Updating "stuff", whether it is needed or not.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RC46-SP2, Jan 14, 2019.

1. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    I was just looking through the Comms thread, and it got me thinking...

What are people's thoughts about updating "stuff" (whether for the bike, or just generally), whether it's needed or not?

As an example, I've collected plenty (a lot) of gear for the bike over the years. If it continues to work/is still supported, I tend to keep hold of it. (Example being the Sena SM5 I have, which is years old now, but works fine...Hell, the same logic could be applied to the bike I ride... ;) )

I have good quality SIDI boots which are years old, but have never been in a crash, and have had limited use. I'll keep them. Same with a lot of the protective gear (I'd draw the line at an older helmet, and do update gloves regularly enough).

What do other people do? Update "when the next one comes out"? Or do you keep/maintain stuff 'till it doesn't work anymore/can't be fixed?

2. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I don't update when new stuff/next gen comes out, simply can't afford to. Nor does it appeal to my sensibility. I ride about 16,000 miles a year, so just the cost of tires, gloves, visors, armor inserts, shock rebuilds, final drive, fork maintenance, engine service, fluids, helmet every few years, etc. is costly enough in my opinion.

I guess for me it just gets updated when it is worn out

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    RC46-SP2 likes this.
  3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    If its not broke why fix it?

I generally keep my gear till its non serviceable. As for electronics my old autocom half paid for the "new " one four years ago when I sold it (it was 8 yrs old then). Cameras get moved down the bikes or replaced when they die.

RC46-SP2 and Mind_Surfer like this.
  4. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I use my stuff up normally. The only exception is helmets which I replace every 6-7 years.

5. Igrok

Igrok New Member

United States
    I'm still rockin' my Joe Rocket boots, pants, jackets that I bought 12 years ago. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.