Track suit discussion

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by mello dude, Jan 29, 2009.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Kinda picking this up from the track bike thread - anyhoo --

One thing on my wish list is a one piece suit. With the 2 piece I almost need 2 different sizes to make it work and the waist in leather pants always cuts into my gut to be uncomfortable while I'm in a racing crouch.

Any of you track savy guys know of any comparison of one piece suits say $400-$600.
    Something like -- JoeRocket vs Teknic vs Fieldshier vs AlpineStars vs ?

Then perforated or not? Seems non perf would be optimum for that 55 to 75 degree range but too hot for the warmer stuff - and perf for 75 to 95 but to cool for the lower temps. What is your take?

MD

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    MD:

The Technic Chicane suit for its price is supposedly well constructed.

I don't know who you might do track days with, but as a member of NESBA (75.00 per year) they get some really killer deals on suites, tires, boots, etc.

Many times you have to wait till the end of the year, and not be choosey about color. Just an idea if you join a track day org, enjoy the prices thay can get ya!

I have two suits. A Joe Rocket synthetic (two piece) and a Frank Thomas leather suit (one piece). The Frank Thomas suit is 'heavy' and doesn't have many vents, but I needed a leather suit for the track, was low on funds, and it was on sale with a pair of race gauntlet gloves for 280.00 at Cycle Gear in Bear, Delaware.

Next suit will be bought thru NESBA.

BZ

3. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    I haven't purchased from this guy (YET) but froim his reviews on the BayAreaRidersForum his suits are great.

Custom Race Suits

FIXED! Download the catalog as his website is still under construction. You'll be able to see the different suits available.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. chickwebb

chickwebb New Member

I don't think that you're likely to find much in the way of side-by-side comparos. There are a lot of things to look for, but the fact is that the off-the-rack suits are going to be pretty similar. You should pay attention to items like:

Material - Leather type & thickness, use of stretch materials in non-abrasion areas
    Construction - hidden stitching, reinforced and double-butted seams, removable liner (with additional impact protection)
    Armor - CE approved shoulders/elbows/knees/back

As you might imagine, the level of everything - materials, workmanship, protection, features - goes up as the price goes up. And prices can get pretty high.

Perhaps most important is fit. It should be snug - even a bit too snug at first. You don't want the pads moving when you're sliding and if the suit is too loose that'd be a problem. Different manufacturers fit differently (Dianese, for example, seems to be cut for little skinny Italian guys - no surprise there, but not good for many 'mericans). You really, really have to try it on before you buy it. If you don't believe me, go look at CL and see how many "I bought this mail order but it doesn't fit and they want 15% to restock it so I'm selling it here" listings there are. This is a reasonably good discussion: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-leathers/vanson-leathers.htm Fit is, I think, the biggest reason why almost all serious trackday riders and all racers have custom suits.

I would seriously consider adding a high-quality aftermarket back/chest protector and make sure that the suit still fits with it on. They can be bulky.

You definitely want perforations. You can always add layers (underarmor layer underneath, fleece pullover (yes, I said fleece) over the top, a rainsuit if it gets really ugly), but you can't really add perforations. And at most temps that you would want to ride at, leather is HOT and it does not breath. On a hot summer day you will cook without perforations. Unless you live in Scotland. :tongue:

That Alpinestars SG-1 is a great entry level suit. Somebody posted a link to BikeBandit the other day, right? This one? http://www.bikebandit.com/product/5472 Great price. If you can figure out the size for you, this would be fabulous.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
  6. MileHighInterceptor

MileHighInterceptor New Member

I would love to picke up on of the one piece Alpinestars suits. For now since I still need new boots I'll just pick up a set of the Alpinestars Apex pants. I could spring for the Rocket ones that match my jacket but I'd rather pay the money to have the zippers matched. I am a firm believer that Alpinestars makes one of, if not the best, products on the market. (Look at SBK and MotoGP alone.) I have a set of SP-1 Astars gloves that I love. Managed to pick up a couple 15% off on item coupons for my local shop; one for Jan, one for Feb. Figure I'll pick up the pants tomorrow and the boots (Astar) next month.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    your link seems to have a redirect back to us. am I missing something?

8. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    FIXED!!! Thanks R. Dub! :thumb:

9. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Since I just got a new set of leathers I can offer up the experiences recieved-

-if the suit is geared more for the "newbie track/racer" it will stretch less.

-if you haven't tried it on in person be prepared for a long wait time as you ship suits back and forth.

-trying on different suits from different manufacturers, and different styles in the line up, you will be able to the best suit for you and your body type.

-don't buy a suit based on the design, buy it on the fit and finish

-if your uncomfortable the first time you crouch/sit on the bike, keep looking. you want to concentrate on having fun, not thinking about how much your suit is causing you pain.

-driving/riding 4 hours to try on suits is a well made investment, if that is what it takes.

-if you have to spend a little more than you were anticpating to get a suit that fits the best, do so.

-break it in by either riding in some fog/"light" rain, or by riding in the hottest part of the day and sweating in it. It works on Combat boots in Basic, Honest

-buy "Under Armor" or similar type base layers for wear with your suit. the hugging properties of these garments make for easy on and off, and help with moving around in the suit. side benefits are that the cold gear helps keep you warm, and the heat gear helps keep you cool.

I finally settled on Alpinestars RC1 Leathers. I am happy with them, and would buy them again.