V-tech- Over all positive or negative?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Molsan, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    In reading many post and especially what people are looking forward to i see many people are not enamored with the v-tech system.

The VFR has been my first and only bike so i have very few other rides to compare it to.
    But i do enjoy the V-tech, and am unsure why many feel negativly towards the v-tech system.

Also i love my bike and even if i won the lotto i doubt i would replace it.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Oh damn, you are sure stirring up a bloody hornet's nest with that question!!! :laser: :fencing:

BTW, I don't think negatively about the V-TEC...IMO, it is just unnecessary, and makes the engine more complicated....aka...another thing to go wrong......uh oh.....I better hide now.... :peep: :bolt:

3. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    WOW! You did it... I have been thinking about doing a thread like this for a while but didn't have the Kahuna's.

I learned the following quite a while ago:

Reviews are only as good as those reviewing and their own predisposed allegiance's.

Dynos and Graphs vary from one to another as do those running the dynos and doing the measuring.

Even those who own something and have something to say about what they own are biased to some degree. In the end it all boils down to not giving a rats a$$ on what other people think and concentrate on what "you" think (to a point). We shouldn't have to justify to anyone else but our self's... the anyone else's will come and go, you will remain.

My thoughts... The VTEC was a sudden and dramatic departure from what most thought of as standard equip on a MC. I have a extensive mechanical past so the appreciation for the VTEC system makes me warm and fuzzy inside. It did however shock a lot of experienced and hardcore users. Many people would argue that it will suffer from higher maintenance costs. I think this is true. But over the long run won't make that big of a diff really. It is harder to work on yourself, and with bikes working on them yourself is part of the magic. The whole issue with the throttle response, rough transition point seems to vary greatly with bike and rider. From 06 on Honda did improve the transition somewhat by lowering the engagement point to 6400RPM and lowering the re-engagement point to 6100RPM. My bike so far is smooth, but if the day comes where she needs help there are plenty of great mods and smart minds to clean things up.

I love my bike and everything about it. The LBS, ABS, UT Exhaust, Headlights, Chain drive, VTEC, Styling, Frame rigidity, Sidebags, SOUND....

But as I said above the most important thing is what you think. Being that this is your first bike, you are blessed. You don't know any better or worse and as far as you care you are in your happy place. If you went another 20yrs with your ride you would be a happy camper. I am keeping mine as long as it lets me, hopefully forever.

Cheers man, don't let whatever is said get you down. :wave:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    According to a local motorcycle mechanic the main reason for V-Tech was to make the engine quieter and pollute less in order to conform with European regulations. After all, the VFR has a much bigger market in Europe than the states.

In my opinion, the V-Tech is a good answer to try to make a compromise with making a strong engine while pleasing the bureauracy. I prefer the Pre-V-Tech 98-01 models though because I'm not really worried about the environment and my ears ;) Plus the styling of the V-Tech models are just not for me. It looks like it's out to eat children for breakfast. :croc:

The pre-tech 98-01 models though are beautiful and I get compliments/questions at the gas station. My bike ('99 VFR) is one of the two in the world that make me drool (other is Ducati Paul Smart SportClassic). I know it may sound superficial rating bikes according to how it looks but hey, it's my money and I don't want to blow 5 grand to look like a doofus. :der:

Another point is the sound. On my '99 it sounds really good and sometimes I shift later than I should on purpose just to hear the whine.

But hey it's YOUR money and you are free to do whatever you want with it. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your V-Tech model and you do not need my permission or blessing to enjoy it!

5. 5891Jonathan

5891Jonathan New Member

Map
    Psst . . . just ride your bike.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto New Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  7. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

I find the VTEC implementation on my bike pretty agreeable. The only time when I hold the engine below 6500 RPM anyway is when I'm cruising or just babying it around town, so I don't need the extra sound effects. The benefit in emissions, economy, sound control, and perhaps low-RPM torque make it worth it in my opinion.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, I'm with you ^

Thing is the 6th gen has been out so long I'm starting to think VFR owners of new don't even know it came any other way...

9. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Ha, you are so very right, hence why i asked here hoping for a varied sample of responces.

And well posting here comes mainly from the 4" of sno won the ground and i need read about it if i can't do it.

