Totaled the VFR

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Action, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Well the VFR is totaled. I was riding home from work on Friday Feb 5th about 930 pm. I was approaching an intersection and noticed a couple of cars stopped at a light heading opposite direction waiting to turn left. As I got closer the lead car decided to pull out right in front of me. I braked hard and laid the bike down and ended up hitting the car. Thankfully I had all my gear on and didn’t get any road rash. My helmet took a few good hits but kept my brain from any serious damage. I did end up breaking both arms and my femur. I’m not going into too much detail on the accident because it’s going into litigation.

I spent about 2 weeks in the hospital and another 2 weeks in a rehab center before I could come home. I’m working with Geico on the bike. Currently we’re up to $5000 which is close to what I think the bike is worth. Right now I have no plans to get another bike. My wife never liked me riding and said after this it’s either a bike or her.

I plan on hanging out here for a while and I’ll let you know where the bike ends up in case someone local wants parts off it.

Action

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    oh crap... sorry man, that really isn't a very good story. I'm glad your reasonably okay. A busted Femur is very scary, that's a very big bone. It's a good sign that your home.

edit: :frown: It's just not fair that stupid people can hurt normal people just minding their own business. Were here for ya Action just ask.

3. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    Dude, glad to hear that you're ok. As a volunteer EMT I've seen a fair share of motorcycle accidents on that side and trust me it could have been alot worse. Glad to hear that you were wearing your gear. It really is a lifesaver. Sorry to hear that you won't be riding anymore. Good luck on the rehab.

Adam

4. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Glad to hear you are still sucking oxygen, Action. Hope all the leagal stuff works out well for ya. Maybe you can talk the wife into one them slik T-Rex trikes! Seriously, get well, brother.

5. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Get a new bike and a new wife. My wife tried that crap once, and I got another bike (the next day), and she never made good an the ultimatum.

6. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks VFRBenny but since it will be a while before I can ride, I'm not going to push it.

Action

7. 2thdr

2thdr New Member

Hey Action, so sorry to hear about you bike and your immediate riding future, but I thank the Big Man Upstairs that you are recovering and will walk and talk to tell your story. Maybe you could do some work with the MSF to let riders know the dangers out there. Keep your chin up man...and if your avatar means that you've given service to this free country I live in, thanks so much for that!

Steve

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Action what can I say that has not already been said. Heal up. I can understand your wife's fears for every time you may go out on your ride. But that is part of your make up and she obviously likes what she sees in that make up. The two of you will come to an agreement one way or the other but that can come later. And please do. Stick around. If you don't, we are going to talk about you. Well we will anyways.

9. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Acton, glad to hear that your ok.

10. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Glad you are OK. Get well soon. Time to gather yourself and heal, riding and bikes can always wait. I was just thinking of you the other day, and was planning to PM you some questions on your bike. It can wait. Keep us posted on your recovery.

11. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Glad to here you survived your accident. Take it easy brother.

12. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    You're living everyone's worst nightmare. Getting hurt and then having to grapple with the reality that you might not ride again. I totally understand the reasoning. You can only really understand it if we were in your shoes. Heal up soon.

13. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    man i'm sorry to hear about this heal up & be safe

14. V4FRider

V4FRider New Member

Map
    Pray you heal fast and have the chance to ride again. I am sure your wife is very concerned. at this time. Maybe with time the realazation that anything can happen at anytime to each and everyone of us. Remeber that when the chance to ride again comes that there will be tough decisions that will be made. Just remeber the following and let the decision be made for the right reason.

Don't let the past steal your present. ~Terri Guillemets

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  15. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you're, relatively, alright.

16. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm hoping to be walking without help in two weeks an get the casts off Apr 9th. Ride safe.

Action

17. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Action: I still recall how you got your call sign and would toss you a cold one if you were here. I hope the pain is manageable for you - and your wife. I can relate to having a wife that is more afraid of the risks than understanding the joy/pleasure of riding. She's going to be able to beer, I have yet to get a bike that does that... so you'll have to judge on your situation. Get back on your feet and thanks for sharing with the world. - Nozzle

18. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    Action, I started riding when I was about ten. Stopped riding about sixteen. Thank GOD, I would have killed myself and someone else. Took it back up in my mid thirties. It is a wonderful freedom but dangerous. Take your time, Love your wife first! When its time for another bike you will know it.

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Damn it all, sorry to hear one of the true good guys is down. Hopefully, everything will go well for you and you will get back to normal. Best wishes on a quick and complete recovery.

20. winaje

winaje New Member

Action, from the other side of the world, I wish you well. Take your time, heal your body, and allow the family to heal their emotions. It's a scary thing to have someone you love involved in an accident, especially one that could have easily killed them. It's also likely to be an ultimatum made under massive emotional stress. Revisit the issue in 6 months or a year, when you are fully fit and the dust has settled. Take it from someone who has been there, it's worth just sitting back and letting some time elapse. Once again, my best wishes for a speedy recovery.