VF500 starter button sticking

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, Nov 14, 2011.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    So my old VF500 was sold to a friend of mine.

I was replacing some "lost" bolts on the VF for him when I noticed the headlight wasn't coming on anymore. Right away I started fiddling with the starter button and it was flickering and going on and off. Further checking revealled the button was sticking too.

I removed the 2 screws and split the controls there and sprayed some electrical cleaner around the button but it had zero effect.

Anyone take this peice apart before and have any tips for me?

2. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
  3. Twitchy at times

Twitchy at times New Member

Map
    My headlight didn't work today so I immediately assumed it was the starter-button return spring but then with it pulled out fully, the headlight still wasn't working. So I started to slowly manipulate the "LIGHTS H P O" toggle and found a sweet-spot between H & P that leaves the headlight on.

Strange because it had been the weak-return on the starter button that was the first problem now it seems to be a connectivity issue on the lamp toggle. Go figure.

4. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
  5. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks guys.

I still have a VFR800 rightside control lying around...maybe I'll see if I can fit that little bugger on the old VF.

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    One of these starter button threads needs to be a sticky.

7. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Maybe this one....cause it has all the links?

8. blitzas

blitzas New Member

If the "start" function is working fine but the "light" not there is always an option to use the "start" voltage and a relay with a N.C. contact to replace the non functioning "light" part of the switch.
    It takes a bit of soldering but it is a neat solution that will allow the switch to last forever.

9. mecrutio

mecrutio New Member

Same issue with my bike. The headlight went out and the start button felt funny, so I parked her for the winter. Yesterday I took it apart and found the exact same issue as stated by creaky. Even if the planets were aligned right, I could not perform such an outstanding job as you did creaky. So I am going to make a new one. It won't have the "start" on the face of the button, but it will fit and work. Scince I am doing it, making extras at the same time would be prudent. If you would like, let me know and I'll make one as per request. I will wait about 2 weeks to start and it should take me about a weekend. Send me your address and a ph# to mecrutio30@yahoo.com, one per person.

P.S. Any suggestions on which material??? I have nylon and delrin on hand, but i'm leaning to ABS. ????

10. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Are you making extra buttons?

Extra starter buttons?

Would it just replace the old one?

11. mecrutio

mecrutio New Member

gosh sorry for the slow response slow... found a rubber chicken and just haven't been the same.

Yes I intend to make a button that will FUNCTION like the original, but not to the extreme detail like the original. I'll use black delrin, the start word will not be on the face, and the lines below the start word will not be there. But everything else will be, the pocket for the electrical connection and spring, the two shafts, the relief pocket so it will work smooth, a small radius to keep the shafts from breaking so fast, and the stop ledge. BTW, this thing is complicated! It'll take me a bit longer that I said. I'll post up some progress pics. Check back in a week. Lets say I should have some by end of march.

12. mecrutio

mecrutio New Member

Ok, scratch that shaft radius idea. I'll add some material to the top portion of the button where the shaft is at, and instead of making a shaft... i'll drill a hole and press in a pin. It'll be along the same lines as creakys fix, minus JB weld. I know it sounds like a hatchet repair but just wait, I'll send a pic of the 3D rendering so you can see what I mean. (3D cad pic, not stereoscopic.) OK now I'm stoked!

13. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Can't wait to see the pics!

14. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Hey Mecrutio...still with us? Looks like I smoked another starter button on my VF500F. You ever get around to making your own? Fotos? Happen to make more than one?

15. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    Hi Greg. I have a starter button that I repaired in the same fashion as the one that I posted about earlier in this thread. If you would like to try it, it's yours for a postage stamp.