Upgraded My Snow Blower...

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Knife, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I got tired of using my meager little 8.5 HP 24" Troy Bilt snow blower, so I got something to get the job done quickly:

2-11-2010 9-00-15 AM.jpg 2-11-2010 9-00-44 AM.jpg 2-11-2010 8-57-31 AM.jpg
    2-11-2010 9-01-06 AM.jpg 2-11-2010 9-01-28 AM.jpg

And now for the rest of the story....

If you're tired of anemic, one-lung snowblowers with their slipping drive belts, you might consider Kai Grundt's V8 snow blower which raises the bar on the traditional snow blower in every respect. With electric start, electric block heater, antifreeze heater and eight cylinders, it has no drive belts to freeze up and you'll never get bored with the job, as the 454 cubic inch big block Chevrolet V8 produces 412 horsepower, 430 foot pounds of torque and can throw snow 50 feet at just 3500 rpm.

Nor will you get cold, as the machine has been ingeniously designed to route the engine coolant through the handle bars, with the rear mounted, enclosed radiator keeping the operator nice and cozy.

Maneuvering the massive beast (it has a total wet weight of 912 lbs) is a breeze thanks to the hydraulic-drive 4WD skid steer on independent walking beams which offers a zero turning radius. It's also as fast as you like, with an infinitely adjustable speed range on the drive wheels via dash-mounted flow control. At the opposite end of the scale, it has more than enough torque to pull your car out of the ditch before the hydraulic motors stall!

Adding to the well-balanced feel of the unit, just 15 pounds of down force on the handlebars will lift the auger blade off the ground in order to climb stairs/walkways for ease of snow removal. Safety has and continues to be paramount, with spring return to center "fail safe" type directional controls with emergency stop and tether cords.

Safety is the key theme, with a flashing blue light (as required by law in many areas) being the least of the safety features. No one will fail to hear you with those twin throaty exhausts, which come standard with 92 decibels at the controls, though if the rumble of a V8 exhaust is music to your ears, you can obviously go much louder. Even at the standard baffling, hearing protection is strongly suggested.

The powerful yard machine lights and a dashboard with backlit gauges complete the package to ease the burden of this normally reviled task. The custom 42 inch, two stage auger has a Chevrolet 10-bolt truck differential with spool and a centrifugal auger clutch with shear pin protection, further adding to the image of this automotive themed blower. As each unit is cutom-built, optional extras for the snow blower are both diverse and outrageous as the base unit - There are unlimited auger choices from single to multi stage designs and various motor combinations to suit the religious preferences of the customer (Chevy, Dodge Hemi, Ford) and such exotica as a V-10 or a diesel engine or remote starting can be accommodated. And if, after a while, you feel you've outgrown the 400 horses, this particular engine is well catered for in the performance modification area, with Lunati camshaft, Milodon Gear drive, Holley and Edelbrock components to name a few, and there's always the fuel injected option too, if you feel you need to throw the snow out of the county or ensure your seat in the "neighborhood blower blingster hall of fame."

2. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    This is one of those "for the man who has everything" objects, no?

3. MrDen

MrDen New Member

Almost makes me wish for snow out here in the desert!!!

4. vfr2k2

vfr2k2 New Member

That is just awesome. When I first saw your post I wasn't logged in so the pics just appeared as text. I looked at the avatar first and noted the blower there. I'm sure you'll clear more snow with the one in the pics.

5. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Yea that's all those chebys are worth for blown snow. Probably melts more than it throws. Only works only on warm days. Needs Slick Fifty to make 30hp. Just another "me too" motor. Plenty of spare parts in junk yards for it. Can double as a boat anchor. Hee hee hee ha ha ha I love beating up on those cheby guys!

6. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    It might work as a sand blower if you modify the auger a bit...

7. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Yeah, I used to be a Cheby guy, until the Gubmint took them over. Now it's Ford all the way (and Mercedes, and BMW, and...)

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    OK now for the question that everyone want to know.....What is the best oil to use in those things? :biggrin:

Rollin

9. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Slick 50... Duh!

10. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'll wait to order mine until after the recall when they start putting shrouds over the belts.

That looks like a fun toy but I bet the neighbors don't like it too early in the a.m.!!