VFR 1200 cutting out intermittently

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Simon SHenton, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Simon SHenton

Simon SHenton New Member

United Kingdom
    hi All

New here and need your help please

VFR1200F running perfectly and never had any issues.

in the last 2 days it has done 500 miles but on 6-7 occasions it has cut out whist riding in gear. Check engine comes on and bike stalls - then because it is in gear it jump starts itself after a fraction of a second and carries on as normal. Check engine light then goes off

It can happen at high revs at say 70mph but also at low revs when stopping

No lose battery connections

Seems to be starting to do it more and more

When running there is no misfiring or anything untowards - just occasion cutting out

ANy ideas?

My bike shop as suggested it could be the immboliser and to try the spare key?

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Simon and welcome to the Madhouse:Welcome:

When you get a chance please swing by the Introductions part of the Forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here, and perhaps post up some photos of your VFR.

As for the issue, your description suggests strongly you have an electrical problem. If it was a 6th Gen I would be immediately suspicious of the charging system but the 7th Gen set up seems to be fairly resilient - however it is still worth checking the level of charge in the battery - as a dying or nearly dead battery could result in the fuel pump shutting down abruptly.

I fear that hunting down intermittent electrical issues like you describe can be quite frustrating.

Hence the first question which springs to mind is - have you had any work done on the bike which might have triggered the issue - especially any work around the time the problem first happened? Likewise has there been any other external factors like dropping the bike?

Inherently a bad connection on the dash or loose connections to the ECU could create intermittent issues - likewise it is worth checking for any loose connections on the safety interconnects system - kill switch, clutch and side stand inputs.

As for HISS - it is well worth seeing if the problem does not happen when using the spare key. I vaguely recall reading on another forum about problems of a rider who did not realise the key for their new car (which they had recently attached to the same key ring) contained a similar but clashing immobiliser signature, hence once the offending key was removed from the key-ring the problem disappeared.

On a similar theme does the electrical hiccup occur at or close to the same location? If so it is worth looking around to see if there some sort of mast/transmitter in that area which may be upsetting the HISS.

Many years back I had a Suzuki fitted with a Datatool Red alarm immobiliser (demanded by the insurer) which I discovered did not like cell phone masts especially first generation BTCellnet towers after I parked at Homebase in Hendon and found the immobiliser refused to disarm when I returned to the bike.

Once I spotted the nearby BT building supporting dozens of cell phone masts I guessed that signals from the mast might be confusing the immobiliser. So I pushed the bike across the car-park until there was a parked lorry between me and the BT building and sure enough the bike fired right up.

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    If it was the HISS the red light would come on

The key is worth trying but being solid state the original would have to be a bit knocked about for it to not work properly

I have had mine refuse to fire on restart after an hour or so a few times, but pull out the key and put it back and it’s fine

The ECU should record these events and generate a fault code, Honda should be able to read these