Thougths on 1991 VFR I bought - Crazy?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by pontiac_banshee, Jul 3, 2007.

1. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    I owned a 86 VF700 in the early 90's and loved and sold it not that long after. My question to those of you who have been in the sport and playing with these bikes is you take on the bike I bought. I truly would appreciate your opinions. My insurance gave me a stink about what it bluebooks for and what I paid.

1991 VFR750FM $4000

8068 miles (actual documented miles)
    Looks like new - That really covers the condition. Looks like a prestine demo
    Alarm system - with pager, seat sensor, proximity warning
    Tank Bra
    1" handle bar risers
    Front to rear LED turn signal and brake light additions.
    Two factory service manual
    One 3rd party manual
    Micrhofiche
    BullDog rear stand
    GIVI VFR rear mount for MonoKey system (no case, damn their expensive)

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Well, that sounds a little high to me, but if it's pristine and you are happy that's what matters the most. I didn't know the insurance company asked how much you pay for a bike? I don't feel like that's their business unless you were trying to get coverage for replacement cost?

3. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

OUCH! 4G's.... That is alot for that no matter what the condition. Sorry, not trying to bash, but you could've gotten a much newer bike with less miles for the same money from a dealer. I don't know where your at but here in Tennessee you can get a Newer 600 for the same cash. With that said-

It's yours now. Have a great time and so long as you feel like you got your money's worth at the end of the ride that's all that matters. Just don't expect the same resale.

P.S. Post some pics

4. zerkle76

zerkle76 New Member

Sorry, but I disagree with everybody on the price. I wanted to find a 1986 VFR 750 in good shape and they were bringing $2000 all the way to 3000 for them so a 1991 for $4000 with it's great conditon and extras seems right in line. Sure you might find one for a little cheaper but if you are satisfied and feel it was a good deal, well then, it probably was.

5. pontiac_banshee

United States
    I got the same pitch from 10 dealers in the state, except none of them them had Honda VFR's let alone anything Honda. Yah for 11 grand they can get you in a new bike. I got basically a new bike I figured but you always have that doubt. I saw an 87 with 2K go on here for 6 grand so that is why it was so hard to decide to pay more than book. I didn't want a 600 or 800 and for 4k you still get a dinged up bike with 30 thousand miles.

There were others on eBay but they were around $2000 to $2500 but with 20K to 59K miles and they all had some defects. I figured the add ons on this knocked it down in price quite a bit. Forgot the stainless steel brake lines front and back.

Here is pic

[​IMG]

6. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Never second guess the purchase, just enjoy the great bike that you just bought. The only one who needs to justify the expense is you. If you did pay more than market value, which is subject to debate, it isn't by much.

I loved my 90 and my 91 VFRs and would not hesitate to own another. I almost bought my last 91 back off the owner so I could export it to Canada and keep it forever. They are a sweet ride!

I just paid $4500 for a clean 98 model with 10k on the clock but it now needs a regulator and the tires are old. So what, I love it anyway! Did I pay too much, who cares.

Hurry up and get some miles on that thing!

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    When I bought my '86 500 and 750, I knew exactly what I was looking for and was willing to pay whatever the price was for a stock and clean specimen. With that said, I knowingly paid way more than book value, but those were the bikes I was looking for. In your case, considering what the bike is, the condition and knowing that there aren't that many out there in that kind of shape. I would have paid what you did and possibly even more.

8. chesthing

chesthing New Member

Book value is just a helpful guide, nothing more. The value listed for a '91 model is with avg miles adding to more than 50k in stock condition. You got the bike you were looking for with a ton of expensive extras and only 8k on it. Feel good about your deal.

9. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    When I was researching 86 vfr750Fs online I saw most for between 2800 to 3200 with poor condition at 2000.

10. vfrcbr919

vfrcbr919 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have owned over 25 motorcycles in the last 15 years(95% of them Honda's), and the one bike that I have kept is my 1993 VFR 750F. Do not get me wrong, I would like to have some of the bikes I have had back, but this has been the only bike that I have had a real attachment to. I have owned a 2000, 2001, and 2004 VFR, and they were all great bikes, but my pearl white 1993 still got more looks and comments than any of the others combined!! If I could still buy a new 1993 I would give over $10,000 for one today. Paying $4,000 for one of the finest bikes ever built sounds like a deal!!!

11. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I think this would be a great thread starter! Most of us have owned several if not many motorcycles over the years that we would love to have back. Lets see what pops up!

12. pontiac_banshee

United States
    Picture AT LAST

This is the bike in question and I AM SO GLAD I BOUGHT IT!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    looks very awesomely pristine. that thing could have just come off the floor. someone took good care of it...

14. btt

btt New Member

Looks awesome. I have seen several in Washington selling for as much if not more. Enjoy!

15. pontiac_banshee

United States
    OK now comes the part where I have been looking for weeks for exhaust for this. All I want to do is add the muffler. The connection to the main exhaust body looks like a common ball / cup joint so I am sure I can find a shop that can do that part and make the pipe. How do I find the muffler cannister that will work with my 1991. Seems like no one carries them anymore for these years. Any help is always appreciated.

16. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    $4k for a 1991 VFR 750.... who cares... the bike is priceless!

$3k, $4k .. the point is you now own one of the best bikes ever built.

Of course, I'm a little biased.. I just got back from riding my '91 VFR750 - 29k.
    (I'm the original owner..and I will never let her go.. NEVER ! ;)

I also took out my new little addition... a V30 Magna... man is that little Magna quick...

You got an incredible bike and a good deal no matter what! No doubt about it!

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! what a find, you did great IMO. as far as exhaust goes, look for a staintune. like many have said it's yours, enjoy, you did just fine.

18. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Oh that's damn sexy... [​IMG]
    Good catch!

And if you're insurance guy don't like it, find a new one.

19. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Most insurance companies don't know a good bike from a hole in the ground. You can always buy "Declaired Value" Insurance. You just have to have the bike appraised by an appraiser (they will know of one in your area). Then they will insure it for that amount. If they don't want to do that, find another bike friendly company. Besides, If you think you got a good deal, you did. I like it. You can't find a decent bike around here for less than 3-4 G's.