VFR vs super sport?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DKC, Jan 4, 2014.

1. DKC

DKC New Member

Question for those of you who ride or rode a supersport (CBR,GSXR, etc) and ride VFRs. My 07 vfr is the sportiest thing I've owned. I'm considering trading for a CBR though. At 39 years old, I won't be setting any one wheeled speed records and the long rides aren't on my agenda any time soon. I know the benefits of the VFR but the liter SS is pretty attractive. Any suggestions or cautions?

2. Panettone192

Panettone192 New Member

i used to ride a hyosung gt650r which shares the riding position of those supersports and after switching to the VFR, if anything...i wish i had done it sooner due to comfort. As long as you don't plan on doing really extended rides/long touring then you probably wont feel too much discomfort on a superbike. Did you take a look at the naked variations of the supersports/superbikes? (z1000, speed triple, cb1000r) If you are looking for more power/agility yet still retain comfort then that may be the way to go...otherwise if you want pure performance then by all means go for a supersport/superbike...if you haven't ridden one before its something worth trying, even more so on the track.

3. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    Hate to give a somewhat spineless answer, but it really is personal preference. I'm 42 and I grew up on supersports. I even have a small collection of old school superbikes right now. But I also have 2 VFRs. I like them for a different reason than my GSXR/FZR/ZX7R. I has a Duc 900ss in the 90's and it has a riding position closer to the VFR than the GSXR. Hated it at the time. Now I don't mind the VFR position so much. Being less foolish now than in my 20's, if I were forced to chose only one bike to keep, it probably would be my 93 VFR. I can ride as spirited on it as I dare on the road now and its more comfortable.

A few years back, I was tempted by the new liter bikes too. Bought a CBR1000RR, played with it and sold it with in the year. It was just too much bike for my needs. Really agile and instant power, too much for how I ride on the road. It scared me not so much from a lightweight/power stand point but more that it tempted me to start riding in a less than intelligent manner. I think a 500lbs - ish bike with about 120 - ish horse power is just enough for me.

Of course, listening to someone elses experience is never as satisfying as doing it yourself. If it were, my parents would have had a much easier time.

4. nih

nih New Member

Map
    i don't have allot experience on ss bikes but im 37 and bought the VFR last spring, i was thinking same thing at end of summer last year, super sports, more nimble, more power, looked at a couple on craigs, couple at dealers. Guy let me take 07 1000rr around the block, super nice, rediculous power, could go 0-60 in first gear.. I like the weight of VFR, sat on a ducati felt like i could get off of it and pick it up so light, which is great for hard riding, curves etc, but just didn't feel right to me for cruising, maybe because being on VFR already.

sounds like we ride same, i dont do long trips or ride all day long, just tear around town in evenings for a bit. in the end, ive decided to stay on VFR and fix what i didnt like about it, pcv to hopefully get rid of the low rpm jerkiness and new suspension. the VFR is unique imo, its fits my body perfect as far as riding position/comfort, it's plenty fast when i want it to be. I think there are allot of reasons SS bikes are better than VFRs and one reason VFR is better: those bikes aren't VFRs.

VFR didn't get me laid once last summer though, wtf w/ that.

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I bought a used PC III from a member and it solved low RPM jerkiness (stock exhaust, for now).

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Lots of options here.

Keep the VFR and buy a used litre bike.

Dump the stock suspension on the VFR.

7. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Unless you're a big guy, get a 600. A liter bike is overkill unless you're an excellent track rider.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The VFR isn't as nimble or powerful as a liter superbike but it feels like a much more solid and better built machine. The extra weight of the VFR also makes it feel more stable at high speeds or on windy days. The extra power and flickability of the liter bike is nice but you won't really get to take advantage of that unless you do alot of twisty mountain riding and/or track days. Keep the Viffer!!

Rollin

9. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    In the hands of a skilled rider, I've watched the VFR outperform most of the fastest Colorado street squids in the mountain twisties.

10. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I liked passing them on the track! Most of the track day guys I knew were faster on a 600 after they shelved the ego and gave it a try. Bottom line was that displacement didn't equate to fast lap times and the fast guys were fast on whatever they threw a leg over.

