VFR1200F Gear Position Indicator and ZBomb

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by deancol, Aug 24, 2017.

1. deancol

deancol New Member

United States
    Map
    1. Greetings,
      I just bought a used 2010 F Model (non-DCT) with the following:
      1. Bazazz FiTC
      2. Bazazz Z Bomb

The ZBomb takes care of the limitation 1st and 2nd but at the expense of the gear indicator showing "3" in 1st and 2nd gear.
      So after researching the issue from the forums, it appears that the following options to get my gear indicator corrected are to:
      1. Reflash the ECU with the Guhl flash.
      Seems like it would be an expensive way to get back the gear indicator as the bike has the fuel mapping taken care of with the Bazazz FiTC.
      The bike had already been dyno'ed and is setup nicely. Going with Guhl flash means I would need to zero-out the mappings; not sure I want to do that.

2. Remove the ZBomb.
      This would obviously would solve the problem but then I would get the restriction in 1st and second.

3. Wire a switch to turn the Zbomb on and off.
      This seems to be the best choice if I want to see the correct indicators sometimes.
      Has anyone rigged a switch with the ZBomb?

4. Suck it up and just deal with the false gear indicator reading.

Is there another way that I might be able to get the indicator working without restricting 1st and 2nd other than the above mentioned?
      Is there an aftermarket gear position indicator that would work or does the Zbomb screw that up?

Thanks!

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I've never owned a bike with a gear position indicator, but about the only time I think it might be useful is when you inadvertently leave the bike in 5th on a freeway. I can't imagine a situation where I would care if the bike was in 1st, second or third.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    We have it on the 8th gen and I use it all the time to make sure I won't stall it a critical time.

thtanner likes this.
  4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Would say trying to set off with the green light glowing is more embarrassing.

5. anthonygg13

anthonygg13 New Member

United States
    Are you able to really hammer down the throttle in the lower gears without the front end lifting? If not maybe return it to stock flash. But If you're happy with the unrestricted performance of the lower gears, I'd go with option 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. deancol

deancol New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't really hammer down on the throttle much and only ramp up when in the curves. I did remove the Z-bomb and did a short test ride but I haven't noticed anything significant in power loss or throttle snatchiness. I'm spoiled and like my gear indicator to be accurate, so I may leave 1st and 2nd restricted for now and eventually get the Guhl flash.

7. deancol

deancol New Member

United States
    Map
    After riding a bit without the Z-bomb, I decided to put it back in and go for a test ride in order to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. Well, I was. The de-restriction is so much better, smoother and more controllable. Guess I will leave the Z-bomb in and deal with the gear indicator mis-reading; even though it pisses me off...ugh!

8. deancol

deancol New Member

United States
    Map
    So, I ended up taking a Zbomb and rewired it for switchable power modes with a DPDT switch. This way, I can flip to stock mode 1=1 and 2=2 with the restriction and then switch to derestricted mode on the fly. The derestricted mode is rewired so instead of 1 and 2 reading 3 on the dash, I made 1 =5 and 2 = 6 so that I can see the change in gears. I hope this can help someone else...

Attached Files: