VFR Sightings this past Sunday in Berks and Schusle

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by PARedVFRRider, Sep 2, 2008.

1. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Two4one and I were our riding this weekend up in the northeastern PA area. From Skippack, Pa, to Reading, to Bloomsburg, to Shamokin, to 125, to Good Spring, to Fredensburg, then down 183 towards Reading, Huff Church and home. It was a very nice day and an awesome ride some great twisties.

However, the purpose of the post is that we saw 3 different VFRs when we were out there. A white one and a Red one at separate times on Rt 125 north of good spring and I think it was another red one later on on my way home through Red Hill. So was that any of you guys?

2. VelocityFR

VelocityFR New Member

Hey PARedVFRRider,

Wasn't me but I do ride a Red '03 VFR800 and I have ridden in a couple of those areas. I wanted to catch a post from some of you fellow VFR riders in Lehigh/Berks/Bucks/Carbon/Montgomery PA area, and maybe meet up for a ride sometime. I just replied to one of you other posts (Looking for PA/MD area VFR Freaks) a little while ago with the following....

PA VFR Freak here in NW Lehigh County (close to Berks). Any rides happening in the coming weekends in my region?

VelocityFR

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting thread as I too this week saw two different VFRs drive right by my place, one was a white 93 riding solo, in fact he needed more gear on IMO, more like he was just doing a ride around the block. Not more than an hour later a black 92 went by with two folks on board and it had some aftermarket hard bags thought it odd as VFRs around here are not all that popular, so to see two different ones in an hour was unique to say the least.

4. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    It was an odd day indeed. Rarely do you see more than one VFR in a month let alone a single day.

Velocity I'm always up for a run somewhere. Weekday, weekend whatever. PARed and I catch up whenever his schedule permits like this past Sunday. We've got Berks County and surrounding areas pretty well mapped out.

Now's the time to ride boys, the season will be gone shortly.

5. raisin75

raisin75 New Member

Nobody told me there was a season!! Why didn't anyone tell me there was a season? As long as there's no ice or snow...it's GO!

BTW, on my ride from Tennessee to Nova Scotia and back this past week, which was 4250 miles, I saw one red late model VFR going around the 640 loop in Knoxville. One freakin' Viffer in 4250 miles.

6. VelocityFR

VelocityFR New Member

I agree. I too, rarely see another VFR on the road. A number of months ago I did see a red one, not sure what year but did look similar to mine, near Boyertown at the intersection of Rt. 73 and Funk Rd. where a community baseball field is.
    Rt. 73 and Funk Rd., Boyertown, PA - Google Maps

I am unemployed and job searching right now so I can sometimes get out on a weekday as well... or on a weekend. I am a fair weather rider... prefer not to get caught in the rain. This Friday is a maybe for me to get out. Or......

... are you familiar with Martin Motorsports in Boyertown? They have been doing this First Sunday "Un-Ephrata" thing.... hang out a bit.... get together and do a ride on your own. Next one is this Sunday 9/7 from 9am - 12pm. Scan their home page for info --> Martin Motorsports – Pennsylvania Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph

If the weather holds up (or clears up) I plan to ride down Sunday morning. Show up if you are able and interested, and let me know what you guys & gals think.

For the past couple of years I've also been doing some of the monthly (more organized) groups rides they have --> Martin Motorsports – RAT Ride Schedule

7. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

Funny, I had a route all mapped out that way to ride this past weekend and got busy doing yard work :mad:

Was going to head out 422 to 662 to 143 around Hawk Mt to 895 then over to Pine Grove and 125 to 209 to Tower City, back over the mountain to 443 to 72 and wander back to K.O.P. and home (about a 220 mile loop).

I have been riding the 82 loop down near Chadds Ford alot lately and wanted to head out for a little more western rural route.

8. VelocityFR

VelocityFR New Member

I am real close to 737, and within a few miles of 143 and Hawk Mtn. I know there are plenty of good loops around, and I'm sure you have your favorites. Rt 662 (west from 143) into Shoemakersville is one of my favorites. Anyway, whenever you do get up this way, and if you haven't already, a few miles from the west end of Hawk Mtn. Rd., head north on 895, west on 443, and hang a right on New Philadelphia Rd. / Mountain Rd., up to where it meets Rt. 209. Really cool road, nice and smooth (last time I was there) and lots of twisties as it leads up the mountain. Some of the turns are really tight so be careful. Here's a map of that road:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad....695607,-76.089592&spn=0.095791,0.115013&z=13

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Just so you know I agree however last winter PaRed and I were the only ones who managed to get out together during the winter. I didn't buy Gerbing's gear 5 years ago for nothing :)

10. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    If you ride 662/143 a lot, I must have seen you somewhere along the way. That's pretty much my home track! Many a knee puck has suffered wounds on those roads.

What is everyone up to this weekend?

11. VelocityFR

VelocityFR New Member

Well I can't actually say a whole lot. And I'm not that good (or daring enough) to be draggin' knees though :-( . This year I have been on 143/662 probably about 5 or 6 times.

If the weather is fair, my plans for this Sunday 9/7 ~9am are to head down to Martin Motorsports in Boyertown (see previous post). They have been doing this First Sunday "Un-Ephrata" thing.... have a bite for breakfast... hang out a bit.... meet/get a few people together and do a ride on our own. Scan their home page for info --> Martin Motorsports – http://www.martinmoto.com/?sid=enter

Do you think you guys would be interested in something like that? ...or not?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  12. JR Jackson

JR Jackson New Member

Raisin, was that you running north on I-65 between White House and Cross Plains yesterday? That would be the 2nd VFR (besides mine) that I saw in one day without going to the bike shop.

13. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry I didn't read your post thoroughly. Well, I'm kinda' sour on the whole bike show/gathering stuff. I must say the "Un Ephrata" idea is appealing though since the Ephrata thing is such a BS poser fest. I went for the first time this year last month and stayed about 15 minutes. Lucky for me I ended up meeting some riders with similar riding styles so we spent the day up north on the twisties.

I'm interested in seeing the Martin Motorsports Complex for possible future service work on my suspension. I'll keep an eye on the weather. If all is well chances are pretty good I'll head out to Boyertown in the morning.

14. VelocityFR

VelocityFR New Member

Any VFR sightings at Ephrata? What do you mean by a "poser fest"? I have never been to First Sunday in Ephrata, so I don't have a first hand account of what it is like, although I have heard people talk about it and have looked at the photos on ephratamotorcycle.com.

Un-Ephrata at Martin's, so far, has been just a parking lot hang out kinda thing, no registration or anything like that, just nice people and conversation. The majority of the bikes/bikers have been sport and sport-touring, nothing exotic so far, and just your average riders, hasn't become a spectator event (yet?). Each month it has grown a bit in attendance... last time I was there I estimated around 70-80 bikes.

I am not sure if they are open for business during the Un-Ephrata (they are normally closed on Sun & Mon), but the building has been open so that you can go in and browse the showroom, and at least check out the service area through a couple of customer viewing windows. I bought my VFR used from Martin's when they were on Rt. 100 south of Pottstown, but have only had state inspections and tire changes done at the new Boyertown location since then. When I got the Honda wiring harness recall I had to go somewhere else to get that fixed since Martin's is not a Honda dealer.

15. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Well by poser I'm referring to the shorts, sandals and t-shirt crowd. And that doesn't even begin to cover the Harley guys. :biggrin: Sorry I sound pathetic by knocking it but it is what it is.

The Un-Ephrata gathering sounds like it was created for those sick of the Ephrata thing (see above). I'll give them a call to see if they'll be open.

16. VelocityFR

VelocityFR New Member

Gotcha... it is what it is. And I'm not a Harley fan either :puke:

You are exactly right. One of the group rides every year was to head down to Ephrata. I never went on that one. From what I've heard, people were getting tired of making the trip and dealing with it all. Suggestions were to start something "local" for those who wanted an option, and see how it works out, interest level, and what it might become.