Valve ticking

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by schrocketeer, Aug 9, 2021.

1. schrocketeer

schrocketeer New Member

United States
    My '86 VFR 700 has started a slight ticking sound, possibly from just the right side of the engine.
    I only notice it idling, but that may be because it's covered by other engine noise, wind noise, or Kerker slip on exhausts.
    It's got 43k miles on it. I've put 2k miles on it in the last year, and have no information about valve adjustments from Previous Owners.

Less than 400 miles since oil and filter change.

Assuming it's from the valves, does it make sense to be noticeable mainly from the right side?

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Those sounds can come from anywhere. Or seem like it.

I currently have 3 running VFRs. They all have had their cams / followers inspected and valve clearances checked and adjusted as needed by me. Everything looked perfect and I experienced nothing weird while adjusting. And THEY ALL SOUND DIFFERENT.

The RC26: Had a 17K motor in it. Everything was perfect, ran STRONG, never smoked. It was noisy. It might have been just how the engine noise is emanating from the non-stock fairings. Due to a title issue I went thru a 13K motor and put a titled frame on it and then swapped every thing over. Motor runs STRONG, doesn't smoke. It's also noisy, but it sounds EXACTLY like the other motor. Hard to describe, but it sounds completely different depending on where I am around the bike. Over the tank, loud. Lean over to one side or another, way quieter. Stand next to the bike and then walk just a little away, completely different.

1986 VFR700FII: 28K miles. Everything looks perfect and is properly adjusted. Pretty damn quiet. Slight tick just at idle. Goes away with the slightest RPMs. I'm pretty sure I'm hearing the split cam gears making a little noise. Oh well.

1986 VFR750F: 52K miles. Absolutely perfect sounding. No ticks or noises.

These gear driven V4s I have never considered quiet. There's a shitte-tonne of moving parts. As long as everything checks out, that's all you can do.

So.... you need to check some shit out. Valve clearances, cam / followers condition. Inspect the cam gears and spring loaded split gears closely, I have seen some very rare instances of the split gears starting to fail.

If everything's cool... ride it and enjoy the music.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    schrocketeer likes this.
  3. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    I had a nearly new Aprilia Tuono V4 and she sounded horrible at idle, but according to the Aprilia world that was "the way she sounded". Anything above idle was amazing to listen to though. Kinda miss that bike. :(

schrocketeer likes this.
  4. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I've had some ticking while cold since I adjust valves a while back. Some of the valves were a little bit tight. I have checked and double checked and they are right now but now I have a slight ticking when cold. Better too loose than too tight!

schrocketeer likes this.
  5. vfrMatt86

vfrMatt86 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Mine started doing that. What it turned out to be was the starter clutch bolts had loosened themselves out. While loose.. it allowed the starter clutch to crack.

Might be worth pulling your right side clutch cover to investigate the tq on those bolts.

schrocketeer likes this.
  6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Good point.

While the cover is off, throw some new EBC springs in the clutch. Improve performance and extend the life of the clutch. Like $14.

RogueRC24 and schrocketeer like this.