VFR750 Front end options

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Hingley, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    A few months ago I Bought a second 1991 VFR750 with the thought of having a good source of spares for my 1990 VFR. I started looking at it and decided that with a little work it would make a good project to return to the road.
    I have it close to being roadworthy but when I went to replace the front wheel bearings I found the front axle was hard to remove, I then decided it would be wise to pull the forks and properly check things out. It was then what I found the fork tubes had a slight bend and small crease where the lower triple clamps are. I had them checked out at my local machine shop but it looks like they can not be straightened. So now I am at the point of looking for either a new set of fork tubes or a set of forks/front end.
    I am sure a lot of VFR750's have had their front forks replaced, but what fits with the least amount of work .
    I have looked at the parts listing for the 1990-97 VFR's and it looks like the 1990 and 1991 VFR have the same part numbers for the fork tubes and lower slider tubes, after that the part numbers change. If I was to guess I would think the 1992 and 1993 forks will fit with no issues but I am not sure on the rest of the VFR750's. Does any one know if the reason for the different part numbers is that Honda revised the parts some and changed the part number but the parts interchange with other years. An example of this is the triple clamps, the lower triple clamp is the same for 1990 to 1993 but the upper triple clamp is the same from 1990 to 1997 ??
    Thanks for any help you can provide

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Just different paint colors will change a part number. 90-93 forks will be bolt on. 94-97 may require the use of the matching wheel due to the change in brake style, but the caliper mounting tabs could be the same location. I'm sure someine will come along with the correct info.

3. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Personally, if I had to replace them, I'd go whole hog and do USD.

Just my insanity checking in.

Larry