V4 Dream Come True: 5th Gen, Greetings from IL. I'm 1+ year late to the party.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JACBR1KRR, Jan 11, 2021.

1. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Hello, All. I'm a little late to the party. Picked up my 1st 98 White VFR800FI in July 2019.
    And finally got around to joining in.

My 15 CBR1000RR got stolen in June '19. After much research online. Bike review after bike review. And after having to move further away, extending my commutes due to the theft ( 2nd bike theft in my life ). I wanted something I could put miles on and handle it.

ENTERS THE 98 VFR800FI

I saw this bike online. It had 13.5k miles, painted perl white, tinted screen, Delkevic exhaust, polished frame, new rear tire, very clean, still had rear stock fender, new R/R. But I kept passing on it. It was listed for more then I wanted to pay for a 1998! BIKE ( I still didn't know, if I was going to like it as it was a sport touring, heavier bike, After riding more current lighter bikes w better suspension, brakes). But over a couple weeks period and seeing. This VFR remained online. I figured it was because of the price. After 6-7+ weeks of no riding and missing my baby ( CBR ) I was getting desperate. I decided to go see the bike in person ( never had seeing a 5th Gen up close) , I had no intention of purchasing it. As I didn't want to spend that kind of $ on a 1998 bike! When I could get something bit more modern, but a part of me wanted to try a VFR V4 engine with gear driven cams.

After seeing bike in sellers driveway in a nice sunny day. After, looking over it. Fork seals, brakes, chain , lube etc. How CLEAN, overall it was, polished frame ( never was a fan of that. But in this bike design was acceptable to me.. Looked Goood! how meticulous bike had been taken cared of. Didn't have a scratch on it, no rusted tank. It had a new Q3 rear tire. Bike needed front tire that was all.

I did something foolish! Something i had never done before in my riding life! And will never do, unless I buy new or from respectable stealership.

I bought it without test riding it!!! Yes it's true! Made you guys gasp, right.

Hold.... please.... Just before that. I made an offer ( still wasn't sure weather I was going to like it), but I knew i need it! Something to put 350+ commuting miles and knew this was the bike ( I knew deep inside, I wanted it. Bike spoke to me. I knew this 98 VFR was babied, well maintained, i knew it was mechanically sound, and loved! ( just like I loved my CBR1000RR) . I made an offer, seller accepted. I was very happy with bike on my way home. Happy how much I had paid for it. And even more happy to find out how much my insurance was for the whole year.

Without further a do. Here is my 98 White VFR800FI. So far just commuting and 1 trackday at Road America 2020.

I have changed the oil, new stock air filter, flushed clutch, brakes and coolant. Replaced leaking clutch cover gasket. Speigler stainless steel clutch line and brakes. Put Q3 front tire, Delkevic headers, Gear indicator, VFRness and accesory fuse panel harness, Ducati stompgrips, carbon fiber bits. Speedohealer, got suspension professionally dialed for my body weight. And lastly ( out of necessity) Speigler stainlesssteel brakelines. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! I wasn't going to go that route of upgrading lines, $$$$$ . ONLY reason I did it was because at that trackday. I was having braking issues. Calipers, would abruptly close on braking, couldn't modulate braking. Calipers didn't want to release/open or would delayed in opening. At all corners brakes would be erratic. I was missing braking, turning points, nearly crashed 1 time, did get to ride at track in damp condition too. So I upgraded lines to see if problem correct it itself.

Thank You ALL for reading my long introduction. HOPE i made it a bit entertaining, dramatic. Looking forward to learning more about this bike and all of you In this wonderful forum. Thanks again.
    20200606_174009.jpg received_246840716752660.jpeg 20210111_175003.jpg

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome to VFRW JACBR1KRR.

Great photos. Does the pearl white have multi color metalic in the paint? My '87 CBR 600 was pearl white, and I loved that color.

3. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    The Seller said it was Infinity Pearl White. The Honda logo and VFR logo on the sides. are under the clear coat.

The bike does have a pinkish hue w a slight blueish tint at times. And other times a really bright white color. It really depends of the type of lighting conditions.

I am not sure if "Infinity Pearl White" is from Infinity car manufacturer or if its a paint color name from the paint brand they used .

Seller didn't have a lot more info on bike. I believe they were selling bike from a deseased family member. I am the 2nd owner. Bike was purchased new locally for a little over $9+k in 1998-99. The seller showed me briefly the invoice it was inside owners manual. i wanted to keep invoice it was so cool looking at the rates and prices from back then, But he kept it.

4. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Since I bought this bike to be a potential high mileage commuter bike. I really wanted a low budget bike with no bling. I thought about an EX 250 for the 70+mpg. And its and ugly duckling ( I owned 1 before, GREAT little now maintainence) bike and not risk getting it stolen. But I always wanted an Aprillia RSV4 Factory, loved the sound from the V4 engines. After finding out Honda made V4 and after much research.. The 5th Gen was the goal. I searched high and low. Its funny, I kept passing and passing on this bike. I always stop to look at post and passed on it. ' owner was firm on price, and biked looked good (which I didn't want). Then after NOT RIDING for weeks, and going stir crazy. i went to see it. I did get it for for a ridicuously low price! i didn't want to put $ modifying it or anything. I just wanted to ride it like that. Saving Money is the goal.... But.....

Unfortunately, The speedometer was 10 MPH off, and on express way it was really annoying. Cars would keep passing me by, giving me mover over looks.

- So I did buy a Speedo healer V4 and gear indicator. $$$ There

-Carbon fiber bits. a little expensive. But really upgrade sun faded cockpit area. Will see long they last $$ there.

-VFRness and accessory harness (which i don't know how to use)

- Rubber lines were more then adequate on the street and in retrospect. I regret upgrading lines.... ALOT OF WASTED $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ there. NOT the huge improvement i was expecting. Like over other bikes i owned were I installed SS brake lines and the huge improvement in feel and power in those bikes.

- I heard stock headers rot rust easily, Mine were fine, but didn't want to risk it. Since i knew my riding habits. so i bought New Delkevic so i wouldn't miss the opportunity if the parts were ever discontinued or became hard to find. I paid $90

- bought new OEM internal handle bar weights and parts to replace goofy lightweight cheap aluminum bar ends. handle bars vibrate quite a bit on express, hands go numb. $$$ money there too ( still need to install them)

- Adjusted suspension to my body weight and riding style. Best $60 ever spent on ALL bikes i ever owned! Highly Recommend it to everyone! IT really is not overrated adjust it. IT does make a world of a difference.

Only fluid, i still need to change is the one from the forks. Fork seals are good. I highly doubt, its ever been done. But was not used much, bike runs and handles beautifully. When fork seals go out. I make a decision of upgrading forks or just redoing seals and oil.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Looks like you got a nice 5th gen!

6. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States

I did, Thank You! I only paid $2300 for it. 5th Gen is such a nice bike!

Only thing bike needed was a front tire. Bought New Q3 Front tire. That's why I ended up going to the track. I only go once every 2-3 years when i change tires.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    OMG - you stole it! Great job!
    :bruce2:

8. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Lol... I did get pretty lucky there.

I really wanted keep it as a low budget commuter bike. No upgrades, no performance mods, no nothing. Just ride and track up miles.

That's why I regret getting the SS brake lines. Kinda went away with the no upgrades.

The lines do 20200722_172108.jpg look good. Wasn't a big noticeable difference in braking, not in the street anyways. Involved installation, PITA to bleed lines.

9. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Great looking 5th Gen. You sure did good on that purchase.

10. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Thank You!