VFR vs Buell

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by kpfetz, Sep 16, 2008.

1. kpfetz

kpfetz New Member

Map
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    I'm new to this forum but have ridden for many years. I recently purchased a new 2008 Buell Uly and have been disappointed with the extreme heat from the engine (I live in Phoenix where it's 105 all summer long). I was just looking at a new 2008 VFR at the dealer today and was very impressed, they even have one left over 07 in the gorgous dark red. Here on the forum I've seen a couple of comments concerning engine heat on the VFR, I don't want to trade one hot bike for another. Does anyone have any knowledge of comparative heat from the two bikes, just informal- I'm not talking about actually measuring the heat. I'd appreciate any comments from any of you in hot climates regarding engine heat as it affects your riding comfort, particularly legs and seat. Thanks,
    Pete
    kpfetz

2. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    We get some serious heat here in NM also. The VFR is hotter that an I4 with a side mounted exhaust but not as hot as some others. I road a new Triumph Sprint ST and I felt more heat off it than the VFR. Can you get a test ride on a VFR?

Action

3. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    I had a Buell XB12R Firebolt and I'd have say that the Buell's are much hotter than the VFR's. Lack of fairings, air cooled and you just have your legs right on the rear header pipe. I've seen some posts on here regarding heat, but I haven't ever noticed it. Actually wish I could on the cooler nights we've been having around here!
    Hope this helps.

Vs

4. jaimev34

jaimev34 New Member

Map
    Initially, I noticed a lot of heat coming from the sides and near the seat when I compared it to my SV650. But after selling my SV, and only driving, I've gotten used to it and don't feel it at all now. Also, since the weather has gotten a bit colder, I welcome the heat. After I bought the VFR, I didn't like the heat and was going to sell it. I ended up keeping it and I love it now. I've heard complaints about the Uly's heat. I've never ridden one, so I can't compare. I'd say get the VFR.

5. julianivfr

julianivfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    I always wear overpants over jeans or pants (never shorts) regardless of the weather.. I don't notice heat. Before I got the overpants I didn't even realize the Viffer gave out a lot of heat until my rain suit pants melted and shredded around the shin and ankle area on a road trip. So THAT's what that flapping noise was.

Cover up. It may be uncomfortable at first, but it'll be a whole lot better than BBQing your legs.

6. kpfetz

kpfetz New Member

Map
    VFR vs. Buell

Thanks for the comments so far guys, keep them coming! I do wear protective pants but in the summer they must have some mesh. Since you mentioned that the V4 puts out more heat than an L4 brings up another question I had. I was also thinking about the Suzuki Bandit 1250 which supposedly doesn't put out much heat at all and is considerably cheaper than the VFR. I realize it wouldn't handle as well as the VFR but any other cons? Again any opinions are appreciated ( I guess I just like to do a lot of research before making any decisions- drives my wife crazy). I'm hoping to get a ride on a VFR soon.
    Pete
    kpfetz

7. Stranger

Stranger New Member

Map
    We live in a hot country with year round riding and to be honest I had not even thought about this until you mentioned it. Both my wife and I ride in full leathers ATGATT and I guess you just learn to adapt to different heat sources. Either that or the leathers just hide everything.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I used to own a Bandit 1200 and it felt way to bulky for me. I got tired of being left behind in the turns by my friends on smaller more agile bikes. The VFR is much more fun than El Bandito. That Candy red should have you sold already. Go give her a home!!!

Regards,
    Rollin

9. Craig in Alabama

Craig in Alabama New Member

VFR vs. Uly

Hi Pete,
    I have an '07 Uly and a '95 VFR. It's pretty hot here in Alabama, too. I don't know how many miles you have on your Uly, but I wouldn't give up on it yet. I put a right-side scoop on mine (about 2 weeks after I got it) and it made a huge difference in cooling the rear cylinder. They should have come with it.

I have about 4500 miles on mine and the only time the heat is uncomfortable is when I'm stuck in a traffic jam. It gets better after you have some miles on it. The heat is more noticable on the Uly than the VFR, but neither one is so bad that it would keep me from riding it. I'd hang on to the Uly for a while and put some miles on it. And pick up a nice used 4th gen to go with it! They compliment each other perfectly!
    [Uly: You're looking very nice today!
    VFR: Thank you, you're looking pretty spiffy yourself!]
    BTW, don't trust the torque values for the oil drain plug that are printed in the manual...

Cheers :smile:
    Craig

10. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

See if you can test ride the VFR, then , your choice will be easy Grasshooper.