VFR 800 03' bad fuel mileage

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Miha, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Miha

Miha New Member

Slovenia
    Hello!

This winter i bought myself my first 03' VFR 800 with just 29 000km (or 18000 miles) on the clock.
    After all the hassle of replacing R/R with a new one (retrofitted a Shindengen fh020aa), replacing spark plugs, oil, oil and air filter, changed brake and clutch fluid now i started riding. The bike feels phenomenal, suspenison, brakes, power delivery, engine... truly a spectacular bike BUT i'm having problems with very bad fuel mileage.

Should I mention first the bike is all stock. Pair valve and flapper are still connected.
    On average I'm getting 30 US MPG (7.7 L/100km) with very conservative riding style which includes almost no VTEC and when I'm pushing it a little is goes as low as 27 US MPG (8.7 L/100km). With that in mind I'm filling up every 120 (190km) to 140 miles (220km) at best. Also I noticed that on cold start there is a strong smell of gasoline from exhaust which goes away as the bike warms up.

I've read many threads about bad MPG and so the things i've tried and checked so far are:
    -checked FPR vacuum line, no signs of fuel
    -new plugs
    -clean air filter
    -bike warms up fine and keeps the temp betweem 77 and 80C
    -added fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas
    -checked for FI faults, none
    -tried regular and premium gas, no difference
    -fixed big yellow connector (ground problems)

Could it also be the O2 sensor is not reading correctly? And if so wouldn't it throw a fault code then?

Currently I'm all out of ideas so any help is appreciated.

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Hi Miha, and welcome.

Are your brakes unusually draggy? How hot is the back disc when you're not using it?
    I'd suggest checking that the vacuum line between the FPR and the intake manifold is holding a good vacuum (or just replacing it). If there is no vacuum signal at the FPR then the applied fuel pressure to the injectors is higher than it should be.
    If that is OK then I'd try replacing the FPR next.

Best of luck. You live in a lovely country, I visited for work in 2004.