unit for a Honda car. But then not sure what the cut in temp would be? eddie

14. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I would take it to the dealer and let them let it idle for several minutes and see how hot it gets and when the fan cuts on. They should have a infrared temperature gauge to help.

15. Capt. John

Capt. John New Member

Map
    I hate it when temp on my bike gets over 90C! So I avoid town riding in summer for this reason. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have had the bike over 100C. There is too much heat coming onto your legs at this temp - it is not comfortable!
    I also believe that by always trying to keep the bike cool, this has lead to my still running the original regulator (53,000km) and battery.

16. prodigalbiker

prodigalbiker New Member

Here in West Aus the temp on my '98 generally sits in low 80s to 90C when running. When stop-start in traffic it will climb into the 100C's. The fan kicks in at about 104C. A year ago it was overheating a bit and it was a faulty thermostat. Replaced that and all is well. Mind you, I might try the Redline or equivalent to try to keep everything a little cooler. I too don't like the temp climbing into the 100s particularly as we have high temperatures here, with mild winters.

17. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

Eddie,
    That is the switch I am talking about and if your ever goes don't bother with an auto parts shop. I can only seem to find one at the dealer or on honda direct.

18. slacker

slacker New Member

I'm surprised no ones mentioned getting a fin comb and trying to straighten the bent fins up. It sounds like its running normal to me but i've not owned mine long enough to know what normal is!!!