VFR400 & VFR750 Front rad conversion

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by I0seb, Jul 26, 2019.

1. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi all,

Making this thread to document my experience with a couple of front radiator setup conversions. I'm not going to include specific sizes for the custom brackets as the ones I made are pretty rough and will be replaced eventually. The designs are straightforward and should be simple for anyone with some vice grips, an angle grinder and a drill to make.

Both setups require the elimination of the air injection system to allow clearance for the radiator, and the relocation of the oil cooler. There is a bleed line on the thermostat which usually connects to the right radiator. This can be safely blocked off although you will see in my setup I have a custom splitter. I suspect the OEM overflow tank can be reused if you still have fairings, however in my case I'm just using a hip flask until I come up with something more permanent.

Option 1: VFR750 radiator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This setup is straightforward to install and cheap, however depending on your front end setup you may not have clearance for a radiator fan. I was using CBR1000rr forks and did not have enough clearance, SEBSPEED over on Customfighters used RSU CBR600 forks and he did.

It performed well while moving over 40 kmph, temperaaures usually sat around 80c. However in slow traffic and at a standstill temperatures quickly climbed to over 100c. In my case I did not have a fan so if you could fit one that would help with low speed cooling. My oil cooler was swapped for an SP1 model and relocated to behind the front exhaust headers.

The radiator is mounted with one straight bracket on the lower left hand side and two bent brackets on the upper mounts which slide over the mounting pins on the frame for the original radiators. You will also need the left hand side radiator hose from a VFR750.

Total cost: approx $120 (for radiator and left coolant hose)

Option 2: VFR400 dual radiators

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously two radiators are more expensive than one, plus this setup requires a set of exhaust headers designed for an 8th gen VFR (you can use either a set of used OEM or aftermarket Delkevic).

This setup cools extremely well, I normally see temperatures between 60-75c while riding and haven't seen it go over 95c while in traffic. In my case I relocated the oil cooler to behind the top radiator using AN10 pushlock fittings and a generic oil cooler.

The top radiator is mounted to the holes which are normally used for the stock oil cooler and in the same place on the left side as the VFR750 radiator.

The bottom radiator is mounted to an unused hole on the right hand side of the engine and to a tab below the oil filter via a oddly shaped bracket. I'm not entirely happy with my work on this so I will likely revise the lower mount in future. I'd also recommend using steel rather than aluminium to reduce the amount of flex.

[​IMG]

To connect the radiator fan to the wiring harness I simply connected the blue/black positive line to the radiator fan and then grounded the fan through the temperature switch. The switch itself is grounded through the radiator and brackets to the engine so no ground cable is necessary.

Total cost: approx. $350 ($150 for used OEM headers, $200 for radiators, coolant hoses and fan)

Hope this helps anyone interested in doing a similar swap :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. ottablue

ottablue New Member

United States
    Great info! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. ottablue

ottablue New Member

United States
    Was it direct fit with set of exhaust headers designed for an 8th gen VFR ? or needed to be welded at some collector points? Thanks.

4. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Direct fit :thumbs:

5. ottablue

ottablue New Member

United States
    Priceless info!!! Figure get set off ebay and cut out the catalytic converter while at it :) to increase flow was part of my list to do and as well gain some room for the front mounted radiator set up and there will be no down time just switch out current exhaust. Sounds like win win to me. I will try the conversion to 2 front radiators while keeping the plastics see if that works out for me. Thank you.:Rockon: