Using the Center Stand

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by kmurph38, Sep 20, 2006.

1. kmurph38

kmurph38 New Member

United States
    Map
    Just bought a 1999 VFR800FI. How do you get this whale onto it's center stand??!

-- Ken

2. dsirl

dsirl New Member

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Haha another one of these questions, pretty easy actully, but if you've never done it it's sorta tricky, for the most part its all about leverage and balence and timing. Okay, first off find a good flat spot on concrete, on the VFR there is a grab handle that you'll use with your right hand just under the left side of the seat towards the rear part, then with your left hand grab the left grip, Now with your right foot, oh make sure you have on good shoes with a some what stiff soles, that helps on these first etemps even thou I can do mine bare foot haha its a snap with good shoes. anywho take the center stand and bring it down slightly till you feel it touching the ground, if you can see if you can feel that both lugs are in contact meaning the bike is straight up and down. then with a tug and I mean more of a just hang on tug with your left hand at the same time you'll be pushing down with your right foot on the center stand, and with that your right hand will be pulling up and back on the grab handle there under th seat, then with one clean motion it just sorta pops up. So again light tug on left grip, almost a part of balancing while pushing down on the center stand, this part is really what brings her up due to the leverage with some put a bit of hip into it on center stand, while picking up tug and a slight roll back on the rear grab handle in one motion will bring the VFR up on it's center stand. I know thats alot to take in, thing is just get yourself in a good place to practice not hard just once you figure what it takes then its a brezze, hope that helps.. Oh once there to get it off the center stand get on the VFR and push, maybe a slight rocking forward will bring her down just make sure your on the bike ok...

4. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

A tip I learned to make it easier was to roll the rear tire up onto a 1x4 (or similar), made it a breeze till I really mastered it.

5. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

If not already mentioned, be sure that the handle bars are pointed straight ahead. It makes it easier for the motorcycle to roll back onto the center stand, and it is less likely to get away from you and fall over on it's side. Don't ask me how I know this last bit of information.
    Old_Codger

6. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Good to know that i'm not alone!

I was afraid that I was too wimpy or my legs were just too shot!

Gracias A Dios for the great side stand!:tongue:

7. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Map
    off the senter stand

be carful when you push the bike forward off the stand:eek: I was going to just walk the bike out of the geroge . after coming off the stand I didnt have the brake the bike went to the right and I could not catch it :mad: thats how I droped my 2006 vfr 800 with 16 miles on it.

8. MrDe

MrDe New Member

ouch!! :(

9. Terry C.

Terry C. New Member

Definitely tricky, just push down with your foot on the stand, you can use the rear foot peg to lift up on as well. As you push down and lift the stand does the rest. Keep the side stand down just in case. Best to practice with a buddy on the other side.

10. grinder

grinder New Member

Man that suck, easy to do though, did it with my previous bike but it was an old "project" so who cares. Now I always take it of the stand sitting in the saddle. A bit harder but much easier to control.

11. Navig8r

Navig8r New Member

Thanks to all for their much appreciated technique info...

12. nateshank

nateshank New Member

Did it!!

Did it for the first time tonight! Thanks.

13. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Another note that others haven't mentioned. When taking it off the rear stand, make sure that it is in neutral or you have the clutch in. I have taken mine off the center stand many times and almost tipped it over because of this.

It really isn't a big deal if you always sit on it to take it off the center stand as you can throw a foot down. I know that if I didn't sit on it when I take it off the center stand and had forgotten to have it in neutral I would have tipped it over for sure.

14. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    My 85 I struggled with and after practicing with my wife on one side to help if it got off balance, I eventually mastered it to where putting it up and down was a snap. There was always that split second where it would seem to lose balance right before it made it up.

Now my 1990 on the other hand I havent attempted by my self. With the wife or a buddy helping its easy, but I plan on doing it a bunch with someone there to steady it if I should start to lose my balance before I attempt it unattended.

Course, I am only 5'8 140 lbs. I know its all technique once you get it down.