Think You're good? Try this!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GreyVF750F, Jan 19, 2017.

1. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
  2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ya. But if he had a real set of balls, he would have taken the ski jump.

3. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    If he had actually done anything worth showing, the video would not have 20 edits in the 15 seconds of him actually riding the bike.

FUCK I hate the short attention span style of videography that is popular today. Everything is shot up close, from down low, at weird angles so you can't see everything and then chopped into tiny little bits like this. The industry must be riddled with nearsighted midgets with ADD.

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    They are called "little people"!

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Been racing on ice for years!

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I agree. I really like the other kind, that are sometimes an hour long that show another bike about 50 yards ahead on some road somewhere. I just wish I knew how to loop them so I didn't have to go to all the trouble of rewinding.

Do you have any vids when you worked for Ferrari? I am a huge fan of them. I got to sit in Pete Lovely's 250 one day. My BMW go to guy worked for Pete. The car was totally restored and won big at Pebble Beach. I think included in the restoration was a paint job. Probably one of the Italian reds.

Not much ice racing in SoCal unless those Zamboni races start to catch on at hockey games.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  7. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    I do not have video. Video was a lot harder to take in 2005/2006, too. If I had my current camera I'd have high tech video all over the damned place, and I don't even like taking video! SLRs are just SO good these days.

I worked boring stuff. Electronics. In dash navigation, which meant most of my drive time was in a chevy or caddilac (same bus, simple conversion) driving in circles in the parking lot while my developers got car sick and worked in shifts to fix positioning problems. Technically, I have worked as a tester for Ferrari, but the truth of the job is that it was largely not glorious or glamorous.

I did spend a month driving around Italy and the South of France in a car with almost 600ft/lbs of torque, though. If you ignore the facts, I can probably spin it into a dream job. And the car (and my Italian coworkers) were genuinely nice.

This was my car:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prototype for the 612 Scaglieti.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Whoazier thats a sweet gig & ride

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Not me! I meant motocycles in general.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Do you think they used tire warmers?

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Just big f****ng spikes that would do a real number on your legs!

12. Badbilly

United States
    It's disappointing that you don't have at least a couple of videos as examples to guide us through those areas that need re shooting and editing. Video cams have sure come a long way. They are getting smaller and smaller. I for one hope this continues; pushing one of those bigass RCA cams on dollys was great as a learning experience and better than mopping the studio floor.

I have a GPS in my chevvy just like the one in the Ferrari. We may be soul brothers who someday will be able to find one another when the technology makes another leap. Could you have had one with stick if you asked?

Facts should never be ignored but they are according to those old Chinese guys who come up stuff like that.

This is the Ferrari I would like to take a couple of laps in.
    http://images61.fotki.com/v249/photos/5/40265/9420476/1189467606_1375ff39c8-vi.jpg

This particular car may not be original and surely it's been repainted. Even the original sponsors in Seattle are unsure of the authenticity of the car. There are several photos of the original in both red and black livery. The red pix show some difference due to the variations in film, lighting and ambient conditions. One of the benefits of video cams even the older models from ten years ago, is auto white balance.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  13. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Cool - I'm reminded of this scene from For Your Eyes Only:

[video=youtube;gSN6EodbL1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSN6EodbL1c[/video]

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Nice-- sure could use that gun set up on LA freeways
    Roger Moore, the worst 007 ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Aren't we passive aggressive? I don't like the choppy ass video editing style. I'm allowed to have an opinion about this. There's a fine line between multiple angles and quick cuts to generate excitement, and a video that's edited like there's something to hide. Or has so many cuts you think the videographer got paid by the edit. If you've been in the business you know precisely what I mean. Use your imagination.

Buddy of mine does all kinds of camera work. Not really a buddy, just someone I run into in town a lot, but we talk. He has done everything from auto racing (Nascar, F1, Indy level) to the olympics. Really earns his keep as he is one of the few who can also splice fiber lines, which is a special treat of a job. Anyway, they still used the giant ass cameras in some of those and he can do everything from the basic point and shoot framing to old school film cameras where you're pulling focus manually for movie style depth of field. He is really proud of his old-school experience. He and another friend, who is a still photographer specializing in race cars, sit there and have arcane discussions about panning with the car and the best angles to "really make the sponsor logos pop." His view of the world as a camera operator is very interesting to hear from someone on the consumer end of his work.

For me? I just think it's amazing that he shoots skiiers and snowboarders. They're doing all their cool ass tricks in a half pipe and he's right in front of them, skiing backwards, watching them through a camera, like this is easy. That shit's more and more done by drone, now, but bygone skills are still great experience.

I didn't get to ask for shit from Ferrari. We were working on dash electronics for the 612 so when I showed up in Maranello we got a 612. Before that we were using chevy rental cars and a converter to simulate the speed pulse signal (Each car had a different frequency, so we had to convert whatever model we were in to what Ferrari used) or Escalades (what Bose used to demo their systems). That was an awful, hard, disorganized nightmare of a job. Compounded by the fact that we were in Italy, and, frankly, anything you've heard about how things get done in Italy is probably mild in comparison to really being there and trying to get anything done.

I went native pretty damned fast. 4 guys in a Ferrari, three being Italian, you end up with a rapid cultural immersion experience. We got stranded for a week in Torino because they gave me the wrong paperwork for the car and the French would have arrested us the instant we left the country. We had a prototype exhaust and a souped up car with the new traction control, so it was loud as fuck and every time I got a new test driver he felt the need to try and get the traction control to break loose. This didn't stop until the 3rd week, when it finally stopped raining so that wasn't fun anymore. Generally, any trip on the autostrada was done like this:
    [​IMG]
    What you're missing from that picture is that there's a phone in his left hand held to his ear. And it was POURING rain.

This is how they drive as a matter of course. It was snowing when I got there and when we ran to the airport to get a rental car the driver went 120mph about 5 feet off the back bumper of a BMW all the way to Bologna. It was explained to me later that he HAD to drive that close because it was foggy and snowy and if he let the car get any farther ahead he wouldn't be able to see it. In Italy, this makes perfect sense.

Dinner generally involved walking around for a couple of hours to find the "right" restaurant someone heard about somewhere, and by the third time we did it this seemed normal to me. The hour of negotiations and phone calls necessary to get us checked in to any hotel (instead of just using my credit card) became normal, also. You just expect that everything involving a phone call, no matter how short, is going to take 20 extra minutes while you find out how the other person's family is doing. They never thought twice about leaving me with a driver/mechanic who had zero English because his girlfriend could translate for us -- she had an Italian/English dictionary. She spent the weekend teaching me the wrong words for things then laughing when I said a dirty word like Cock instead of Rain.

My brand new boss showed up for the last week, once we were done with the Fiat engineer and needed extra help. She never got the Italian way of doing things. She didn't know me and had been told I was a hard driving and rather incorrigible person. After 45 days with only one day off, and three weeks in a car with the clients, I'd pretty much gone limp. Whatever happened, happened. She was flummoxed.

I think we pretty much terrorized her for 5 days and, looking back, I respect her for never crying and only once yelling at the driver "We are not in a race!"

We didn't mean to be cruel to her, but it just happened. Mostly we were joking with each other and she'd get caught in the middle. One of the Italians convinced her I spoke fluent Italian and had learned it in the first two and a half weeks there. We would use words you don't say to girls and she'd beg us to teach her what they meant, but the Italians would get too embarrassed because you don't say those things to women and couldn't adequately explain Gnocca or Cazzo without turning as red as the leather in our car. She was convinced we were hiding things from her and, in her defense, it took a few days before she learned I don't speak Italian and these poor gentlemen were just too ashamed to explain that calling a girl a "cunt" (Gnocca) is actually meant as a compliment, even though no woman takes it that way so you never say it to them.

Mostly, that job meant 140 days a year on the road, being constantly carsick, going months without a day off, having three companies all expecting something different from me, and being woefully underpaid for doing a job very few people could have done. Glad to have done it, but fuck ever doing it again.

16. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States

Wait -- Roger Moore was? I thought the bad Bond was Brosnan since the films were not so good, or Dalton, since he was a whiny bitch.

I'm no expert though. Haven't seen a Bond in years and still think it's all about how much better Sean Connery is than all the others.

17. Badbilly

United States

Thanks for the response. Do you still like pizza?

18. Badbilly

United States
    Some dudes from Seattle doing ice racing up in Canukistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLL___Ux0GE

Raised a few pesos for these guys and they paid us back with choppy video editing and fucking Canadian soundtracks.. Sorry bout that..

There's a tool for inserting those ice spikes one at a time and probably fewer discussions on that subject than here..

19. Badbilly

United States
    Moore was not Connery that's for sure.. The last part of that chase was pretty cool though. Rule Britannia!

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Connery was my favorite but I think Daniel Craig brought it to a new gritty level. The fight scenes and violence were nasty, brutal realistic fight for your life shit.