That said, for street riding where power and speed aren't really the deciding factor, choose the bike that gives you the biggest wood!! Then you will always be happy when you open the garage door even if your back hurts a bit.

11. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Lol! Now that's a great view on the topic.

12. DKC

DKC New Member

Wow, good stuff. Thanks to all. Sounds like in a perfect world I should look for a 600 track bike and start modding the VFR in the mean time. Ironically, my wife likes that idea over swapping for a liter ss. I really appreciate your opinions. Ride safe.

13. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Yah I think that would be the way to go. Check out the NESBA and SBTT web sites for excellent deals on track ready bikes with extras!

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Just look at this baby!
    http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=31578

Ohhhh it makes me wanna go back....Back.......Back to the track

Awe shit, this needs to be mine
    http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=32069&highlight=Ducati

14. JJFlash7

JJFlash7 New Member

United States
    Two words....Ninja 1000

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It's funny, it's usually the 20 somethings that are looking for more horsepower and track performance handling, not the near or over 40 crowd. To be honest, like Tink mentioned even a VFR can do what some of these other bikes can do and that it's the rider that makes the most of the bike. A few people thought I was a little crazy for buying an '01 VFR800 as my "track day/play bike", versus a CBR or similar, but it's what I was looking for, it has more horse power than I need, at least for street use, and is one of the best handling bikes I've ridden. The only thing it really lacked was a good suspension, but I have remedied that! I've been riding motorcycles for well over 30 years (on and off road) and the only thing I'm looking for now is finding a comfortable bike that I can ride all day long (if I wanted to) and can handle the twisty roads when I need it to, I found that in the VFR. I have one friend who has a CBR1000 and after letting him ride my 01 he was debating on selling his and trying to find a good used 5 Gen. The comfort level was the biggest factor for him, then again we're both 47...

16. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Just throwing it out there. If most of your riding experience is on cruisers, riding a full out SS is a night and day difference. Consider your sport skill set, ask yourself, ok where am I at and be real. On a liter bike, with the crazy power, things happen twice as quick as a cruiser, and to ride it takes much more focus and alertness if you do any kind of performance riding.

Good luck, ride safe.

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have had a bunch of Super sport bikes. I have a CBR 1000rr now that I use mostly as a track bike but I can still make it street legal for an occasional road trip, preferably in the mountains. I love the VFR, very comfortable and the sound is intoxicating. I commute with it, 2 up with my girlfriend, drag hard parts some times and it puts a smile on my face. Everyone needs at least 4 bikes: Sport, sport touring, dirt and a hooligan motard of some sort. lol Age means nothing, I know track riders in their 70's that will run circles around most.

18. Mrboss

Mrboss New Member

São Martinho Do Bispo, Coimbra, Portugal, Portuga
    Bought the Vfr almost 2 months of a long trip on my 600R (AKA Thundercat), 15 days after the trip, put her up for sale, and took the other month and a half to get rid of her. Still, did a oil and filter change after that trip, never neglected her despite wanting to break up our 3 year long relation...

If I didn't do that trip, maybe still had it, loved the instant response, even in low speeds, with high gears, but was not so confortable cruising like the Vfr. Sportier bikes are good to release the stress, after getting all out, it will be like riding the viffer, slow and cool lol

But, I'm keeping my eye on other 600cc bikes, and will buy one just for some fun occasionally ;)

19. reverus

reverus New Member

Map
    I ride a 2006 vfr and a 2001 RC51 which is honestly about as supersport as it gets. The RC is fun, it's loud, its STUPID fast and consistantly challanges me in the turns. That bike wants me to be a better rider to make use of it.

Howerver, the vfr is SO much easier to ride fast than the rc.

I think this is the best way to put it, supersports Require a faster rider, the VFR makes you a faster rider.

I don't think i'd be happy with just the rc51, it's too single purpose for my tastes just depends how you ride.

20. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    A mate who has some nerve damage to both his forearms recons his '12 Gixxer 1000 with Rethal bars and adjustable pegs which replaced his '04 R1 which also had Rethal bars makes a pretty good Superbike ST.

[​IMG]