Time reset

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Jester, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Jester

Jester New Member

Lately I have noticed that when I go to strart the bike, the time and odometer will reset itself. :eek: The battery is charged, I do not know what to do about it. That seems to be the only problem that I have with the bike. Any one have an idea? Thanks! :)

2. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Since any kind of loss of electrical connection will cause this, I would start by checking the battery connections first, make sure they're tight. Next, check and trace your main ground (right side under seat, 3-4 wires tied to single lug bolted to frame). Then, trace the connections to the instrument pod - there are several - using the shop manual will help to ID which connector carries the wires to the clock and odom. Make sure the connector is tight and connections are clean. Also check for any wire harness chafing fore and aft. Do check the condition of the battery as well.
    Some places to start ...
    Scott

3. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

My 01 was doing this not long ago. I checked all the connections etc,... It just turned out that the battery was heading south. Trying to squeeze the last little life out of a dying battery can fry a good R/R. I would go to a dealer or local shop and have them load test the battery. Mine would show 100% charge but still cause trouble. Since changing the battery, everything is back to normal.

Good luck.

Adios,