vfr windshield options

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by wlatrain, Jun 23, 2006.

1. wlatrain

wlatrain New Member

Just completed a trip from Caddo Mills, Tx. (where I picked up my yellow 2000 vfr) to Northport, Me. Rain and real wind - and a lot of wind here in coastal Maine. Any suggestions on windshield replacements that would reduce buffeting? My Yamaha YZF 600 actually provides better quiet space. The VFR is an awesome bike and was a perfect ride with Corbin bags for my trip. The Smokies and Blueridge brought out the best in the bike. Sad to say much of America has folded its tent and sold out to Wallyworld - good to be back in Maine with our small towns and infinite coast. Any windshield experience and suggestions welcome. Thanks, wlatrain

2. Webbfire2004

Webbfire2004 New Member

Map
    I can recommend the Zero Gravity Double Bubble windshield as I purchased one for my 02 VFR and feel it has been one of the best after market products I have experienced! It definately moves the bulk of the air flow up off of my upper torso and shoulders.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I added a Zero Gravity Double Bubble to my '98 viffer and it makes a huge difference over stock. The wind hits right at chin area. Perfect with a full face helmet. Triple digits is smoother too. Me likey - I'm gonna stick with it. I tried a GIVI touring windshield on my '95 VFR and it buffetted way too much - I hated it and went back to stock,- just a data point. Also I'm 5'10" in height so take that into account.

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    thanks for the comparo mello dude. i currently use a givi but i don't really like the look of it. i was considering the double bubble. I think it (double bubble) still looks pretty sporty, but I wasn't sure if it blocked the wind as well as the givi.

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Agreed - I found the GIVI goofy looking too, and one of my pet peeves is windshield buffeting, so it wasnt much of a decision to sell it on ebay and go back to stock for the '95.

-For the moment on sporty type bikes for me, double bubble is the way to go.

6. whiplash

whiplash New Member

I have a Givi, a Zero Gravity sport touring and a Laminar lip. The Givi works best but I too didn't like the looks. The ZG sport touring works well and doesn't look too bad but it is a flimsier screen than stock. I tried the laminar lip (www.laminarlip.com) and it works great over the stock screen ( as good as the ZG)after fiddling around with the location and height. It looks a bit goofy but I only using it when I go touring and it reemoves easily (uses 3M dual locks) fort the stock look when I get to where I'm going. The best is the Givi, if you don't mind the looks, and I'd be happy to sell you mine if that's the way you want to go.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Thank you, but I'm set for now. I like the DB.

Keep the rubber side down.

MD

8. okiengr

okiengr New Member

I have a targa on mine. I don't really like the look of the screens that have the little flip up at the tip of them but this one actually doesn't look bad to me. Wind hits right at the chin. I too am a fan of the look of the double bubble though. Sounds like it has the same wind deflection.

[​IMG]

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, okie, I saw yours and thought it looks much better than the givi. your bikes pic is what got me to thinkin about getting a new screen...

10. canib

canib New Member

Map
    I just ordered the double bubble in dark smoke. I had one on my CBR600 and it was awesome. The stock one beats the crap out of my head and creates way to much wind noise in my helmet.

11. tink

tink New Member

United States
    I'm a member of the ZG Double Bubble club too. My `01 had a GIVI touring on it when I got it, which I did not care for, look and function. ZG DB did the trick for me.

TINK

12. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    Puig screen on my '92

Oh - to have so many choices... Try getting anything aftermarket for a third-gen nowadays. It sucks. Quite a few years back I went through 2 Lockhart screens in 2 years - thin pieces of crap that cracked if you looked at them the wrong way. So after a tremendous amount of research, I located and subsequently ordered a Puig touring screen direct from Spain. I believe it cost around $85, but shipping was fairly hafty at about $35. You can get them through numerous distributors stateside now.
    It has been a great investment - very heavy weight, nearly as thick as the original. Great fit and finish. And the lip at the top edge is not overwhelming, but still does provide substantial protection.
    Food for thought.

Click to enlarge...
    91yellowveefer_004.jpg

13. VFRMike

VFRMike New Member

United States
    Map
    There are a lot of variables to consider when purchasing a new windscreen. Your height is critical and obviously varies from rider to rider. Certainly your helmet is a very significant factor when considering buffetting (and noise level). My old Shoei RF 800 buffetted less than any other helmet I've owned. Then when you add Helibars or Convertibars it changes the whole thing again. Personally I think the stock screen is the way to go but the ZG DB screen can be an attractive add on for many, including myself. The Givi is a quality piece but is relatively large and was too noisy for me. Many of the aftermarket screens simply move the air off your chest (which can take pressure off the wrists) and place it in your face, causing more buffetting, noise, and bug splatter on your shield. I've been intrigued by the L1aminar Lip but never did make the purchase. Some places will let you try the screen and return it if it's still in new condition and if you don't mind paying return shipping.

VFRMike.

14. WVFR

WVFR New Member

:photo: We need pictures please! Some of us posers need to know what they look like on the bike....

15. canib

canib New Member

Map
    I installed my ZG DB last night. It looks freaking awesome. The air stream seems to have gone from the bottom of my neck/top of chest to mid to top helmet. The buffeting is way less, but the noise is the same. I'll have to research quiet helmets.

I'll get a picture soon.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  16. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    I'm certainly a huge fan of the dub-bub looks - and the engineering and physics certainly make great sense. That's the first option I looked into for my '92. No such luck though. Look forward to the pix...

17. canib

canib New Member

Map
    I don't know if those'll work, but I uploaded pics of the Dark Smoke DB to my gallery.

Attached Files:

18. Florida

Florida New Member

Map
    I tried two options.

First, I added Saeng Wing-Tips (an adjustable spoiler that attaches to the top of the factory screen). Seemed like a good idea, but it really didn't diminish the wind blast very much regardless of how it was adjusted. A waste of $200.

Next, I got Zero Gravity's Sport Touring windscreen. No buffeting. Just enough wind to keep cool in the Florida heat. Best $75 I've spent on the VFR.

19. KrautBurner

KrautBurner New Member

My Puig (Double Bubble) just came in the other day,
    havn't gotten a chance to get out on the highway yet tho.
    maybe today

20. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    DB on the 54, DB gets my vote if I was to get one. I have the stock screen on the VFR still looking for that titanuium one in Japan, as I'm not having any trouble with wind noise or helmet shake.