VFR800 2009 A-9 Rattle at cold and idle

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by VFRTom, Sep 26, 2018.

1. VFRTom

VFRTom New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys. First post on here as I am extremely frustrated with my baby. I have VFR800 V-TECH 2009 A-9 model with around 52k miles on clock. Last Friday I made a trip from London to my hometown in Slovakia, covering around 850-900 miles. Everything was smooth until Sunday morning when I suddenly noticed that when the bike is started it rattles like mad. It started out of nowhere at rear cylinders , more to the right side and sounds really really scary. It sounds very similar to drive chain operating without any oil, if I have to compare it. It got little worse since I had to use it for few short errands and today I finally started to diagnose it and established few things;

-It appears exclusively at cold and at idle speed. 2-3k rpm more and it disappears (it is louder than Leo Vincis without baffles). After the bike gets warm 65*C more it fades away from idle

-I removed the rear CCT as I thought it might have failed and needs to be rebuilt/replaced but it seems to be operating fine. When removed it was half extended. When I removed it it would easily extend all the way and easily retract all the way also. Spring on it is very strong so I am 99% positive that it is fine.

Last services/mods I have done on the bike are:

New Oil - 1500 miles ago
    New Alternator - 1000 miles ago
    Flapper/Snorkel mods - 1000 miles ago
    Front tyre - 1000 miles ago

Bike runs absolutely fine, no power loss, no weird noises when running warm and above 3-4k RPM.
    I have also called local Honda Servicing and they are fully booked for couple of weeks with no other "certified" mechanics around. Honda mechanic on phone said inconclusively that it might be "loose cam chain" which I don't understand since the CCT is operating correctly.

Any ideas/brainstorming/solutions/checks I am happy to try and consider.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was going to suggest the CCT but you have already covered that. Mine clacked pretty good but I don't think it was as loud as you are describing. The mileage you described was about right for mine too.

Hopefully someone may have an answer for you. BTW.. Your engine is far from o its last legs if it was looked after. Mine has 213,000+ km and it still runs well.

3. VFRTom

VFRTom New Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah. Problem sounds exactly like CCT. I took it out 3 times already, reset it, even manually tightened it after installation just a quarter turn to make sure its not f'd but no luck. I hope i will ever see those kind of numbers on clock ^_^. Thanks for reply man :)