Trading on up!

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by thebussman, Jul 20, 2010.

1. thebussman

thebussman New Member

I just sold my 86 500 and bought a 95! she's in rough shape, but mechanically all is sound from what i can tell. looking for some opinions:

1, so I'm 95% sure the front fairing is completely shot, no chance of repairing it, what to do next? i thought about going streetfighter but I'm not sure i like the look of it and i think it would be about as expensive as doing anything else. how do the fiberglass fairings fit?

2, what do you guys like what it comes to tires? what size is good? my co-worker is running a 190 rear seems to fit good. i do about 20% commuting 20% trips on interstates and 60% spirited riding looking for high grip maybe 10,000 miles.

3 she's got 13,000 miles what maintenance does she need other than changing all fluids?

PARTS needed list:
    Center stand
    right side mirror
    right side handlebar weight
    front fairing
    right side chin faring

THANKS!

2. crynsie

crynsie New Member

These guys are your new friends....

David Silver Spares - HOME

I have used them and was impressed. They also have fairings available. not sure on the centre stand tho...but they have everything else.

I have run BT020 and BT021 tyres on mine, they are ok, but if you can, stretch to the BT023's. they are excellent!

Also look at replacing the airfilter and spark plugs.

Have fun!!!

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Run the stock sizes and get the best deal you can. I ususally end up spending under $200 a set and have had good luck with pirelli diablos, dunlop roadsmarts, shinko ravens, conti road attacks, and had a michelin pilot road that lasted forever. I'm hearing good things about the dual compound tires, but you will pay more for them.

4. thebussman

thebussman New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for the tips! David silver spares looks like the way to go on plastics, I'm leaning on Michelin pilot roads for the moment, well see if i can't get a deal though.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    another one sees the light! :pope2:

Those plastics are fixable but that's a lot of work. I know I could do it faster now having done repairs like that but the 1st time took me an eternity. Thought the 2nd coming may happen before I got the thing done.

Plastic welder and some donor plastics to cut up for missing pieces. test fitup after plastic weld, heat to fine tune shape, fiberglass, sand, fiberglass, sand, primer, paint, clear = good as new.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/3rd-4th-...9-new-project-bike-hits-stable-90-vfr750.html

TOE would probably say, "job measured in cases, not cans"

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    That is measured in kegs not cans. Well worth the effort to save the bike but not the upper . Find a new one to work with....that is a loss and you will be better off looking for a better donor or a peach. They pop up from time to time on E-Bay......I know of a few that have a better example.....or just shy of a peach......can ya help a brotha out?

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    duct tape and zip ties........they are shot look into getting a whole new set...but I may want to broken stuff for a project I am trying ......

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    just ride it like that...hell, it's fine...

9. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

10. thebussman

thebussman New Member

well I'll be taking them off soon enough, I'll let you know, you can have em. if i can fix the top fairings and only buy the middle fairings i think I'll be in good shape, we'll see.