Throttle lock? What are the options for Gen 8?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Viffer J, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Viffer J

Viffer J New Member

United States
    If my google kungfu is any good it doesn't appear Throttlemeister makes an option for the Gen 8?

What are you folks using? :Noidea: :Pop2:

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I can't say this will definitely work on an 8th Gen but on the 6th Gen handlebars (which I guess are virtually the same) there was ample space for this very cheap, discrete and effective solution.. Best $20 I've spent.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/invisible.html

SkiMad

3. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    I got a bar-end throttle lock from Kaoko (it's like a Throttlemeister but has a knobby grip for easier use with winter gloves). Refer to my order #1929, their document # KT104823, and they should be able to machine to those dimensions. Installation is a bitch, but I have posted a slide show somewhere here.

I also bought an Atlas throttle lock. They have a new model now that should be much easier to use. My (older) model tore a hand ligament during a coast-to-coast trip, so get the new one. It should be better, because bar-end throttle locks are just a stupid idea.

I expect to see some vehement disagreement on my assessment, but that's OK.

4. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    I love Vista Cruise controls and have used them for many years. But it doesn't fit in the tiny gap on the Gen 8 handlebar. It did on the Gen 1, but alas, not on my Gen 8. You could make it fit by disassembling the throttle and turning down the end ridge on the white plastic sleeve on a lathe. I don't have access to a lathe anymore, so I didn't try it.

5. 2027Matt

2027Matt New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a Kaoko - it works but takes a lot of twisting to get it to lock. Get instructions from youtube on removing the Honda bar end and it installs easily.

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Try loosening it and push it in a bit more. It's easy to adjust how it's mounted to reduce the amount of turning required. I got mine down to only half a turn before it holds.

2027Matt likes this.
  7. jcubz

jcubz New Member

United States
  8. jjkidd58

jjkidd58 New Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_0202.JPG i got the vista to work. i had to move my front master cyl a little bit and sand down the sides of the stationary handlebar mount of the vista throttle lock a little to narrow it enough to fit in the space between the master cyl and the right switches. i love it . ive used one of these on each bike ive ever owned

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Samuel and skimad4x4 like this.
  9. jjkidd58

jjkidd58 New Member

United States
    Map
    i used a sanding block and some 100 grit sandpaper to narrow it

10. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    That install and your thinning down modifications are very similar to the solution I used on my 6th Gen. However I opted for the more discrete inverted solution (linked in my earlier post) because it means that support bar is located just below the handlebars rather than limiting access to the Kill Switch. I only use the cruise on long motorway runs - when the ability to occasionally release the right grip and get some feeling back to your fingers again is very welcome.

11. jjkidd58

jjkidd58 New Member

United States
    Map
    i thought that would put the thumb lever close to the plastics when the lock is on

12. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    On my 6th gen I have a Throttlemeister and an Atlas Throttle Lock. The bike had the Throttlemeister on when I bought it. It's just not smooth enough to engage and disengage when 2-up. I put the Atlas Throttle Lock on and it is easy to engage and disengage and butter smooth for the passenger. As John O points out, the new Atlas should be an improvement over the original I have, although I have not had a problem with it.

13. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    You're right. I spotted that originally the gap between the lever and the fairing panel was a bit too close on full right lock - but as you can see it was easily solved by shortening the lever a bit, and it still works perfectly and very easy to get used to engaging and disengaging as and when needed. NB I already had the Dremel out to narrow down the mounting block to fit it in the narrow gap available on the bars - so shortening the lever took a few seconds.

IMG_2753.JPG

For anyone considering this sort of option the big thing to stress with the Vista version is the word "lock" is perhaps a misnomer. It really is simply a throttle position retainer, and even when fully engaged it is still possible to override by turning the throttle fully shut off or indeed rotate the throttle position to select a higher rev speed.

It is also only a tool to use on fast free flowing roads - so empty motorways - just set your speed and enjoy the ability to release you grip on the throttle and get some feeling into your throttle hand every now and then. Brilliant add-on for anyone planning long haul trips with major motorway sections.

The fussy bit with the Vista is setting up the spring retainer pressure. Don't leave fitting to the night before a long ride. You will need test, adjust, test, adjust, until you get the engagement pressure just right for you - not too loose so the throttle progressively shuts off and not too tight requiring a lot of force to over-ride if needed.

Once it is set up right, it rarely requires any attention - but maybe consider applying a dab of blue locktite (the non-setting) version on that dome nut used to set the spring pressure. On one ride I noticed the revs were slowly dropping off and a quick stop confirmed it had started to work itself loose. once tightened back up it works fine.

SkiMad

Samuel likes this.