Tires... Continued

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Igrok, May 6, 2019.

1. Igrok

Igrok New Member

United States
    I just deleted a 4 paragraph dissertation on my tire experiences :deadhorse:. In order to not bore anyone to death, I'll just ask the question:

Pirelli Angel GTs VS Pilot Road 5's: My riding style is aggressive, I'm coming from a super sport past and tend to push my viffer in the twisties quite hard, but also want a tire that will take me across country without wearing out.

Aaaannnnd go:

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Do you ride in the rain very often?

Igrok likes this.
  3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Sometimes it takes that long to adequately get the point across. This isn't twitter, post whatever ya want.

Igrok likes this.
  4. Igrok

Igrok New Member

United States
    to reply to both posts above: No, I don't ride in the rain unless I have to. The reason I am posting for replies is that the past weekend I was hitting the twisties really aggressive and the rear slipped out on me on more than one occasion. I can and do sometimes control slip to get around curves, but not on the VFR and these certainly weren't expected. It felt like the tire (PR5) had soapy water on it. I looked at the tire afterward and you could see where the rubber had "cooked", way different texture than in the middle of the tire. I'll take pics when I can.

5. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Pr5 tires have a different compound in the center. That's normal. If you ride that aggressively you might want a Pilot Power instead of a Pilot Road. Down side is the tire life is shorter.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I use the Road 5 on my 6 Gen but it’s primarily used for commuting with some touring and the occasional romp through the canyons. Since I don’t usually push it too hard, the last set lasted 10k+ miles and never had an issue in any of the fore mentioned riding scenarios. I even broke them in at the track. That being said, if you’re primarily doing aggressive sport riding, go with something more sport centric.

On my 5 Gen, since it is predominantly used for sport/track riding, I went with the Power RS and with solely track riding last year, I was able to get 1100 miles out of them. Prior to the Power RS, I had run the Pilot Power 3 and usually got 5k or a little more out of them and they never faltered on me. They do get a little greasy when you start to get near the wear indicators, that’s when I knew it was time for new tires, other than that, they do really well.

7. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm no Rossi, but I do like to get busy in the twisties. I wanted something I know would stick, but hopefully last around 5k miles without squaring off too badly. I went with Q3+. My thought is that if I keep them up at 36/42, that they won't wear too quickly. I've got about 600 miles on them now at those pressures and showing no ill effects. I've not had any real slips on them at those pressures, with a medium quick pace. Just a small one where some gravel/sand was washed onto the road. Trail braking into corners is no problem either. I've not taken the Q3+ on the freeway, and don't plan on it if it can be helped.

I figure if grip becomes an issue, I can drop a pound or two and re-evaluate.

I had Angel GTs on my FZ1, the rear was a 190/50 and that was just too flat. I did find the limits of grip with them also, and while a very good tire....not one I'll buy again. A 180/55 on the VFR may be a combo that works better, but I'll sacrifice some mileage to know I've got all the grip I need. I don't ride much in the rain either, so I don't care about most ST tires claims for good wet grip. I'd much rather have dry grip and decent longevity.

Igrok likes this.
  8. Igrok

Igrok New Member

United States
    unfortunately, I have some highway miles that can't be avoided. A dual compound tire makes sense to me, but need more grip on the edge of the tire. If only I had room in my garage for another bike...

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It could be something completely unrelated to the tires, i.e. the suspension, just as an example. Start at the beginning, what are your sag settings? (IMHO, 42 is way too high unless you have the machine loaded to it's max capacity. I would start at 36 and work down.)

Igrok likes this.
  10. Igrok

Igrok New Member

United States
    Good thought process! I plan on re-checking SAG and preload this weekend on suspension.