VFR 800 vs CBR600f Honest opinions

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by whynot, Mar 19, 2009.

1. whynot

whynot New Member

Map
    Hey,

I'm currently looking for a new bike as i'm planning a month long tour of europe.
    I currently have a VTR1000f which for obvious reasons won't be up to the task.

I have previously owned a '96 CBR600f which was a brilliant bike in almost every way. I am tempted to get another one as it would be quite capable of doing what i need for the trip.

I have also been thinking about a VFR 800 (99-02ish) as another option, but have not had the chance yet to ride one.

from various googling i have found the vfr is a fair amount heavier, but will probably be easier to ride due to more midrange torque etc.

Can anyone give me some opinions on the differences/similarities between the two? preferably someone who has owned/ridden both bikes ...

Thanks in advance :cool:

2. jondevos

jondevos New Member

Month long tour. Id go with the vfr800. Fun driving Id go with the cbr600. Comes down to personal preferance

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The VFR is heavier and you do notice it out of the gate, but when it comes doen to puttin long miles on, the VFR is wayyyyy better. It's so much more stable with that extra weight that I actually feel more confident riding it. The only time I'd prefer the 600 is just playing around within 100 miles of my house. You'll also sit a little more comfortably, have a little more wind protection, and have a much much better sounding bike.

4. whynot

whynot New Member

Map
    Another thing is that whatever bike i get i am probably going to keep as my day to day bike for commuting/weekend riding etc. as well after the tour.

5. whynot

whynot New Member

Map
    Thanks, thats good to know, i suspected that it may be more stable due to the weight distribution, but wasn't sure about wind protection and comfort.

The vfr also has a longer range if i recall correctly doesn't it?

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I believe so. Most people get at least high 30s mpg on the VFR and the tank holds around 5 gals if I recall correctly. I get less but I can usually get near 200 miles on a tank and some of my friends routinely get 250 per tank. You're probably talking about 150 on a CBR. I actually was looking for a CBR when I got my VFR but after hearing the VFR I was pretty much sold.

7. whynot

whynot New Member

Map
    yea i do like the sound ....
    i don't recall getting more than 150 miles out of my cbr very often.
    I will be travelling with a guy on an SV650s so we will probably be filling up fairly regularly anyway :rolleyes:

Also something i need to consider is the price difference ....
    I can get a fairly mint low mileage 96-97 CBR for around £1800 whereas an
    ok 99ish VFR is more like £2500.

that's a fair amount of money to spend on bits and pieces :)

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    true. that kind of changes things. while I am a big fan of the VFR, money talks. when you are talking about spending more to get a VFR, well, I'm not sure I'd do that. I ride a 98 VFR and it is rock solid. I don't see as many 96-97 CBRs still on the road but I'm sure they are out there. I usually associate the CBRs with being ridden harder by less experienced riders but that is not necessarily true. Tough call. Good luck.

9. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    id go with the bultaco

10. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    I have owend a CBR600 and own a VFR now....sport touring - VFR is the way to go!

[​IMG]

11. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    The Honda CBR is a great bike and lots of fun. I love my VFR because it is a do everything bike - commuting and touring. Last season I picked up a Yamaha YZF 600 for trackdays, but I kept my VFR. The YZF has a comfortable upright position, large tank and comfortable seat with a nice revy engine. I really like the bike and thought it might be a good replacement for the VFR - NOT. If you do mostly local riding and some trackdays the CBR is a good choice. But for a combination of daily commutes, heavy duty touring, cruising and even an occasional trackday you cannot beat the VFR in my opinion - having a bigger bike with the extra weight and other ammenities such as a fuel gage, trip meter, ect. The Yamaha YZF is ok for two up riding, but the VFR is more comfortable for two up riding because there is more bike lol. Also riding in the winter and in the rain the VFRs weight comes in handy - feels more stable on wet cold roads under adverse and windy conditions, at least to me. Both the CBRs and VFRs have a good resale value, so to me it depends on what type of riding you plan to do. All I can say is that you cannot go wrong with a VFR.

12. STEVE MANKIN

STEVE MANKIN New Member

Map
    I had a 91 cbr600 f2..great bike ..more nimble..,but was buzzy on long rides..vfr much smoother...handles very well..vfr has more range....more comfortable...gen 4 or 5 would be the way to go..

13. STEVE MANKIN

STEVE MANKIN New Member

Map
    i like the fit and finish better on the older hondas.....one mans opinion..

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Was going to throw in look for a good 4th gen VFR 750, saves money and you get a great machine.
    Question, is that an RC51 or the Super hawk you have? if it's the RC51 yea I can understand your thinking, if its the Super hawk Not so. Yes, it has less fuel range which is a mute point IMO we want off anyway in that amount of time, the super hawk is as just as competent as the VFR , I have rode my friends, and if it wasn't for the fact I have a great bike all ready I would own one. It really is a better ride than most give credit. That said the F4i is in direct competition with the VFR. other than the miss of bottom end, they both are alike in many ways. I say go buy a 4th gen. ask Richard his thoughts, he's sorta in your neck of the woods.

15. whynot

whynot New Member

Map
    Its a Firestorm which is our local version of the Superhawk. I agree its a good bike, but the fuel range really does let it down, especially as this one isn't very efficient either. I struggle to get 100 miles, even on the motorways.
    It is comfortable on the long rides and has good wind protection, although it has had a tail tidy so attaching luggage is not as easy as it could be.
    It's also quite heavy and feels bulky around town and at low speeds and i think i'd like a smaller bike, hence the VFR or CBR decision.

Yea i agree on most of those points as well, it looks like both bikes are easily up to the task and i just need to decide how much i am willing to spend :)

16. RaceAce

RaceAce New Member

Map
    I have to say having owned 2 cbr600f,s and now owning a gen5 vfr for me its a no brainer.
    The vfr does feel a little heavier at first but you soon get used to it :wink:

I have ridden my vfr harder and faster than i ever rode my 600f, the benefits are a better range from a tank of juice, a better riding position, a great engine
    with gob loads of torque and a sound to die for :biggrin:

Stick a decent set of hoops on and a good basic set up for the front and rear and you will never look back :thumbsup:

Take both for test rides and see how many times you are up and down the gearbox with the 600 compared to the vfr !

Cheaper to insure as well as they are classed as a sports touring bike rather than an outright sportsbike ( must be something to do with the mis-belief they arent as fast ) :tongue:

17. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    CBR vs. a VFR?

A can of Budweiser vs. a Magnum of vintage Dom Perignon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]