Also i do love my bike, it does everything i want, I rode it from Northern Alberta down to sturgis in 06, Done tons of week long trips through the rockies and into washington.
    I also ride it every day to work...(thats safe...snow= a no go, rain is fine)

It does everything i want...i can ride it for 14 hours, i can ride it with friends on the sport bikes and keep pase or even excede them in many area's, can then go touring with a gold wing and almost match his millage.

I wouldn't mind the hard bags, but thats a way away the soft bags work well, just wish i could lock them and they looked better.

10. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

Haha, perhaps that is the case--the 6th gen really has had a long run. My take is that the VFR has had a unique place in Honda's lineup, at least in the last 10 years or so (the length of time that I've noticed/admired bikes--I'm 30). The addition of VTEC as well as other technological goodies like LBS, ABS, a catalytic converter, etc, just adds to that unique character. All of this while still retaining the sport-bike image and not being a "true" sport-touring bike like an ST or something.

11. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, not to be negative because I am only commenting on what I like and what works good to me - no offense to anyone, but I like what I like and that is it. VTEC is not something I like, want or need - no offense to anyone else who wants it, needs it or likes it. To each his own. Since the inception of the VTEC engine in the VFR I have no interest in upgrading from a 5th Gen VFR. My next new bike will not be a VFR because of the VTEC engine. Why bother buying a new bike you have to get fixed with workaround solutions such as the PCII and PCIII and custom mapping - forget that crap - not for me. Now I see that the recall on the new VTEC bikes is harness related. Well it looks like the people with 6th Gen VFRs are really getting the whammy, high cost for valve alignment and other maint., possible electrial (maybe RR) problems, and that crummy VTEC engine (again no disrespect - not somethng I would want and do not care who wants it - enjoy it if that is what you want). Not a bike I would sell my worst enemy. Looks like the VFR is turning into a Ducati as far as maint and maint costs are concerned - it is a bike that stays in the shop more than on the road given the problems dealers have with getting or maintaining a parts inventory.

12. 5891Jonathan

5891Jonathan New Member

Map
    No, I don't think we can forget it came any other way because guys like you keep reminding us! :tongue:

Oh, I have an '84 VF750F so I remember when they were different. :wink:

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map

Honda for the 6th gen mandated that the emissions meet the EURO specs and handed the project to some poor soul engineer who had to meet that. He probly screwed with the existing 5th gen engine to see if it could get there and after enuff testing they figured the only way to get there was with some variable valve senario. So I'm sure they worked to meet the emissions first and after that had to step back and now figure out how to make it ridable as possible. More complexety, more weight, more gear to work out.

I have riden the '02 and '01 back to back and the difference is quite noticable.
    The 6th had the obvious jump in power at the transition and mid corner just drove me nuts. The 5th motor still has the strong midrange and a seemless pull to the redline. I'll take that over the choke it, open it power curve of the 6th. I hear the later versions are better, but why bother. I have seen lots of threads of 6th owner spending lots of bucks to get it to run right.

The 6th has had a long run and kinda of its own fan base, many owners not nessesariliy in touch with the previous generations. The 5th only ran 4 yrs and the 6th is going on 6 yrs and better. The 6th seems to attract the more pure sport-touring guy like former ST1100 owners and previous gens seem to attact the more hard core sport fooles that want just enuff ergos and wind protection so the weendend in the mountains wont kill you. I definately fit into the more hard core long distance sport bike crowd.

Interesting that 2 bikes of the same basic make-up have really 2 style of character. Yow - another 6th gen vs 5th gen argument.....:roll:

MD

14. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    **Warning Psycho Babble Below**

Not only are we fighting Generations of bikes but most importantly we are fighting generations of riders. There is no way in hell that everyone will agree.

RVFR you hit the nail on the head. It has been out a long time and it has attracted a lot of first time VFR owners to the scene. I think that's why this is such a touchy subject with most Gen 6 people because they really like their bikes and don't like to know of so many that don't. They have also entered into this world (forums) where the Gen 6 represents only the recent 6 years leaving a huge displacement below. In my case I fully understand the social dynamics behind this issue and that they will never be solved.

