VF500 Full Fairing

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Naseer23, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Naseer23

Naseer23 New Member

Hi I was wondering if anybody knew what the spec II fairing looked like and if there is a place where i could buy the vf500 f2 side fairing like the one below?
    [​IMG]

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I know that the bike you have pictured was not sold in the US. I wish it was. Anyhow, the US version only had an upper and lower cowl which gave the bike a "naked" look.

Lockhart used to make a painted (RWB) full fairing for the 1986 VF500F. I bought a couple of them back in the late 80's (as seen on my current 500). The last one was in 1991 and even then, I had a heck of a time locating one since they were discontinued by then.

Unfortunately, you are going to have trouble finding something. Keep checking on eBay. A while back I came across a company that still sold unpainted fairings. I will try to go back through my info and let you know what I find.

3. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
  4. Naseer23

Naseer23 New Member

Thanks, i was looking into that one but i didnt really like how it just cut off, I wonder if the spec II fairing is a vf500 f2 replica. If i cant get that one i want to cutom build a fairing because this one looks sweet.
    [​IMG]

5. grahambunn

grahambunn New Member

i have been looking for the same thing for my 1985vf500 i wana keep it looking stock so stock colors but i want to update it to have a full fairingi think they look cool

6. Naseer23

Naseer23 New Member

I only saw the vf500 f2 fairing on ebay once and was flipping out but couldnt afford it. Im thinking of just making a custom one.

7. grahambunn

grahambunn New Member

they are expensive no dought but you get your moneys worth in my opinion they look awsome

8. Naseer23

Naseer23 New Member

yea if i ever see one again im gonna buy it 4 sure.

9. dskelton

dskelton New Member

I have been following this thread with great interest hoping that someone would have a source of a decent looking fairing for a VF 500. A couple weeks I found thsi web address: http://www.spec2.com/lower.html
    Has a phone number out in Sylmar CA, figured I'ld give them a call. This is pretty much a transcript of the conversation:

Phone gets pick up:
    Spec 2.... ( at this point I am naively waiting for some sort of a greeting.).....

Hello (me)

Yes (Spec 2)

I was interested in a couple fairing you have listed on your web page. (me)

Well, it would help if, .. do you own a bike? (Spec 2)

Yes, I was just wanted to make sure that in general you would be willing to send out the pictures.(me)

apparently not! CLICK (Spec 2)

It would appear that this company still exists, and perhaps someone with better phone skills than I apparently have might want to give them a call.

10. Naseer23

Naseer23 New Member

NICE I hope this one will be a nice one with a little more contour than the airtech one. Ill call them on Monday hopefully and get back to you guys then.

11. dskelton

dskelton New Member

Best of luck , dude! Either I caught him at a real bad time or the guy is a complete jackass! If I were you I'ld look at their web site and know exctly what part you want, and start giving him the info from the opening second. ( I did have the part number written down, just never got that far.)
    Oh yea, I would still be interested in any thing you come up, but his stuff would have to be the cats fuzzy ass before I would give that guy any money.

12. Naseer23

Naseer23 New Member

yea lol, I think if the fairing is nice enough then that will be good enough. Does anybody know that guy who made his fairing because i think on his site he showed how to but his site isnt up anymore.

13. daver38

daver38 New Member

Re: contacting Spec II

I figured I would give Spec II a try, and got a voice message saying that he is much to busy to answer the phone & to please e-mail any questions (at which point he mumbles the e-mail address). If anyone can make out what the address is could you please post it. Although at this point I'm not sure sendiong this guy any money would a wise move.

14. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

I liked the date on the "Tech Tips" tab that says "coming soon" in May 1999! But then all the dates on the site are from 1999. And I won't do anything without pictures and they don't have a single one. Better to move on!

15. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Customer service is everything. Any reputable place of business would handle potential customers much better than that. He's so busy now that he's not worried about what the future might bring. Seems a little short-sighted to me. I'd hang on to my money.

16. willi777

willi777 New Member

United States
    VF500 F2 bodywork!!

OK- you can get the UK spec VF500-F2 version, that is modified to fit US bikes, (because the UK spec version doesn't just bolt onto US bikes, as i found out), from Nationals Fiberglass- 517 Beacon St, Akron, OH 44311 (330) 762-4527. Last i checked- (like in the 90's i think) it was about $200 for both upper and lowers. I saw a pic of the National fairings on a VF that was bright yellow, it looked great.
    You can also find them at skidmarx.com- they're a UK supplier, but shipping from the UK is pricey.
    Before i knew all that, i purchased- straight from England- the oem fairings (looks just bike in 1st pic), complete with the fairing bracket, windscreen, mounting hardware and a different gauge surround. All told it was about $400 with shipping that took 6 weeks. Then it didnt fit on my US spec VF500- of course- it can be adapted, but the easiest way is to contact Nationals and order one of theirs- bolts right on. I will sell my highly exotic UK imported bodykit... just let me know if there is any interest
    As far as full-lower fairings- they were made by: Targa-
    Spec2- they look like the ones in pics below, and
    Airtech-
    Another option- find a Yamaha RZ500 or RD500 fairing set ( canada or UK)- they look just like the UK F2 fairings and can be adapted to the VF500... or an R6 fairing set would look sweet fitted to a VF500

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  17. willi777

willi777 New Member

United States
    Spec II pic

The first 3 pics are the SpecII lowers fairings...
    The next pic is the Targa lower fairings (with truck in background).
    I have a set of the Targa lowers if anyone is interested... they are baby blue in color, will need paint.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  18. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I didn't see this mentioned so I'll chime in late: the fairing on the bike in the first post looks just like a Lockhart-Phillips part. Those are long ago discontinued but were actually better quality than the SpecII parts. The LP lowers were offered as a Genuine Honda Accessory too.

19. Naseer23

Naseer23 New Member

Ye i finally got the SpecII fairing, for $93.50!!!! I feel so happy, wish i had known about the F2 fairing before but thats probably a lot more expensive.

20. willi777

willi777 New Member

United States
    Where did you find the Spec II lowers for $94? Thats a great deal! Have you installed them? How do they look?