Tyre pressures

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by yiannis, Nov 17, 2006.

1. yiannis

yiannis New Member

I bought a second hand VFR V-tec 2005 and I did not get the manual with it. Can anybody tell me the recommended front/rear tyre pressures?

Thanx in advance

By the way, I love the bike. The second I am on it, the world around me turns into a Playstation game!

Yiannis

2. Gears

Gears New Member

Factory specs. 36 Front 42 Rear. These specs should also be on a sticker on the swing arm.

3. Spike

Spike New Member

be aware that is the PSI measurement, not the BAR numbers, which since you said Tyre, I am guessing might be what you are looking for????

4. Gears

Gears New Member

Didn't think to add the pressures were psi. But I don't think that yiannis would try to inflate a tire to 42 bar... thats something like 618 psi. Talk about a rough ride.

Front 2.50 kPa
    Rear 2.90 kPa

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  5. yiannis

yiannis New Member

Thank you guys...

...I'll figure out the units.

Gears, I'm going straight away in the parking lot to check my swingarm (it's always easier to ask somebody for the answer rather than looking for it isn't it?).

Spike, you're so correct! I am from Greece.

Thanx again

Yiannis.

6. Spike

Spike New Member

Well, I didn't know the conversion off the top of my head, but if it worked out to like 12 PSI, I didn't want someone trying that, or if it worked out to 60PSI, for someone unfamiliar, to try that either. Better to err on the side of over caution, than risk someone getting hurt using unspecified, well, specs. Also, didn't know if worldwide, there were other measurements besides bar and PSI. Gotta remember it is the worldwide web.

7. mdp

mdp New Member

I usually drop 2 to 3psi in the mid-summer months when it's get lots and lots of heat into the tires. I find this really helps cornering stability on this bike...particularly if you're using a sport-touring type tire like the Pilot Road or the Bridgestone BT020.

The 36/42 psi values the handbook quotes is supposed to be for "ideal" conditions which are typically thought of as those close to standard atmosphere and temperature conditions. If it gets really hot/cool or if you are much above sea level, you may wish to make some adjustments in your tire pressures to account for the environmental differences.

8. J800VFR

J800VFR New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    36 PSI = 2.5 bar
    42 PSI =2.9 bar

9. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Another variable is the tire you have... stiff sidewall, compound hardness, etc. Bridgestones have stiff sidewalls, Michelin are much more flexible, etc.