VF500F chain FAQs

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by WGREGT, Jun 11, 2013.

1. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Hey guys-

Went to clean/adjust the chain on the '85 VF500 last night, and I think it's done. Was hoping to get some thoughts on replacing it.

With such few miles, I'm assuming it's the OEM size, which I *think* is a 520. Can anyone confirm that? If so, how many links on it, if you happen to know offhand?

With my other bikes, once the OEM 520 chain went bad I remember changing the chain over to the easier to find and cheaper 530 version. Thing is, I *think* I remember having to swap out the 2 sprockets as well, since I think the old sprokets are no longer compatible with a 530 chain. That sound correct to you guys? Been a while since I had to swap out an original OEM chain, so I can't remember for sure.

I looked at the teeth on the rear sprocket, and they look fine. Not pointed or hooked in any way that I could see. I know you're supposed to swap out all sprockets when you swap a chain, right? I'm kinda on the fence about it b/c in reality these things only have as much hp as a chain saw practically, so I'm not sure if the benefits (if there even are any since the sprocket looks OK) outweigh the cost/hassle of swapping sprockets as well.

Those of you with a VF500 still on the road, fill me in, yeah?

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Stock is 530. Typically the front sprocket will show wear sooner (or worse) than the rear. Maybe yours had a conversion done on it. If it were me, and I was putting on a brand new $130-$150 chain and front sprocket, I would buy a rear.

Also, my typical quick test on chain/sprocket condition is if you can pull the chain off of the back of the rear sprocket and expose more than half of the tooth... toast.

3. commrad

commrad New Member

stock is 530/ 108 links