Troubles lowing 86 VFR 700F motor

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by teamhatchett, Feb 29, 2016.

1. teamhatchett

teamhatchett New Member

Sorry if this has already been posted in a previous thread but I could not find any specifics on my issue. I am in the process of rebuilding a 86 VFR 700F and I am working on getting the motor dropped. I have all steps completed as stated in the service manual however, after taking off the side stand nut and the lower nut on the other side I noticed that they were nut and not bolt holding the engine. There are 2 threaded bolts sticking out from the lower motor mounts that I am not sure how to remove. I have all the hanger bolts out and when lowering the engine it just pivots around the lower mount bolts.

Can anyone tell me the process for removing these lower bolts as they are threaded and not sure if there is a special tool or do I need to take them out from the other side which would be under the motor and blocked by the exhaust? The side stand bolt has a place in the middle where I can use a hex tool but not sure if that is the way to remove this threaded bolt from the frame/engine. Seems like I would break the hex tool if I put too much torque on it.

Thank you,
    TeamHatchett

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Make sure that the jack you're using under the engine is adjusted so as to take as much load off those bolts as possible. You don't want the engine weight hanging on just 2 bolts.

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The through bolt with the hex head is the scary part of the job, it can be difficult to remove given the surface area of the large end and the small size of the hex head. I would suggest going ahead and giving it all you have with a quality socket and breaker bar and if that fails try hitting the hex end with a large drift with a clean surface and maybe a little heat on the frame where the large end of the bolt is. Nothing too crazy though.

4. teamhatchett

teamhatchett New Member

Thanks for the updates I will try the suggested. The engine is support by a lift so there is no pressure on the bolts. The right side bolt is still suspect as there is no hex head on it. I will double check to see if there is a way to get it off from underneath. Not sure I will be able to get around the exhaust.

100_2326.jpg 100_2331.jpg