Trading the '03 for the '14 interceptor.

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by edgett, Jun 21, 2014.

1. edgett

edgett New Member

United States
    Map
    I could bitch that it needs more horsepower, but I really can't think of a single time in eleven years of riding the '03 that I was concerned about having more horsepower. My '95, then '99, then '03 were all "enough" and I think this new one will fit the same bill. I'm happy to see that it lost 20 lbs and just got more polished. I'll miss looking at the underseat exhausts, but hope someone's going to get a nice Ti slipon to replace the stock can. The hard luggage mounts are a vast improvement over the erector set fitted to my 6th gen. The new wheels are gorgeous, but will no doubt be a PIA to keep clean. I went into Berkeley Honda today, saw the white '14 and was sold. Anyone who wants a well-kept 6th gen bike - it will be a Berkeley Honda on Thursday. 26,000 miles, virtually new tires, all fluids changed, new brakes (how did I know Honda was coming out with a new bike?). I'll post a ride report as soon as I pick it up.

Steve

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I am going to run over there and see it before it's gone, local dealer does seems too excited about getting one!

3. edgett

edgett New Member

United States
    Map
    They've got two; the white one, which I'm getting and the red, both in the upgraded version with traction control, ABS and adjustable suspension.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Congratulation :thumb:
    Looking forward to your report....:pop2:

5. thethaw

thethaw New Member

I sat on a new red '14 at the local dealer last week....Gorgeous....congrats!!!

6. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    I also sat on and examined a red 14 while waiting on a new tire to be mounted.
    Wish they hadn't covered up the rear wheel with that can. Eager to hear your thoughts. The white would be my choice.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    How much oot the door? Congrats. What tires come on the 14?

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  10. auggius

auggius New Member

United States
    Map
    Tell us if you have issues with the wheels.

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Saw your bike today, sitting in back waiting for you!! I think I like the white better too, but red one was sure purtty.

12. edgett

edgett New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I now have a total of 30 miles on the new one and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I'll give the caveat that I'm a serial VFR owner/addict, having moved from a '95 to a '99 to the '03 and now to this seventh gen (I don't count the VFR1200) moto. With each step, Honda has made subtle improvements specifically aimed at weirdos like me who do not need 160 hp track-day specials. This one feels trimmer, has a more robust engine mapping under 4000 rpm, sits well and is overall a sweet update to a motorcycle I've enjoyed for 18 years and tens of thousands of miles. I love the look of the wheels, but don't look forward to keeping them clean. The all-LED lighting is crisp and the mirror-mounted signals appear more noticeable to oncoming traffic. I haven't yet ridden at night, but expect the LED headlamp to match the HID's I installed on the '03.

Short advert: My '03 is the ABS model, has 28,000 miles, tires, brakes, oil and all fluids were changed at 27,000 (I'd just given up on Honda coming out with a new one about three months ago). It has the Honda hard sided luggage, a Remus Titanium cat-back system, HID low beams (including regulator-saving delayed start) and virtually perfect bodywork. It's on consignment at Berkeley Honda Yamaha for $4k and someone will get a great deal.

Anyway, I was sad to leave the '03 behind, but am extremely happy with this machine. The pearlescent white is just super clean in the sunlight. I thought the deal I got was reasonable and came to $14,690 out the door. This was $13k for the bike, $310 delivery, Marin sales tax and license. It's possible I missed getting a better deal, but I figure the dealer has to make a living as well. Oh, and Scott Dunlavey was absolutely straightforward about the deal and the bike. I still miss my friends the McLeans who owned Motorcycles Unlimited in Corte Madera, but I liked Scott's shop.

I'll add to the report after this weekend, when I hope to put some non-commute miles on the bike. Good riding all!

13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    May I be one of the first to say CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase. Hope you REALLY enjoy the new machine. Since there are now many of us here who might be considered a tad jealous of your new found VFRrrrrrrrrrrrrr, allow me to also say YOU SUCK!!!! LOL

Please don't forget to post up some pics of yourself with riding gear zooming past on the new bike so we can all gaze upon something other than just press release photos. Press photos are nice and all, but a shot of you leaned over scraping a knee in a corner would be just perfect.

Enjoy the new machine. We all know you will.

14. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Now do a Randy to break it in?:glee:

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    where's the sliders. how tippy is this new model?

16. hwyrogue

hwyrogue New Member

Map
    Congrats on the purchase! I checked it out online - that's one sweet bike. I didn't see saddle bags for it, are those not available yet?

17. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not sure you can actually get the saddlebags yet, but they will be available. And with much more integrated mounts...no extra mounting hardware like the 6th gen...yay! I heard they will cost a lot less than the 6th gens, too...another yay!

18. edgett

edgett New Member

United States
    Map
    The bag mounts are really clean and well integrated into the back of the bike, so I'm looking forward to the bags. I do recall they were late coming out with the sixth-gen bags. One plus/minus on the new one is that the pillion seat and grab handles are removable so when you have the rear cowl on it makes a small trunklet. Of course we lose the convenience of the quick change cowl/pillion, but gain the small storage space. The pearl white has to be seen to be believed.

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I hope the two dudes who sat on the new 2014s are not going to be molested by other dudes wanting to touch their asses. At least we can be almost certain that they werent' wearing the now infamous assless chaps affected by you know whom.

No comprendo the bitching aboot wheel cleaning. The front wheel is the least of the problem. Part of the rear wheel problem can be mostly fixed by using one of the more stable chain lube products and cleaning solvent once in awhile. Chain lube mixed with brake dust from maybe overuse of the rear brakes is some tenacious shit. The wheels themselves have a texture or profile that lends to holding in the crud. Painting or powdercoating lends to these textures being more rounded and less attractive to the nasty stuff.

Cleaning a wheel that cannot be raised off the ground is gonna be a bitch all by itself. Centerstands are great if ya have one. Wheel stands are a second best choice.

The big trick is twofold. The cleaning agent and tools and technique.

There are 3-4 cleaning concentrates on the market. Both Walmart and Costco stock them. What ya got is a full strength dilutable (RTFM) stuff that is the same as the supermarket stuff that is four pesos a pop only this stuff is aboot seven pesos a gallon. Walmart's is called "Purple Power" and Costco has a house brand.. The supermarket stuff is labeled "Mr.Clean" . Comparatively , Mr. Clean is Richard Simmons and the concentrate is "Arnie" or maybe even Danny Trejo.

Clean the wheels at the same time the bike is washed. Start the washing by wetting down the whole bike.

Mix up some of the concentrate with water and dump it into an atomizer bottle. A peso at WM.. for a bottle. I dilute the stuff to a 1:1 ratio.. Tools.. Some dudes will use a parts brush. Not a good idea. they scratch paint and even anodized aluminum. Use a 2 to 4" synthetic bristle paint brush with flag tips. I wet the brush with the cleaning stuff too. Squirt on some of the cleaning concentrate and scrub away. I do the chain side first then the lug side. If the wheel is really cruddy, it may have to be done twice.

Then ya wash the wheel with whatever you are using to use in your wash water using the paintbrush. The paintbrush is also great for washing hangers, pegs an peg mounts exposed cases ect.

If ya have a center stand leave the bike on it and start the bike. drop it in first, let out the clutch and let physics work to dry the rear wheel.

We are talking with a little practice maybe ten or fewer added minutes cleaning those wheels.

The cleaner concentrate is good for other stuff too.

20. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Traded my 03 in today on a Red Deluxe with bags(used!, 2650 mi) how are you doing with yours? Weather not great so I hope to get out tomorrow.