VFR 1200 not true 7th gen?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Richard Thompson, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    I'm throwing this out to the forum for general consultation.

what do you guys think?

below is a copy of the text i wrote in the 'tokoyo release' thread.......

" I visited my Honda dealer today to get the low down on this thing.
    they know me very well so i trust what they tell me.

heres the low down...

1. the VFR 1200 will be on sale in NZ from 10 Jan 2010 .

2. local price is set at $29,990.00(30K)..thats NZ dollars,so the us exchange is about 72 cents to the NZ dollar...lets say 20% less in USD as aworst case scenario. will be interesting to see if that pans out?

3.i have booked a demo ride.

now heres the kicker.......the gen 6 in its current form is due to stay in range for at least 2 to 3 more years.

what they think is that the 1200 is aimed squarely at the blackbird & st1300 users and moreso BMW's market- R 1200 users.

in essence not a replacement for the 6th gen.

so whats to come then?...well how about a V4 powered fireblade for the sports brigade.

yep the skinny is that Hondas long term intention is to run V4's across the range to help differentiate it from its competitors.
    (much like Subaru has done with the boxer engine and AWD.)

so the ranging would look something like this;

VFR 1200-2 versions -sport F model & touring full dress t model later.(same as BMW)

VFR 800 - mid range sport tourer

cbr1000 -v4 Hyper sports (Hmmmm......CBR600 V4 also?)

so if there is to be a true 7th gen replcement the VFR 1200 aint it..IMO its a whole new category, and much like the VF 1000 was to the VF 750 waaay back in 83."

the true 7th gen should be a direct descendant of the line and not a rewrite.

food for thought...

RT

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

as it is so radically different from the current 800 that i would have to say it is the 1g 1200.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Good question Rich. As Ronnie has stated, it seems as though it is a rewrite. What do you think of the appearance of it Rich? Ugly as sin, or just sinfully good looks?

4. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    well, I'll wait to see it in the flesh to decide. but like a number of other bikes i have initially seen its looks have grown on me the more i see it.

it may also look far better in 3D than a picture can convey.

what interests me most are the technical innovations on the bike.

and then theres the price...:rolleyes:

5. derstuka

Map
    Yes, I agree Rich....need to see her in the flesh. I will admit, there is a large "knee-jerk" reaction to change, especially for something that you love. If it is a different direction that what one anticipated...well, folks tend to dismiss it.

I am very curious about all of the techinical innovations as well. Dual clutch, economy mode, shaft drive, etc....Honda likes to be an innovator, or at least push the envelope, so we will see how well that this bike is received.

It does look like it is a bike for st and blackbird owners. I am assuming they will be dropping the st model, if the vfr gt model fits the bill for touring riders.

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    A Super blackbird replacment for sure but think there is varient coming out to replace the Pan European/ST1300 on the way.

Think the VFR1200 could be classed VFR1200 Gen 1 although just as easily a Gen 7.

My thinking the VFR1200 is also aimed at current VFR800 riders looking for more easy power with sporty handling that may wish to move to a slightly more comfortable ZZR1400, K1300S, GSX1300R alternative while still keeping the current VFR's V4 essence. :cool:

7. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
    For me it will come down to $$$$. If this turns out to be BMW money then I will buy a BMW. I have owned Honda's since my first bike 22 years ago. I am on my second 6 Gen VFR800. But I will swap if it costs more than a Honda is worth.

8. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    Even though the exchange rate is .72, I think it will be a lot cheaper in the states than just the exchange rate difference. I am thinking US15 - 17k range. Stuff here is usually about half the price than Oz and NZ.
    NZ....what a gorgeous place to live though.

9. FRE

FRE New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't see it as a 7th generation VFR, but rather, as a totally different bike. That's not bad, if they continue the VFR 800. Any changes made to the VFR 800 should include a weight reduction and the 1200 should not be called a VFR.

10. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Amen FRE,my thoughts exactly! ^^^

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well Hell it should be badged a VFXX IMHO. its a whole other breed, the only slightly item in common is the V4 part, but even that ain't even close to being the same, It Shall be an interesting cycle show, be entertaining to hear all the comments, wonder if Honda would have the nerve to have a interpretation comment card to fill out.

12. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Vf1000r & Vf1000f

We do not include the VF1000R's nor the VF1000F in the generation line up, so I do not see the new 1200 as a gen 7.Just me. Please do not throttle me for it.

13. cfp5252

cfp5252 New Member

Any Honda is worth more than an equvalent BMW.

14. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I'm now leaning to locking it in as VFR1200F Gen 1, if you look its made it to Wikipedia with no direct reference to VFR750/800 Generations, also of note its listed in the Sports-touring class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vfr1200

15. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I keep typing vf1200f when referring to the new bike. So maybe it's really the 2nd gen of the big VF's.

It certainly has more in common with the old 1000's than the newer 800's. Size, motor, etc, just 25 year newer tech.

16. TimRav

TimRav New Member

VFR, not a VFR...I don't care. Honda can call it whatever they want, so who am I to argue? How many people said 6th gen's aren't "real VFRs" b/c of chain-driven cams and/or VTEC? I think most VFR fans are beyond that now, but here we go again.

Perhaps Honda felt like they had to keep the VFR name running, and since VFRs used to be the flagship bikes for technology, it makes sense that the new bike would keep the moniker IMO.

As long as the bike kicks ass, the name doesn't really matter to me. Personally, I'd love to see 3 versions of this bike - the unveiled VFR1200F all-arounder, a dedicated ST and a supersport version lighter on bells and whistles but heavy on HP.

I won't lie. One of my dream bikes is the BMW K1300S. The local dealer has one in metallic orange with all the must-have options, lists at $18.3k. I'm not in the market for a new bike but if I were, it would be a tough decision between the Beemer and the new VFR - esp. if they were priced similarly.

17. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm still waiting to see if the VFR800 will be a 2010 model or if 2009 will be the last for it. If a 2010 model is released, then the Gen 6 lives on and the VFR1200 would be a Gen 1. If 2009 is the last year for the 800, then I guess it could be considered a Gen 7.

18. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I think it's too late for the '10 VFR800, they would have announced it by now. The VFR800 is dead, long live the VFR800! :thumbsup:

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Ohh dear you just pointed out the elephant sitting in the corner of the room... :wink:

20. derstuka

Map
    Your handle is "VFR1200" and you're saying you might by a Beemer instead if the cost is too much....hahaha....I love it.

:beehive:

I think the question that Richard was getting at was if this VFR1200 should be considered a 7th gen, or an entire new beginning 1st gen 1200 since it is such a drastic change. He wasn't saying that it was not a VFR, only not a continuation of the current 6th gen.