VFR750 (4th gen.) vs VFR800 (5th gen.): power and weight comparison?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Michelangelo, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo New Member

Ok so I'm interested in knowing the big difference (if any) in power and weight between these two generations? I'm looking at buying either of these for a project track/barely legal streetbike. My interest is more in which one makes more power? Also, what was the actual wet weight of these two? If I remember correctly the 4th gen made close to 100 rwhp. Did the 5th gen better this in anyone? What was the benefit then of the newer, slightly larger FI engine?

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    The 97 I had was 92 HP at the rear wheel, dyno verfied.

BZ

3. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I have just lately been considering doing some trackdays. Anyway I don't think I would use either. I own a 98 and I think if I was set on the v4 I would start withe a 2nd generation. I believe it was the lightest of all. And have seen some really nice 17 inch wheel conversions and cbr 600 forks brakes etc. Power wise I believe from the 2nd to 6th gen they all have had right around a 100hp. My vote is a good 86 750.

4. Durk

Durk New Member

1997: 105HP 54.6 Ft/lbs 460 lbs.
    1998: 110HP 58.3 Ft/lbs 458 lbs.
    You'd have to put either on a serious track diet.

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Why? My ol 97 was fun for track days. Its was a workout, but fun.

BZ

douglasthecook likes this.
  6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm a glass half full kind of person, but those posted HP numbers made me laugh.

7. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I was thinking if I didn't have either one yet I would start with 2nd gen. But of course the 98 is the far better machine. Seeing as that is what I have

8. Michelangelo

Michelangelo New Member

Yeah like I said not worried about weight. More interesed in engine.
    Did they both still have the gear driven cams?

9. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
  10. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    Yes they had gear driven cams. Only the first and sixth gen had a cam chain. What are you planning to modify on these bikes. With the suggestion of a 2nd gen I was just thinking it starts out the lightest. Giving the best power to weight ratio.

11. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been spouting for years that my bike is 525 lbs... Is the 460 the "dry" (read:pointless) weight??? With 5.25 gallons of gas on board, there's 33lbs right there - where is the rest of the weight?

Also am pretty sure that my bike has less than 100hp.

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Having owned a 4th gen and 5th gen, stock to stock, a 5th gen will walk away from a 4th gen in a WFO drag race every time. The 5th gen being a shorter stroke just revs quicker than the 4th.

13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Michaelangelo

I realize this may be off topic for your original post but I thought I would offer up the following as food for thought. I personally have owned a 97 VFR750 (4th gen) and currently own a 2000 VFR800 (5th gen) and I personally prefer the 5th gen in many respects. Overall, I think it to be the better bike of the two generations and I realize that everyone will have a differing opinion as to which is better. As already stated the power difference between the two is almost nill so I will not try to debate on this fact. I would offer up the following for consideration though.

Given that you may want to use the bike for track days, some of the following info might be handy to know given that track bikes and bikes in general have a tendancy to, well, fall over at the track. Not everyone does this but it happens. Henceforth the following might be relevant to your consideration.

The Fourth Gen Bikes (94-97) have a front fairing comprised of (body parts - only no ducts) of 9 pieces. The rear fairing is composed of 5 major pieces. The main pieces that might need replacing in case of accident are as follows (I am using prices from Honda Parts Nation for comparison because I have purchased parts from them before and to keep things on even playing field between the two generations of bikes. I realize that parts are available from other companies as well so please bear with me). I have a friend who purchased a 97 VFR750 and, laid it down not three weeks after purchasing it, and took out the entire left side fairing. He had a heck of a time sourcing replacement fairing parts for it.