I think it is important for the Gen 5 and older owners to understand that this is a different bike appealing to a possibly a different crowd.

Also it seems that when people talk about the Gen 6 in a positive way that it makes the Gen 5 crowd feel left behind or it makes them feel that this positive talk is negative towards their bikes... honestly is this the case? It shouldn't be. And if it isn't then why such a Gen 6 bashing all the time. I think the only reason that this thread came about is because Gen 6 owners are having to defend their bikes, even though they (we) shouldn't care.

I think the Gen 6 is a completely different animal than the rest of the VFR's.

I am well aware of how they used to come but there is a reason a I own a Gen 6. Just because I bought a Gen 6 and held back from any other doesn't mean that the "others" are worse.

15. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

I think you may have a point re: Generations.

I was attracted to the 6th gen because I wanted a brand new bike, and I don't want a CBR or an RC51 :)

So far this bike hasn't done anything that turns me off. I would've been equally pleased if the 5th gen had simply persisted. The extra bits in the 6th gen are nice but don't detract from the model it replaces. However, I entered into this VFR ownership world with no prior VFR experience. This is my first impression, and I'm happy with it.

Speculating about the reason for VTEC and a catalytic converter with a decidedly negative tone is not the best way to look at it IMO. Honda has a strong interest in producing clean running engines--you can see it in their cars everyday. The VFR seems like the perfect bike to apply some of that sensibility, and being an everyday owner and rider of such a bike, I think they pulled it off very well.

I have no concerns about reliability. The VTEC systems in Honda cars are significantly more complicated, and they are bulletproof. And I feel reassured that Honda actually issues recalls for problems on these bikes--it could be a lot worse.

16. altransam

altransam New Member

Before buying my RWB, i read a lot about the Vtec and asked couple VFR owners what they thought of their bike, no-one would sell it because of the Vtec, all in all, sum of the whole is too good :biggrin:

As for me, i did about 1000 mi before winter came and i must say that i love it :tongue: might be because over the years, i owned un-common bikes, a 1986 NS 400r (3 cyl 2 stroke) and a 1983 CX-650 Turbo so the Vtec is very similar to the turbo lag on the CX:biggrin:

17. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Couple of thoughts to add fuel to the fire–

There seems to be a wide variance on how the VTEC kicks in on different bikes. Mine is smooth enough that when I have ear plugs in I don’t even notice it. I don’t even think about it coming on in the middle of a turn and I’ve never had it upset the handling of the bike. This may have something to do with riding at altitude, ABQ is around 5500’ above sea level and I haven’t had a chance to take it down to lower altitudes to see if it makes any difference. If the VTEC transition were more abrupt I probably would have passed on the bike myself.

As some of you have already posted the 5th and 6th gens have a very different body styles. I prefer the sharper lines and under seat exhaust but to each his own.

The age of the bike also had something to do with my decision. Like a lot of people I had to borrow money to buy the bike and the bank I used (USAA) would not go more than 4 years old. I wasn’t shopping for a VFR specifically, but it was the right price at the right time.

As far as maintaining the bike I don’t plan on doing the valves until at least 20k and then I’ll do them myself. So I figure running costs are about the same. Yeah, the 6th gens had a wire harness recall but the R/R’s seem to hold up better because of location and case design.

Like almost everyone else I’d like to see the next generation VFR have a better engine, either a bigger V4 with no VTEC or a more sophisticated system similar to the one on cars. Oh, and a top shelf, fully adjustable suspension.

Action

18. 5891Jonathan

5891Jonathan New Member

Map
    Frankly, I would have been happy with either a '98-'01 or an '02-'07. In fact I was looking for a 5th Generation when this screaming deal on my '04 came along. I say ride whatever you want. Or whatever you own. Vtec is what it is. If you like it, ride it. If you don't like it, sell it. There are tons of great bikes out there and lots don't have the word "HONDA" tooled into the side cases. My 2 cents.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  19. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Uh oh, a V-Tec thread in the middle of winter, there is a better chance of KC-10 inviting Legs to dinner than a V-Tec thread not turning ugly :boxing:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  20. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

Uh oh, do VTEC threads usually go pear shaped here? Yikes... in that case consider my $0.02 deposited. :)