VFR1200F Engine noise

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ricnewvfr2, Oct 27, 2021.

1. ricnewvfr2

ricnewvfr2 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have just bought a 2011 VFR1200F knowing that there is a deep knock/tap in the engine which sounds like a big end except that it is an on/off thing. See link to video clip. Has anyone else experienced similar?

2. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sounds like a loose header

VF1000F2F, now rideable,

3. ricnewvfr2

ricnewvfr2 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Many thanks Waylander. It does sound internal but I have nothing to lose checking the front headers. I know the back headers are ok because I have just undone them... I will let you know.

4. ricnewvfr2

ricnewvfr2 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    So then. Here is the problem. The chain that drives the oil pumps/water pump had snapped and the cog on the end of the oil pump had sheared off. Lots of metal shavings and chewed up bits in the bottom of the sump. My next question is whether the mains & big ends got ruined in the short time the bike was running without oil pressure. Looking like a major strip down and inspection.....

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

When you get a chance please swing by the Introductions part of the forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here.

But OUCH - that is a very sad initial forum post and while the bike looks stunning I fear it looks like you have purchased a dud.

I have no idea of knowing what relationship you have with the seller but I would contact them and see whether they would offer any help to resolve the problem - as it is not going to be a cheap fix.

As for the impact on the bearings and any other internal damage - you will only know that once it is fully stripped down. If there was indeed " Lots of metal shavings and chewed up bits in the bottom of the sump." then your engine may already be beyond economic repair and you might be better off looking for a replacement used engine from a breakers yard or even a fully reconditioned engine if you want the extra confidence of a warranty.

Either way it sounds like your wallet is going to take a hit and the bike will be off the road for quite a while.

Let us know how you get on. - Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

SkiMad

6. ricnewvfr2

ricnewvfr2 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi SkiMad. It's not as bad as it looks in respect that I bought it cheaply knowing that the issue was there so I did cost it accordingly. The previous owner was very open with me about the problem. I was just hoping that it might be a quick fix! I'm going to drop the engine out and enjoy the exercise....

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    really ?? why would u buy a bike that had a worrisome noise and a very complex engine ?:(

how many miles on the ornery beast ? the early 1200's had another common problem, metal shavings left in the block.

dija ride like that, even as far as elkstone ? bluudy 'ell, mate, you're bollocksed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  8. ricnewvfr2

ricnewvfr2 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    So the price I paid allows for a replacement engine and a profit. Nice Winter project. Was hoping it might have been sortable but still quids in if I buy secondhand engine. :)

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

so dewya have another bike to ride whilest fetteling ?

10. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If you end up with a serviceable 7th Gen for under £5k (typical prices of decent bikes on biketrader) then you will be well ahead. Enjoy your fettling.