Vf500F Part Number Info/long shot

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by WGREGT, Feb 1, 2014.

1. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Here's a looong shot....

Anyone happen to know the part number/availabilty of the OEM seat cowl lock assembly and Honda OEM key blank? I have one on my 85, so I know what it looks like, but I'm trying to find another possibly. I know the key is Honda and smaller (cause I have one) but I can't find the key or the seat cowl locking mechanism anywhere on the fiches I see.

I would be SHOCKED SHOCKED SHOCKED if I can even GET one if I do happen to come up with a part number, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

2. 85-vf700

85-vf700 New Member

Map
  3. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Thanks, but no. The keys shown are for the ignition, tank, and underseat lock. The one I'm needing is much smaller than those. And the other diagram shows a few locksets, but none for the OEM cowl. In fact, I've never seen the OEM cowl listed on a fiche, but it definitely came from Honda. Maybe they had another parts list for the cowl that was separate when the bike came out? Anyone know?

4. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I think you'll need to find the Official Honda Accessory catalog from 1985. That's where those parts numbers were shown.

5. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Hey Captain 80s/Mike....didn't you mention you had that original accessory catalog once?

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Let me see what I can dig up, but I'm not sure if they list individual part numbers in the accessory catalogs, just a number for the whole kit.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I thought I had either the 84 or 85 Hondaline Catalog, but for the life of me I can't find it. I will keep my eye open.

But I think something is very doable with hardware from another Honda. Here's the lock mechanism off of mine:
    IMAG0509.jpg
    I don't have the latch that mounts on the handle, but here's a pic of one.
    500Cowl.jpg
    I looks to be the same (or very similar) style lock mechanism as a 1986 CH150D glove box. I bet the lock (16) and the matching striker plate (8) mounted on a pretty simple bracket at the right location and distance would do the trick.
    http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e074f870021c54be06b1/front-fender

Or just make a bracket with the right shaped opening to grab that lock style. The latch shown in the picture above doesn't look that hard to replicate. Maybe somebody on here who has the latch for their seat cowl can post some nice close up pics.

Honda made a shit-ton of Elite CH150s (as well as CH250, CH80). They all used that same style lock on the glove boxes made for the smaller scooter keys. So if you have any bone yards near you with scooters you could prob find out pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Side-Box-Lock-and-Key-Set-1984-85-86-87-88-CH125-CH150-CH80-NB50-NOS-/251438210539?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8ae29deb&vxp=mtr

I just stuck 4 different scooter keys I had into my lock and they all turned it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014