For the Front Fairing (Not all parts necessarily available)

1. Upper Cowl - $283.08 (one each L & R)
    2. Middle Cowl - 482.66 (one each L & R)
    3. Lower Cowl - $152.00 (one each L & R)
    4. Front Middle - $140.45 (headlight surround)
    5. Middle Cowl Duct covers - $38.31 (one each L & R)

For the Rear Fairing (Not all parts necessarily available)

1. Left Cowl Main - $303.00
    2. Right Cowl Main - $303.00
    3. Cowl Rear Middle Upper - $87.74
    4. Cowl Rear Lower - $63.41
    5. Cowl Rear - $73.32

The Fifth Gen Bikes (98-2001. have a front fairing comprised of 3 major parts and a tail section that is one piece. Here is a list of the pieces that also might need replacement should the unfortunate occur. The fifth gen fairing parts though a little easier to source for OEM parts are still not necessarily really easy to come by, and there are aftermarket fairings available in addition to the OEM ones. The aftermarket fairings seem to get mixed reviews when it comes to fitment and overall quality as I'm sure a few people on this forum can attest to, but if the parts are going on a bike that might mainly be used on the track, the fitment might not be as big an issue.

For the Front Fairing (Not all parts necessarily available)

1. Upper Cowl - $553.27 (one complete piece)
    2. Lower Cowl - $536.62 (one each L & R)

For the Rear Fairing (Not all parts necessarily available)

1. The rear cowl was listed as unavailable from Honda Parts Nation, and Ron Ayers though they could probably be sourced on eBay.

As I mentioned these are prices from one source and thought they might be available elsewhere for more or less I wanted to use one supplier to keep things easier. Most of this info, I had already collected for a friend, so I didn't have to go searching for it farther than the documents folder on my computer.

Another thing to consider might be tires for the bikes. The 4th gen uses a 170/60 R17 as the stock tire size on a 5" rim. The 5th gen uses a 180/55 R17 as stock tire size on a 5.5" rim. Again I realize that the rims are something that can be altered to suit your particular application, but just trying to use an easy comparison. The 180/55 R17 I would venture to say is one of if not the most common size rear tire available from most manufacturers and thus I would think more affordable to purchase than the 170/60 R17. I purchased two sets of tires for my 97 VFR while I owned it, and it never ceased to amaze me that the smaller tire (170/60 R17) was more expensive than the larger sized (180/55 R17).

Hopefully, some of this information may prove useful to you in regards to your purchase, and though as I said, I am partial to the 2000 VFR, I did and still do think that both machines are fantastic bikes to own.

RedMenace likes this.
  14. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    5.5 gallons? On which Gen? The 8th gen is 4.5 gallons

15. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    the added complexity and weight increase with no real performance gain of the 5th gen makes a 4th gen the winner imo.

RedMenace likes this.
  16. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    It all comes down to what you really want. I have a highly modified 4th gen, and have taken it on many tracks throughout Europe. Was it the easiest bike for side to side transitions? No. Was it down on hp compared to other bikes on the track? Yes. Did I have a blast, and learn a lot anyway? ABSOLUTELY!!! You may, or may not notice the slight difference on hp/torque between the two different generations. You will have a hard time sourcing new parts for the 4th gen, but at the same time, you can modify it to meet your needs. People here have put different fairings on their bikes. It all comes down to what you want. My VFR now, well it's a completely different machine in throttle response, and handling, but I have also done a lot of work to it, not because I had to, but because I wanted to. It is all up to you. Either bike will be fun on the track.

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Parts availability is a serious concern. Even the most simple things can become a major headache. Carbs also require a lot more effort than FI. A lot more moving parts, some discontinued, just finding basic replacement rubber fuel tubes can be impossible. Carbs are lot more finicky to being stored. Minimal aftermarket support. The older they are, the more potential for problems, and the harder it is to deal with relatively simple problems. Old, brittle, oxidized wiring, connectors, etc. It really is just that simple. If you just want something to ride, I recommend the 5th gen. If you're looking for something to tinker with, then the 4th gen might be more to your liking.

18. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    :ancient: Nobody notice the post is from 2012?

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The only things at this site that are worth a shit, happened 10 years ago. Just doing my part in trying to help with the CPR until the paramedics show up.

RVFR likes this.
  20. DirtBikeDave

DirtBikeDave New Member

United States
    5th gen, I believe is 5.5