UGH... possible first looooong trip planned

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Junyr, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    I'm in the Air National Guard and live in Iowa. Coming up I have a two week school that is in Wichata Falls, TX.

Originally when I got the news my plan was to make the ride in two days, stopping about midpoint for a night. I got my paperwork for the trip and they're only allowing one travel day for the 680 mile trip which means they won't cover the hotel. I know I could do it on my own dime, but I was trying to be cheap :tongue1: .

What's the farthest you guys have ridden in a day? 680 miles is a trek even in a cage.. Not sure if I can pull it off in a single day on a bike. I have ridden about 500miles in a day, but it was half in the morning with a good break mid-day, then the ride back...

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  3. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    OK Ok, I suppose it's not that long of a trip, but it is just shy of 700 miles in one day... It'd be my longest single day ride.

As of now I'm planning on doing it. I'll just keep an eye on the weather since I'll be riding right up tornado alley in late march/early april. It could get a bit hairy as far as weather goes.

4. Big Green Valley

Big Green Valley New Member

Map
    1,180 miles in 17 hours + mins. This was for an IBA ride. On some other trips I have cleared between 500 to 700 miles in a day. Now, I have yet to do this kind of mileage on my VFR. All my long trips to date have been on my VTX.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I did more partying than I can remember in the motels right outside of the main gate in Wichita.

Walked back on base one night totally hammered. It was raining so hard, the street was overflowing the gutter. Probably the only way I made it past the gate guard without being turned in. Come to think of it, I made it past the dorm desk guard and up to the second floor where I hurled all down the hallway and passed out in my room.

Many fond memories from Wichita.

6. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    I hear it can be a good time especially since I'm not in tech school. I'm an E-5 (SSgt), headed there for two week 7-level school.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You are in the Air National Guard man. Pull up the panty hose and ride for Gawd's Sake. Or are most there the type with soft baby's bums.

JK

But seriously though. That is not really that long of a ride. Just remember when you stop for fuel, don't just get up and take off after fueling. Walk around the station a few times. This only accounts for a few minutes. Also on the ride, when safe of course, stand up on the foot pegs for a mile or so every so often. I also will keep my passenger pegs lowered and throw my feet over those puppies for a change of position. That is actually quite comfy. May hurt though if you are not wearing boots but of course, you wear ATGATT don't you.

I rode from Chilliwack, BC to Atascadero California, twice now. 1250 miles give or take. First time did it with one full travel day in the middle and two half days at the beginning and end. So the middle day was in reality about 700 miles. For sure it was a bit of a long haul, but I was 54 years old then with back, knee, elbow and wrist issues. Some say mental issues too but WTF. Ride. Then you won't be kicking yourself when you get there and have no bike and someone else does.

8. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    Definately ATGATT.. I have my coretech textile jacket with liner, I have some raingear I can pack, gloves, boots, etc.. I wear it all even on my commute to work.

I'm looking forward to it so far. I'm going to browse around the forums a bit more and look at recommendations for travel tool kit and that kind of stuff.

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    personally I don't like to go much past 300 miles in a day. It's doable, but it gets tedious and I don't want my riding to be tedious. Now, the 330 or 340 miles I did last Sat was through curves and over mountains so I didn't mind that so much. 300 miles of straight slab kinda sucks though.

10. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    Yeah I definately understand that... I'm leaning more toward making it happen since my family live in Texas and I have a brother in law and some nephews who'd love to check the bike out. Also, it's one of those things that I won't know how bad I dislike it until I actually do it once.

11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I did 560 on the stock seat of an '08 with maybe ten short breaks. I got it in the knees toward the end, but no worse for the wear. It was also a primarly twistie ride, and like Reg said, it's very helpfull in keeping your mind off of any discomfort. Not so sure I could pull that distance in a straight line. Maybe leave yourself two days, and if worse comes to worse, bite the bullet and get a room.

