VFR1200F

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Saul, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hello, Saul here. I'm new on FVRWorld, and still finding my way around. I have a VFR1200F 2010 which I purchased in December last year, not the best time to be riding a bike here in Wales UK with the weather not to pleasant, but the bike is so gorgeous and the price was right so I had to buy it and not loose it.
    It has the standard fish tail exhaust which is good but I think it's a little on the large size and too quiet for my liking. So, can anyone recommend an after-market, legal, exhaust can, which could maybe enhance the performance of the engine and certainly not impinge on it?

2. Mugenengineer

Mugenengineer New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi Saul,

Welcome to the club! :)

I have an Akrapovic exhaust fitted to my VFR12 and it’s perfect (both in terms of size / dimensions / proportions, and the noise that the bike now makes)!

Happy shopping whatever you decide to get mate.

Hope to see you out on the road

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi Mugenengineer, thanks for your message, much appreciated. I'll have to check my pennies to buy an Akropovic as I hear they are costly, but good. Does the Akropovic imrove your engine performance and is it just the can?

4. Mugenengineer

Mugenengineer New Member

United Kingdom
    Yep, Akros are a tad on the pricey side, but so long as you keep the original can and sell the Akro separately on the backend, you’ll get most if not all your money back.
    I actually bought my can before I bought the bike! ...shows just how dead set I was on getting a VFR12 eh!
    It was a bit like your bike, right time / right place. Can bought.
    So when I had the bike delivered I got straight on with fitting the exhaust before chucking my leg over / 1st crank! Consequently I’ve no idea what difference it made (if any). I’m sure there are some clever chaps on here who’ve done dyno runs before and after can change, and Akros are relatively common.
    For sure the Akro is a hell of a lot lighter than the OEM can, I was shocked at the weight of the standard unit.
    My neighbour (also a VFR12 owner) had his de-catted which (as the part isn’t available) involved some tricky fabrication & welding.. and apparently this, along with the Akro (and a power commander), made a notable difference in pick up and top end poke.

Hope this helps bud,

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Saul

Saul New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi Mugenengineer, thanks for the info. I've been looking at Scorpion exhaust on cans on eBay and have seen one at a reasonable price and I looked at their claimed power gains in hp and torque. I've decided to order a Scorpion can. Bye for now.

Mugenengineer likes this.
  6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    DAM is another good option. Looks and sounds great!

7. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson New Member

United Kingdom
    As far as I know, the Akro is the only aftermarket exhaust to have a Bike driven choke in the exhaust, mimicking the original flapper. Some have said at low revs on non flapper/choke exhausts, the bike is a little fluffy. The second hand DAM I bought had yellowed significantly on the front part of the pipe. I didn't get a chance to try it. I wont go into it but something heavy dropped on it before I could fit it. :Sad: and now its dead because I lost it after realising what had happened, and I finished it off..