Top 3 "must knows" for new vfr owner

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Tyler8pitch, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Tyler8pitch

Tyler8pitch New Member

Hi all. Two things just happened. 1- I just bought a 2010 vfr1200f with 3,000 miles. And 2- I just discovered this forum! I think I scored a time capsule and plan to sort through the bike in the next few weeks. At first glance it seems to be pristine and I was told it had the factory drive shaft recall repair performed. So here's the 100M dollar question. As a new vfr owner, what are your top three must knows about this bike? The must knows can be mechanical suggestions, maintenance related or suggestions as to how to wipe that silly grin off your face. All opinions help! Cheers [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trakrat likes this.
  2. MarkinReno

MarkinReno New Member

United States
    Map
    If your new vfr has the original tires, change them both. Set the suspension on the firm side, spring rate and damping. Get the Guhl reflash.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Trakrat likes this.
  3. MarkinReno

MarkinReno New Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

Trakrat likes this.
  4. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Do not use K&N oil filters.

Lots of people having problems with them leaking or blowing out going down the road. Other filters are okay.

5. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Don't know about your version of a VFR. I have the 8th gen.

You must know that all cages are there to kill you. Ride accordingly.

If you haven't ridden much, or if you have, read some books by Keith Code and others and learn the physics riding and you'll be a better rider.

Use real gasoline not ethanol gas.

Ro Dento likes this.
  6. Tyler8pitch

Tyler8pitch New Member

Thanks all for the recommendations so far. Keep them coming! The guhl sounds interesting. I'll look into it. New tires are on the bike. I couldn't agree more on Keith Code. I read the book many years ago, always helpful for a refresh. I was previously riding a thruxton. In addition I have a track only sv650. I took the vfr out for my first ride this afternoon.. The power transforms my perception of speed as compared to the sv and thrux. It's pretty amazing but you guys already know that!

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Velo or Triumph Thruxton?

Billtr96sn likes this.
  8. Tyler8pitch

Tyler8pitch New Member

Thruxton with an arrow exhaust and the tpusa high compression kit. Very happy with the bike but the wind and twin beat me up on long trips. Hence the move to a vfr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    If you are running the standard pipe disconnect the cable on the servo motor and the quiet flap will stay open. [​IMG]notice I also cut the cross wires out.

10. nic579

nic579 New Member

I have to say that mine had the stock tires and was setup with the suspension on the hard side and it handled for shit like that. I did a fork oil job on the forks at the stock level in service manual and left the spring adjusters all the way out and now "Before the van backed into and destroyed the forks and triples" the bike turned in much better and had good feel and braking confidence.

I do have Continental Road Attack 2 EVO set ready to go on the bike when the front end is back in place.

Were the forks more firm "firm is vague what does that actually tell anyone?" than yours? Hard to say.

As far as I can tell with the rear end at least the stock spring needs to go and possibly the whole shock. The shock is adequate and works taking the bike up in excess of any road legal speeds but is not very compliant and comfortable in ride. I am looking at the Ohlins fork valving for stock forks "dampening and rebound adjustable" and possibly the rear shock. its something like $1200 for the whole shebang.

The first and second gear restrictions need to be removed if they are still in place they make for an odd surging issue in some cases at slow speeds that I found to be dangerous. I got the Bazzaz Z-Bomb dongle. Or get ecu re-flash.

11. MarkinReno

MarkinReno New Member

United States
    Map
    My 2013 had the original Bridgestones with 3500 miles and plenty of tread. The handling was evil.No amount of suspension tweaking would correct the handling issues that were corrected by a simple change to premium sport touring tires. The bike has been ridden 13k miles this year from Death Valley to Prince Rupert, BC. Few freeways and minimal chicken strips.

12. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Mine has Dunlop sport smart which feels great.
    [​IMG]the bike is 1050km old.
    Off on a 2500km round trip to MotoGP at Phillip island on Wednesday. Can't bloody wait.

13. MarkinReno

MarkinReno New Member

United States
    Map
    I find firm to be only in the adjustment range. Subjectively, the spring feels quite soft and compliant hence the increased damping setting.

14. MarkinReno

MarkinReno New Member

United States
    Map

15. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeh, I am soooo bummed that it snowed here, a bit, AND you're telling me you are going to a F@#$%&^g GP!!!! Cheers,Mate!

16. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Yes in 17 hours and 29 minutes. Not that I'm counting or anything.

17. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    The 7th gen is an incredible bike, the power is intoxicating to say the least and it handles fantastic for a bike of it's size. After acclimating to the power, the Don Guhl ECU flash makes it even better! The only gripes I have with the bike is the fairings. Most people seem to have no problem getting them off and on, but they are my nemesis and I hate them. Love the look, hate the method. So I would recommend taking your time. Really take your time!

The OEM exhaust is a boat anchor, find another one ASAP. The sound of the DAM exhaust is the one that I liked best and ended up with eventually. I would save you the money of trying others first.

A fuse block is a good idea if you are going to add any farkles like GPS, cell phone charger, heated grips, pigtail, and etc... Other than that, she's good to go!

18. Tyler8pitch

Tyler8pitch New Member

Excellent suggestions! I agree,,, plenty of power but I love any recommendation which includes improving handling, throttle response and weight savings. I'll do some research on the dam. Would love to know how much weight it would save...

19. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    This is the arrow pipe I'm going with, IMO it's better looking than the DAM and claims to be lighter and have numbers than an akrapovic [​IMG]

20. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    The fairings aren't that hard to get off when you know how, Pricks to get back on however, the side panels are almost a 2 man job.
    I'm dreading it when I have to get to the plugs to fit a quick shifter