12. WilsonFourTwo

WilsonFourTwo New Member

Map
    The longest day trip I've taken on my VFR is 650km/400mi, but I've made Calgary to Vancouver (1000km/700mi) in a day on two separate occasions with my old SV650s.

I find that it helps so see long-haul riding as an athletic endevour. You need to be in good shape, stay well hydrated, and do plenty of stretching.

Here's some of the things I (generally) do on long haul (750km/450mi +) days. I swear that they're the difference between arriving in "3 out of 10" shape and "8 out of 10" shape.

1. Get the blood/body working before I get into the Saddle. Push-ups, jumping jacks, parking lot walk and (most importantly) stretching go a long way. I do this pretty much every time I ride, but especially on the loooooooong days!

2. For every hour on the bike, spend at least 10 minutes off of it. For example, if I go 2 hours between fuel stops, I'll spend 20-30 minutes at the gas station. Walk around and (most importantly) do more stretching. Better to look silly in front of strangers than be a zombie when you arrive at your destination!

3. I stop frequently for 1 or 2 minute water breaks (slam some water, get a new piece of gum, change albums on the ipod, etc).

4. Take an extended mid-day break. I'll have a lighter lunch (soup & sandwich type fare) and then conk out in a local park for an hour or so. I'll usually have a book with me, or I'll buy a moto-mag or watch a couple TV shows on the ipod. 90 minutes off the bike make all the difference, especially if you're out of the midday sun!

5. It's the pace, not a race. Long rides aren't about challenging the terrain, they're about arriving safely......enjoy the ride but take your time.

Enjoy - and Good Luck!

13. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I've done over 600-700 miles in a day before but it becomes something to get finished rather than something you do for fun. Not my idea of a good time. Especially the route you would be riding. Nothing much to see and just lots of miles to cover. It can be done, but it isn't something I'd do and call it a good time. My advice would be to bite the bullet and get a cheap room rather than beat yourself up, especially if you've never done anywhere near that many miles.

And the more tired you get the more likely you are to screw up. Spend $30-40 and take it easy and enjoy the whole thing. Why push it and run the risk of ending up as a hood ornament or road kill?

14. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    I think my longest day was just under 500 miles. southbound along the california coast, then inland to Santa Rosa & the Bay Area. A mixture of mostly twisties & sweepers - some slab. I didn't have a throttle lock & my right hand was really feeing it by the end of the day.
    I friend who is familiar with some long riding recommends: Ride an hour / hour & a half; stop for 5 minutes & walk; ride for an hour hour & a half; get gas; ride for an hour & a half; eat....you get the picture. He can travel great distances with this technique without a lot of fatigue. I tend to ride till i drop, then stop....not sure that is wisest.
    good luck w/ your class.

15. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    I've done 1000 miles in a day before, and did it again the next day. Only got off to gas up, and take quick bathroom breaks. It's easy to do with an ipod, some Er6i headphones, and a throttlemeister. I kinda liked it, actually.

Oh..forgot to say it was with a Corbin, if that makes any difference to you...

16. Bonecarver

Bonecarver New Member

Pipe a good audiobook into your lid and you won't care how long the ride is. A few months ago I did 6,500mi, 2 up, camping all but 2 nights a week. Longest day was between 900-1000mi.

Long slabby rides require audiobooks IMO. You should really check it out if you haven't yet...

17. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Yep. An ipod w/ 25,000 songs. Hit "shuffle". Hit starter button. Enjoy.

18. IA-Mike

IA-Mike New Member

The furthest I've ridden the VFR is 550 in one day coming back from NW Arkansas to Waverly, & I'm an old one. The 2 kids on the the CBR & R1 were standing on the pegs much more than I was. The heat was the biggest problem. Make sure you stay hydrated.

What part of IA are you at? We try to get down to Arkansas every year. Always open for others to come along.

19. Spike

Spike New Member

1,000 miles
    From San Francisco to just outside Pheonix and back in 24 hours

just under 900 miles, I beleive, from San Francisco to Seattle in one day, back several days later

20. vwrxtrd

vwrxtrd New Member